Do you consider yourself an OG member?

oh holy fuck this brings back a flood of memories.

master akuma :lol:

johnson brothers. their mom had to drop them off at tournaments and later their mom even posted on SRK to say stop making fun of my kids.

omg memories.

but yeah to answer the OP, look at my fucking join date.

Well I have been here long enough that I know better than to respond to unspecified acronyms.

Where is Geekboy? He would close strategy threads faster than the white gets on rice when you pop the lid, and I admire him for it.

Iā€™m OG, but I canā€™t remember why? Must be forgeting things in my old age. RIP Mummy-B!

Probably one of the most-asked (and most tiresome) questions in SRK history: zomg wut is song in evo trailor!?/1/

WHAT IS THAT WEEABOO SHIT

Iā€™m from the same area heā€™s from and just asked the same question yesterday to some friends before even seeing this thread haha. Universe Alignsā€¦

Sent from my Galactus.

Then GTFO. Or die by my hand. EITHER CHOICE WE WIN FAGGOT!

Haha, on a interesting note, people donā€™t say, ā€œGGPOā€, ā€œbeastingā€, ā€œRTSDā€, or ā€œrapeā€ as much or not at all? Still as misogynistic but the stairs arenā€™t mentioned anymore. I remember the dark blue format of the board, then suddenly that huge and ugly ad banner appeared on the left causing everything to be eccentric.

Iā€™m the scrubbiest member of this website.

Sounds like the cries of live chickens in a blender. Remixed to trance.

who iz daigo gaiz iz he sum1 gud?

Thatā€™s the thing; weā€™ll never be OG. This circle jerk is not ours. One day, we can have a thread about how swell 2007 was.

That trailer predates anime, so itā€™s cool and hip. Canā€™t hate on OGs.

Who gives a flying fuck?

I joined in 06, so Iā€™m def not OG, but Iā€™m not an 09ā€™er either. If you want something OG, read this

or go here

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.sf2/about

or watch this

[media=youtube]ykP6lFCvdHM[/media]

or of course, this

[media=youtube]-_AnZ0k8zOs[/media]

On the other hand, if you want something a little less OG, there is always this:

What I can say is that the old SRK forums were awesome. The front page was almost never updated (it was only updated when there was something like EVO or SFII Turbo for XBL was being announced ), so when it actually was updated, you were almost in shock. I recall the headline ā€œHell freezes over: SF IV Announcedā€ or something really similar to that.

Of course, no nostalgic reminicence would be complete without mentioning the rep system. Directly underneath your avatar was a lifebar displayed for the world to see. If you got premium SRK, you got the ability to give positive rep (in life-green) if someone said something awesome, or negative rep (in blood-red) if someone said something really dumb. It was pretty great. Youā€™d have new people come in and when you said something stupid or false, youā€™d get neg repped for it. Sometimes people took it too seriously and got upset at getting neg repped. IIRC, if you didnā€™t have SRK premium, you didnā€™t get told who neg repped you, so itā€™s like if you said something stupid, you had invisible SRK ninjas calling you out on it, so some people who got neg repped would get even more upset and post negative comments in the forums because they had no clue who did it to them. Of course then theyā€™d get neg repped again for it, but thatā€™s the way it went. And it wasnā€™t like the neg rep would go away on its own after a while. The only way to remove it was to get pos repped.

There was also a cycle in the rep system, meaning that once you repped someone (pos or neg), you would have to rep other people a certain number of times before you could rep them again. There were actually threads whose main purpose was to give people positive rep. So if you posted in this thread, the expectation was that everybody in that thread who could would pos rep you. So youā€™d log in, check your profile and youā€™d get colorful messages from others who pos repped you. Sometimes people would be upset at a person because they havenā€™t pos repped them in a while and they would be like, ā€œfine, Iā€™m not reppin you either.ā€ The amount of rep you had was indicated by a number. People would post this number in this thread. Then other people would pos rep them, and after a while, they would post their updated number in another post (ā€œwow, look at how high my rep jumped!!ā€). This served two purposes: the first was just to indicate how much rep they actually had (Itā€™s over 9000!!!) to others; the second was to give another post to pos rep, because any premium srk member could only rep a post exactly once, so rather than posting an empty post, theyā€™d just post the number and a colorful message as well.

Speaking of messages, another reason to increase your rep is that after you obtained a certain number of points, there would be a new message by your avatar. This would range from positive messages about your skill, to negative comments about your character (e.g. ā€œSo-and-soā€ needs to die in a fire). This mechanic actually resulted in a handful of people who wanted to get neg repped. Some just didnā€™t care, but some people wanted to test out the neg rep system just to see what would happen, so they made a neg rep thread just to see what would happen.

Another interesting thing about the rep system is that the more rep you had, the larger the effect would be. This means that if you were new to SRK and said the wrong things to somebody with a ton of rep, you could be two bars in the red off the bat. Also, once you repped someone, there was no taking it back, so if your finger slipped, people would be mad. I believe there was a cap on it eventually. IIRC, Valaris was for the most part the one with the highest amount of rep (most of the time).

So yea, rep was broken, but it was still pretty fun.

In addition to a rep system, we also had the Galaga shields that indicate your post count. Rather than use numbers, there was a series of between 2 and maybe 8-ish shields in your avatar. Think of the way coins and dollars represent how much money you have, but with shields and rep. It was kinda like a badge that made the area where your avatar is at look better. Much as with rep, people made threads where you would ā€œpost what youā€™re thinking at the momemtā€ in order to raise your shiled count. The best was getting that 1000th or so post and all your other shields disappeared and you got a much better-looking shield instead. Then you post until you get like the 10000th post, etc. Again, it was a nice perk available to all members that made the site a little more fun.

We also used to have free arcade games on SRK for a brief period. There were a ton of them too. They kept track of scores, so there would always be somebody whom you cuold compete against. Some scores were ridiculously high. I think the highest I got at one point was second place on a ā€œColumnsā€ clone they had here, but then one guy got this awesome score and put me down to like 4th. I honestly donā€™t understand why SRK got rid of them. They were an interesting addition to this forum. Yea, I could go to some other site and play their games, but when you only browse these forums, it doesnā€™t really make much sense to. Youā€™d post a message, check your panel and suddenly find out that youā€™re no longer in second place, so you gotta get back on there and take your spot back.

Another short-lived idea: SRK had some kind of currency. Not like dollars for XBL points currency, but I remember logging on one day and finding this wierd stat in my panel. AFIK, nothing ever became of this. A similar and more recent (relative to other things Iā€™ve discussed) is the contribution point system. I donā€™t remember if it was just if you got something posted on the front page, but if you did, then you got points for it by your avatar. I donā€™t know if they were good for anything aside from an quantification of what people thought of your work. Keits I believe had one of, if not, the highest scores on this metric. Could you trade them in for anything? I think they were tinkering around with this idea, but I donā€™t think you could.

I do recall a time (and I donā€™t know if itā€™s still going on) where if you did Mr Wizard a favor, he would grant you things on the SRK forums. Iā€™m not in the know BTW, and if Iā€™m wrong about stuff in this paragraph, somebody please feel free to correct me, but Azrael used to have this Fulgore avatar that was something like 1.5 X 2 square inches that I think he got as a result. This is in comparison to nonPremium avatars which were something like 1 x 1 sq inches, and premium which was something like 1.25x 1.5 sq inches. I donā€™t recall the exact specifications, but you saw how huge this avatar was and you were like ā€œHow do I get that?ā€ I think Valaris also got his join date pushed back as a result of doing Mr Wizard a favor. Of course, with the new Xenforo switch Azraelā€™s avatar is a thing of the past, but it was good while it lasted I guess.

Another thing we donā€™t have is a larger color selection. All we have right now is black and white. What we used to have was a red theme, a green theme, a midnight-black theme (which we kinda have now) and of course

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2918/shoryukenky9.png

although evidently there seems to have something comparable to this in Xenforo

http://i2.lulzimg.com/35c44f478d.png

So yea, Iā€™m not really OG, but SF4 isnā€™t my first SF game either. Still, I was lucky enough to experience some of the old SRK before everything changed, though Iā€™m kinda surprised that nobody has started a ā€œLike Meā€ thread yetā€¦ or is this already going on in some dark corner of SRK?

I will never forget Rad ā€œShut up! I almost have a girlfriend!!ā€ Spencer, or Ganj The Firetigerā€¦a Beyblader who Beyblades. Whatever happened to Bekyotchi? Our lady members never last longā€¦

ā€¦specs mentioned Beyblades once. Is that relevant to the quote in my sig? XD

And now for some arbitrary BS. In terms of involvement with fighting games on a semi-serious to serious level, at the very least a hobby, not so much with SRK membership obviously.

1990-1999 or previous: OG
2000-2009: 2nd Generation
2010-2019: 3rd Generation and so onā€¦

Sound fair?

Man I could go for a game of bulletball right now

are u more OG than a fifth-grader?