Does anyone play Roll?

So, is there anybody out there?

yes. I’ve been playing her for a while now.

team in sig.

Got any useful Roll tricks? My current strategy basically revolves around abusing her sweep to annoy the opponent and using Tron projectile assist to deal damage.

LOL. I use roll and tron sometimes. Team: Rolltron.

Anyway, abuse her throws like crazy. She has decent throw range and can tick throw very well. Nice throw set up is c.lp, c.lp [mini launcher] pause, throw as soon as they land.

-c.lp, c.lp, pause, fp throw [opposite direction] into dooms rocks sets up some nice stuff. after this, while the opponents are getting juggled, you can:

-launch, sj.lp, fk opponent into the rocks, dj.lp, lk, lp, lk, u+fk.
-dash under, sj.fk into the rocks [reset], dj.lp, lk, lp, lk, u+fk.
-dash under to opposite side, j.fp [reset] into rocks, land, j.fp, into rocks, land, dash under, ground throw.

note: throw the opponent in the opposite direction you are facing since doom will show up behind you. This way they eat the rocks, if you throw them in front of you away from doom, theres a chance that they’ll auto roll away.

-her c.lp, c.lp [mini launcher], c.fk will go under some opponents. This will leave an opponent standing and roll on the opposite side. This sets up some nice stuff like:

-c.lp, c.lp, call in tron proj, c.fk [reset], opponent eats rings, launch, sj.lp, lk, lp, lk, fp, u+fk
-c.lp, c.lp, call in doom AAA, c.fk[reset] > above options

Another cool thing about this is even though you switch sides, for a short period of time, you can call an assist and they will appear where roll was instead of where she is now. Its not that long, but it catches people off guard sometimes.

-pick up the leaf shield as soon as possible. I think this is her best assist. You should be activating this every chance you get. It doesnt do chip [IIRC], but it keeps them in block stun with you throw it out and you can wave dash after it, keeping you as close to your opponent ass possible. With roll/doom you want to be next to the opponent.

In corner: c.lk + doom, c.fk XX leavf shield, just as dooms rocks are finishing, c.fk XX leaf shield, as the leaf shield ends, c.lk + doom, c.fk XX leaf shield…repeat. Its ok, I guess. If your opponent pushblocks, throw the leaf shield at him, dash in and repeat.

Random stuff:
-You’re gonna rely heavily on your assist. your AAA should be the best counter to your opponents.
-end all air combos with U+fk because that sends the opponent straight down. You can land, drop doom, jump over and chip.
-air roll buster is a knockdown, if you’r doing any jump chain [j.lp, j.lk, j.fk] on a ground opponent, never end with a Roll buster. It’ll cause roll to float while she puts the buster away. Your opponent can roll, get behind roll, and mix up from there.
-rolls c.lk, c.lk, c.fk [blocked] is very safe. your opponent might try and retailiate, just block and call in your AAA.
-I still havent found much use for her flower bombs. if Im agaist a flying sent, I somes sj. and throw a lp version, but even thats scary to do. So no reall use on that yet.
-Do the switch trick with roll to put her on point. Her c.lk comes out as fast as mags c.lk [IIRC].
-Keep air combos simple. She does crap damage, so dont do any less by getting fancy with DJ combos.
-on big characters midscreen, she can air throw, lp [mid air], and then go to a DJ combo from there since its a reset. On other chacters, it works only in the corner.

Launch, sj.lp, lk, lp, lk, throw, lp, lk, dj.lp, lk, lp, lk, throw, lp XX roll buster XX hyper roll if you wanna get fancy.

-she has 2 launcher set ups on non super armor characters. c.lp, c.lp, s.fk and s.lk/lp, s.fk. Try and find out which launcher works on which character. The same with c.lp, c.lp, c.fk. That only works on certain characters, so going for the slide reset might not work. However, you’re call in doom as well, your slide will be blocked and you’ve got dooms rocks to cover you, so its all good.

What else? I’ll post more later.

peace.

Apologies for the extremely late post, but I felt that, as a Roll player myself, I should contribute my two cents here.

I do agree with what ph!Lop!a says…Roll is a rather excellent ‘tick’ thrower.
Despite that, though, I have trouble against some characters who can actually pull off a quick crouching LK or LP, such as Magneto. What I would do is vary a bit here - throw them as I go up close, or perform Roll’s crouching LK, MK, FK, Roll Buster when they prepare to get thrown again the second time. A few people do get caught by that, but the wiser ones either try to jump away or back off after the sweep. It’s a strategy that works much better in the first game than this one, though.

Anyway, did anybody see the Roll combo videos that this guy, TalonH made?

[media=youtube]M3Bk0unyitw[/media]
[media=youtube]OSol2Hy1-II[/media]

Apparantly, FP acts as a launcher in certain instances. Namely, as soon as your opponent hits the ground and you OTG with Jab. So, LP, FP can actually launch characters, and set them up for even more combos.

To summarise what Talon did, here are a few combos that he pulled off with Roll without any Assists:

1. C. LK, C. MK, C. FK, Roll Buster XX Hyper Roll (In Corner)
  2. Rush Drill, LP, FP, Super Jump, LP, LK, MP, MK, Roll Buster XX Hyper Roll (41 hits, in corner)
  3. LK, FK, Super Jump, LP, LK, MP, MK, quickly Double Jump, LP, LK, MP, MK, Roll Buster XX Hyper Roll (In Corner)

With Assists:

1. (War Machine Repulsor Blast Assist) LK, FK, Assist, FP. When opponent is thrown backwards by Repulsor Blast, Hyper Roll.

2. (Tron Projectile Assist, In Corner) Call Assist, J.Lk, J.MK, J.FK, LK, FK, Super Jump, LP, LK, MP, MK, Roll Buster XX Hyper Roll.

3. (Thanos, Projectile Assist, In Corner) Rush Drill, OTG LP, Roll Buster, Assist (You must time it so the bubble catches them as soon as they get flung backwards by Roll Buster, try calling Thanos as you start the OTG, also, cancel the Roll Buster with Rush Drill as soon as you can), Rush Drill, LP, FP, Super Jump, LP, LK, MP, MK, Roll Buster XX Hyper Roll. (N.B. The video only shows up to the second Rush Drill, but I’m certain that you can continue the combo using the OTG Jab-Fierce Launcher to set them up for a Hyper Roll.)

My current Capcom team is Mega Man/Tron Bonne/Roll in that game.
They can hold their own somewhat, but, as one can expect, Roll can be somewhat of an Achille’s Heel, especially if she’s the last one left. Nowhere as capable of holding her own as in the first game, since the Beat Plane was basically nerfed for her. When I play with her, I basically pair her up with Tron mostly. In a corner, Roll can actually screw with a person’s block with Tron (even the CPU falls for it.) by using the crouching kick combo to force them to block low, immediately call Tron, and attack with J. LK, J. MK while they are forced to block low against Tron’s rings. This (sometimes) causes opponents to get hit, both by the MK and the rings for extra damage, allowing you to pop up, knock them to the ground, force them to block low with C. LK, C. MK, C. FK, rinse, repeat. AA fighters like Psylocke can and will f**k with this, and then some, though.

Anyway, check those videos out. It has somewhat inspired me to try a few new things out with Roll again.

Man, those combos are awesome. Too bad most of the assist combos are somewhat impractical since they use assists that aren’t much help to Roll (except War Machine’s… sort of). As has already been mentioned, Tron is a MUCH better assist for Roll, as are CapCom, Sentinel, and other big-ticket assists.

One practical (albeit INCREDIBLY difficult) thing I picked up from that video was the lk, lk, hk OTG Roll Buster xx Hyper Roll combo on the ground. I had NO idea she could do that in all my years playing this game. Also using the standing hp as a fake launcher was really cool.

Indeed, it is. That FP has opened up a whole new world of possiblities with me when performing combos for Roll. Sadly, though, an opponent can still roll away as they fall from Rush Drill, which really, REALLY sucks, because that FP launcher gives some serious potential to tactical Roll play.

As for that combo…I agree with the sentiment that it’s a pain in the ass to pull off. Half of the time, it doesn’t connect even if I’m close enough and did the combo move for move to a fault.

By the way, try this one out:

• (In Corner) Call Tron Projectile Assist, VERY quickly C. LK, C.MK, C.HK, Hyper Roll

The third ring should pop the opponent up fast enough to get hit by Hyper Roll, and I sometimes DHC into Tron’s Lunch Rush afterwards as she leaves quickly enough to pull it off. The thing about this combo is that it’s not at all difficult to pull off, and it can actually cause some severe damage and setups with it.

Well, I should think that I have… :stuck_out_tongue:

From what I’ve found (maybe I’m wrong?), you can only do one OTG hit per combo. I think I tried to combo out of the second Rush Drill before, only to find I could not hit the opponent. Otherwise, I would have finished with a Hyper Roll.

I’m well aware of the impracticality of most of the stuff seen in those videos. Incidently, I’ve come to hate those two videos for being kinda lame and useless. I’ve been trying to keep to things a little more useful – or at least fun to watch/do – rather than the basic junk seen in those two videos.

Speaking of which, there’s a third which apparently hasn’t been linked in here. [media=youtube]k5bbtYBc-6U[/media]. I’m in the process of making a fourth too, which is turning out much nicer than the first three.

In any case. Despite my obsession with finding as many neat tricks with Roll as I can, I don’t play her in real matches in MvsC2 (I do in MvsC; she was useful enough then). Needless to say, playing Roll in a real match results in total destruction. Anybody who does it and at least has a minor success rate has my respect.

I’ve found a few neat/useful things with Roll in my experimenting, though I’ve yet to pull much of it off in a real fight. One is that, like any double/triple-jumping character, Roll can instantly cancel a hyper jump into a double jump. It doesn’t have much practical use, but if you know what to do with it, it can be useful. See 2:45 of combo video 3. Pulling it off isn’t terribly difficult, and it can even be an infinite combo against characters with the right hitboxes. Doing it more than once in succession, though, is not in my ability. I would suggest not trying it in a real match unless you’ve spent countless hours in practice :stuck_out_tongue:

Another thing is the Leaf Shield’s ability to allow for additional air hits. Doing a double jump air combo is generally hard and more for show, but it’s a lot easier to do if you hit with Leaf Shield (see the last two combos in video 3). Leaf Shield can also be used anywhere Roll Buster can be used for the same effect (example, the trip OTG xx Hyper Roll, same with the aerial rave xx Hyper Roll). If you can manage to bring the Leaf Shield out in a match without it being knocked away instantly (I suppose a useful assist is called for here), it can be useful.

It’s not displayed in the above videos (if I recall), but the Rock Ball has a few uses in the corner as well, and there’s actually a neat way to be able to place it without fear of punishment (I think you can do a Leaf Shield this way too; haven’t tried it yet). If you can start a ground (or air-to-ground) combo in the corner, Thanos’s capture assist will prove useful. If you immediately cancel from MP/HP to Rock Ball/Leaf Shield, you’ve got enough time to then use it after. In Rock Ball’s case, you can restart a ground combo and then finish it off in the air. My fourth video (again, in the makes) has such a combo. Roll gets 17 hits before launching the enemy. The total damage (admittedly, a chunk of it’s from Thanos) isn’t too shabby for a Roll combo (though nothing yet tops the one in combo video 3, and this is discluding throw resets). I find that, if you can pull off a lot of combos with Roll, Thanos makes a great assist (you can call him before/during a launch and send the enemy back down into the bubble, and do a second air combo. One of the easier things to do with him).

And there’s my rant for the new year. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I knew I forgot something. Her aerial HK has a weird property that can let Roll hit the enemy again in the air. I’ve attempted many times to use this in the corner in a loop combo a la the Cyclops infinite, but I cannot hyper jump even after doing a pop up with LK. Probably comes from the fact that it won’t let you do a hyper jump after aerial HP/HK, but I thought perhaps doing LK might reset that switch. Anybody know if there’s actually a way to continue after this, or if any given combo is dead after the HK?

um in my years of using roll/serverbot/tbonne team uh… I forgot everything in the years i haven’t played MvC2…

but I think the corner combo went like launch, jump lp, lk, lk, wait, air throw wait to hit them as they bounce, hp, land, hk launch, lp, lk, lk, wait, lk, hp, hk, hp on landing, hk again, whatever combo since you can’t relaunch more than twice?

i was really hoping the game came out today so i don’t remember exactly how my combo went.

mostly I just used roll’s jump lk overhead with tbonne, and sj double jump with HKs to get meter for other characters (servebot’s chip). that was usually enough to win. and the soccer ball is a good annoyance, it’s stopped people mid combo to save my butt several times. i purposefully miss them so it bounces back later while i purposely wiff a slide or something so they stop blocking trying to counter me and get hit by the ball and then smacked with tbonne. also non-super jump double jump lets you use your assist in the air, so i’d jump over and call tbonne before I landed so she’d come out behind the opponent right when they’d try to AA, or double jump just to get over projectiles and call the assist before landing

You can do as many OTGs in a combo as you like, as long as the following OTGs are quick enough to be “unrollable.” If you try doing c. short > c. roundhouse xx Hyper Grav xx Magnetic Tempest reptitions on the ground, then you’ll see what I’m talking about. After hitting the ground once, any time the opponent hits the ground again, they’ll pop back up immediately unless you hit them somewhere between right before they hit the ground to right as they hit the ground.

found the rollable OTG I used to do for fun but will never work in a real match

near corner lk hk jump lp lk lk wait throw hk, land, hp, jump, lp lk wait throw hk land hp jump lp lp hp hk

the one i can’t link is

near corner lk hk jump lp lk lk hp hk hk land hp jump (blocked) lp lk (guard break) hk finish or land hk jump combo

Isn’t Roll so bad they made her a tier beneath bottom tier called Roll tier?

I like to play Roll from time to time.

Team Roll:[Roll/Storm/Psylocke]–I like using this team from time to time

[Roll/Capcom/Sent] or

[Roll/Megaman/Tron

I play servebot/roll/tron for lols

fun team to play when you’re joking around

I find I’ve been beating a lot of online players while maining Roll lately. A couple of them were pretty good players, too, and I’m pretty sure one of them ragequit after having his Sentinel die because Rock Balls were stopping him from flying and I kept countering his Air FK with Hyper Roll/Iron Man’s AAA. Fun times.

Yes, indeed. You know what they say: puts on top hat and cane
"You can’t spell Roll without LOL!"

I think it’s true in another sense. If you manage to beat people with Roll in this game and get away with it, serious lulz. I once beat a player by the name of BIGbadWOLF187 using ONLY Roll. Didn’t even have to use my assists, even.

I’ll take you on. Look for me on the PSN Network sometime.

Servbot/Tron can actually be quite deadly, if you know how to quickly cross up with Servbot and force your opponent to take all of those rings.

I play Roll.

I love making sentinels cry with her overpowered loops.