Doctor Defense - The zoning and annoying people with Strange thread

hah true

Speaking of which I have tried to keep track of what beats what, I think what would help is what Mystic sword doesn’t beat. These are all I have tested. There are still quite a few I have not really tested like hulk gamma wave, or felicia’s sand splash.

Lvl 3 Mega Buster (Zero)
Scythe (Arthur) with and without gold armor
Axe Toss (Arthur) with and without gold armor
Lance Toss (Arthur) with gold armor.
Piercing Bolt (Hawkeye)
Magnum Shot (Chris)
Whirlwind M, H (Storm)
TK Shot L,M,H (Dark Phoenix)

it loses to all that stuff? =/
i thought standard durability for projectiles is 5 low; mystic sword has 8! i read somewhere that certain beams (regular beams, not hypers) are supposed to beat mystic sword, but they won’t if dr. strange used it early. i’m not really sure how beam durability works, though.

Durability points for beams are dispersed across a certain number of frames. However all the durability points don’t make contact with the beam immediately. If you read the guide, you’ll see beams durability are spread out across the active frames. I think it’s a point per frame with most attacks. So, the reason Mystic sword beats some beams up close instead of far away is because the Mystic sword projectile isn’t stuffed before it can hit the opponent and stop the beams origin. Farther away, the mystic sword will stop the beam until it reaches Strange because it has durability left or because it snuffed out the Mystic sword projectile.

The one thing I need to know about raw-flames: does it beat both Wesker’s gunshot and Spencer’s grapple?

Its SO annoying. You place an EoA to start the long-range game, Spencer wire-grapples you going through it.
You cant start zoning with EoA against Wesker cause he’ll shoot you through it.
Trish’s projectile H makes the higher beam go above the eye and straight to Strange.

Weskers gunshot gets canceled out by the flame.

The only somewhat reliable way to get an eye of agamotto out is to put a red grace, super jump straight up ,
do a flame of the faltine, and then put a eye of agamotto out during your fall.
That way the flame distracts them and you hover over any projectile assist they may have called

Been playing with the Agamotto lock more and more. Backed with hidden missiles, it’s absolutely sinister. I haven’t been able to tell if it makes a difference yet, but when I summon an EoA or IP an already standing Eye and the opponent gets stuck to it, I call missiles, cancel the EoA into another EoA on the ground 1 or 2 hits early, rinse repeat. This almost always guarantees me an EoA onscreen before they recover on the ground. If they block the EoA’s , I start with the Grace Eye Missile pattern, casting daggers and swords when I’m absolutely certain I’m safe. Been getting decent results. Needs more work.

EOA xx Palm into 1 Yellow Grace FOF has been an effective lockdown for me. I additionally throw out M Daggers or M Mystic Sword.

I forgot about nova’s centurion rush H. that shit beats everything! beats piercing bolt no problem

how can we put this thread in the upper part of the forum?

PM one of the UMvC3 mods (Preppy or Diek) and ask them to sticky it. :slight_smile:

Well, I just got here and it is already up. Cool! :smiley:

Hulk’s Gamma wave has some weird properties. Things like C.Viper’s Ex.Thunder knuckle and Thor’s Mighty strikes don’t even go through it, I doubt a projectile would.

I love this thread. My annotations:

1. When i kill a character with SOV i put a grace L (dorm destruction/creation charges style before of dark dimension) if the daggers M or Mystic sword M extra damage is not required. A grace L in the corner assures an OTG, or a futher mixup if the incoming character force Strange to move back to midscreen. two graces L from corner to midscreen is a good defensive setup. A cornered grace L make the flame loop easier as well, and set up a mixup for the incoming character
  2. naked flames can counterplay projectiles that travel above Mystic sword M (doom green laser, wesker gunshot, etc)
  3. EOA is a weak defense against Cap, Vergil, Dante, Wesker, Hulk, Nemesis, Ghost Rider, Thor, Nemesis, etc
  4. the blockstring cr.M, cr.H has more pushback than s.M, s.H
  5. cr.M, crH, EOA is actually safe against some characters (Ryu, Jill, Lv1 Frank, etc) midscreen. cr.M, cr.H, Mystic Sword M is super safe
  6. Illusion beats Helm breaker and Dante Stinger for free
  7. jump up-back, delay, then j.IP/j.H/j.S is a good defense against grounded rushdown. j.IP for regular ground ofence, j.S and j.H against slides and small characters, j.H for crossups
  8. cr.M beats a ton of air stuff. st.M beats a ton of grounded stuff
  9. three graces L above superjump range, then flame, is an amazing tactic both ofensively and defensively
  10. Lv1/2/3 flame go through busters, magnum shots, piercing bolts, dark holes, etc
  11. two graces L in front of DrStrange assure a pick up for SOV, XFC against characters that love to play at/above superjump height. In other words, Strange is the zoner of zoners (lolModok).

this for now :slight_smile:

This.

If you nail the timing on that string, you can get an EoA out before Firebrand’s cr. L which is saying something.

I think, my friend and I tried it and that’s how it appeared to us.
The rest of your post was bomb too.

what level fotf? and which color? i know 3y yellow can beat almost every projectile in the game, but lvl 1 powered fotf will beat mega buster?

i didnt say it “beat”, i said it “go through”. For me there are flames of:

Lv0 (naked flames): no powerup
Lv1 : 1 grace L
Lv2 : 2 graces L
Lv3 : 3 graces L

and this should be the notation used, some people call the lv1 flame as the naked flame. Lv1/2/3 flames go through all that stuff, test in training mode and see for yourself.

I like the Idea of lvl 0 FoF. That’s makes things easier for everyone.

I think this is the best projectile lockdown we’re gonna get. how does EoA>I.P.>:l: grace, FoF when the opponent is far or pushblocking, and :m: grace when they’re close?
But what do you do after this? Teleport?

Only if I throw a dagger out I’d teleport + Cold Star.

I usually do EOA into IP, tiger knee DOD M, call assist, then teleport.

Also, good thread idea tortonon. :smiley: