Do people still participate in original SNES Street Fighter II tournaments?

I know it might be an odd question to ask if people still play a 24 year old game but I was curious if people still play the game in tournaments or would want to still play it. The reason why I ask is because: About 6 months ago my dad got the idea to perhaps start up an old school Street Fighter tournament where people could participate in the original SFII. So I came here to see if people were still interested in that sort of thing.

I used to hold tournaments in my town for that game back in the day. It wasn’t anything serious but there’d be a big-ass bag of candy as the prize. People dug it.

A buddy of mine up in Toronto actually just competed in a SF2Turbo SNES tournament a few months back. I don’t imagine it’s a popular thing, but it does happen here and there.

People still play ST today, so definitely a scene for SF2.

Probably not on the SNES though.

The SNES port was acceptable back then, but nowadays it makes no sense to use it instead of an emulator or actual arcade hardware

Well, there’s the problem with no mirrors allowed in the original WW, though

You can always use SF Anniversary on the PS2 and use only SFII chars/versions, but I don’t know how faithful to the original WW the game would be this way.

I actually have tested those variations before and they seem to be completely faithful to the original. Heck, they even kept the TODs. I actually forgot about the anniversary edition. That would be easier to acquire then several copies of the original or an arcade cabinet. Thanks!

Here in Croatia there is a group that holds Super Street Fighter II tourneys on SNES around 4/5 times a year (in most non anime cons around the country) and I got to say that it gets really hype, especially if you grew up playing it on SNES :wink:

Btw, there are always between 16 and 32 players in the tourneys, which is great for such a nonexistent FGC like the one Croatia has

An online tournament would be great. Not sure if any virtual consoles would support anything like that though.