Dormammu's Popularity

I’m curious about a couple of things…

[LIST]
[]What tier does the general consensus claim Dormammu is in?
[
]When Marvel 3 first came out, I recall Dormammu being much more popular. I don’t think he’s a bad character, why isn’t he used more in pro teams?
[*]Clearly the people at Capcom were very generous with Dormammu when it comes to his Ultimate changes. How do you think these changes will affect his tier stance and popularity come Ultimate?
[/LIST]

Tier:
Most people feel he’s somewhere in the High Tier listing.

Pro Teams:
Dormammu is a difficult character to use, and does not provide the kind of quick results characters like Wolverine or Wesker do. He requires a full team constructed around him, and is not easily tacked on. His assists are rather mediocre. Most importantly, aside from Phoenix, Dormammu finds all of the top characters to be difficult matchups.

Changes:
Stronger characters generally get more players than their weaker iterations. I fail to see how Dormammu will not become more popular in Ultimate unless he ends up being outclassed by some of the new characters, since his matchups have almost all changed for the better among the Vanilla cast.

Most top tier characters, Dorm has many advantages against Sent, Mag and some may say Doom. I find Dante, Wolverine, Akuma Spencer and S.Skrull to be my only struggles otherwise I lose because my c.M after c.L wiffs or because I get caught by a hail marry hyper followed by a DHC to DHC resets (which seems to happen very often)

Sentinel is not a top character, he’s likely high middle. Doom is also not op. Top is something like: Magneto, Phoenix, Wolverine, Wesker, C. Viper, Zero, Dante - not in that order.

I share your matchup difficulties outside of Akuma, and I don’t really fight enough Spencers to know how I handle them, since I’ve never had to really develop a strategy - haha. As long as I watch out for Bionic Lancer, I tend to do fine.

Karst, how do you react to the jumping tatsu, it goes through everything and its recovery is insane.

Thanks for clarifying the top tier for me, never thought Zero would be in that list (Zero is a joke to Dormammu, mostly because Z’s mobility is not safe against Dorm’s M attacks) and thought doom would of been there ( due to best air mobility and every normal being A.dash cancel-able

Pushblock, Flame Carpet. I tend to play a very reserved and defensive Dormammu.

I think Zero is fairly even for Dormammu, but we rarely encounter decent Zero players. Even in tournament play, they are very rare. Most just get hit by Purification spam while trying to dash back and forth in the air or something, haha.

Doom could be top tier, but the tier “scheme” I was using was tournament results. Doom hasn’t had any strong tournament showings thus far.

I agree with the lack of good Zeros in the lime light, but I believe your play style is very different from mine and I think I can learn from yours. I rarely ( maybe once every match if none at all) use Puri or Dark Hole as stand alone. I only use Dark Hole is the opponent is super rushing and they have Wolverine or X-23 (maybe She Hulk). I just have issues with there start up and recovery that I am just too scared to even use them.

I am all about Stalking Flares + assist + Mass Change spam to get combo start ups or gather Dark Spell Charges mostly 2C-1D (mostly because I can use it in the middle of combos and gains soooooo much meter). Once I get 3 charges or that combo going I can guarantee a dead character. my comboes gain 2 meters exactly and that will change in UMVC3 now that combos gain less meter ( and I can feel it hit Dormammu hard).

New mechanics will make traditional combos so I might have to adapt my style to be 50% defense rather than my current 90% offense. ( Stalking Flare is AMAZINGLY BETTER). This will be his new go to level 1 for most players and I am sure it will push his up to top tier for sure. Stalking Flare was already good =D, now it’s AMAZING.

I share your fear of the whiffed Purification/Dark Hole. It’s hilarious and terrifying how a single whiff of those results in a dead Dormammu. I generally use Purification predictively, and then cancel into Stalking Flare. Assuming my opponent has no full-screen hypers, the Purification serves as a wall to absorb projectiles and lock my opponent off while the Flare winds up. I usually don’t use the Stalking Flare for mix-ups, because my team allows for 9 Flares to be fired off with 5 bars of meter, so I usually just opt to chip my opponent out. If I can sense my opponent is submitting to the Flares and is just holding down-back, then I’ll Mass Change M one and kill him with a combo to save some meter. I also rush a lot against opponents, but I have to be careful since I have no assists to protect Dormammu, haha.

Tell me how much better Stalking Flare is! It looks like it recovers in half the time.