DIZeLAN Street Fighter IV Open Team 3v3 - Azusa, CA - SAT 08/01/09

Heading to AI for some warm up matches before heading down :]

whos on ur team dashy

hahah awakening? oh man. we have epic battles

Yo Joe, I’ll be getting there around 9:30p-10p, but I’m good to go, too, right? Southtown Syndicate.

• JC Exclusive

logistics got effed up. not sure if team RTNH will be able to make it.

We’re doing a live chat from the tournament. We’re working on getting a stream going.

http://www.gytnews.com/post/154030129/live-from-dizelan-frag-center-street-fighter-iv

–GCII

video is up. go go go

not to be a dick, but i dont see anywhere posted that $4 per person was to be taken out of the pot. i understand the venues need to make money, but ive looked this thread over again and only see a $30 per team entry fee. there is nothing stated about the $4 per person fee. WTF?

so, 30 teams, $4/person, $360 taken from the pot. please explain owner. thanks.

^^^

This “house fee” needs to mentioned up front. I was shocked to find out it was a 40% house fee when asking the dude at the counter after the SF4 3 on 3 was done. lol, I was standing behind Watts’ Team when they got paid out, and their team had a WTF look on their face when the guy behind the counter was telling them about the % of money taken out while paying them.

Tourney holders need to be posting any venue fee info or any pot money taken out info up front. I guess we/SRK always have to ask up front from now on and always assume 100% of pot does not go out to players, shit like this will most likely happen again. The turnout might of been a lot lower if it was known that 40% was being taken out. It is a bit shady to not mention it and then take out that much at the end, almost 1/2 of the pot is gone to the house, which in my humble opinion is too high. The dudes running the place seemed pretty cool, my only complaints would be get fee thing posted up front and get the place to have better air conditioning/ventilation.

Wow.

WOW THATS FCKIN BULLSHIT!!! sorry to hear that watts

damn, :[ House fee shouldve been posted on the main post. Sucks that we got u guys got hidden fee’d

also lol @ the *almost * street fight after the lil guy got DQ’d

Videos from the tourney

http://www.gytnews.com/post/154412030/video-highlights-from-dizelan-frag-center-street

–GCII

@watson - You are correct in that there is nothing posted about $4 per person to be taken out of the pot. However, this omission was not done with an intent to deceive, but rather because I was oblivious to the convention of having to post a separate venue fee. Nothing more than force of habit. In the 7 years that our LAN center has organized, hosted, & administrated various tournaments for different gaming communities, we have never explicitly delineated a separate fee for the facility. It has just been generally accepted by all involved that running a tournament is work, and that some cost will be incurred for carrying out that extra work. If you felt cheated, swindled, or that your time was wasted, then I sincerely apologize for that. Again, this was not the intent. Chalk it up to a genuine lack of experience in hosting a fighting game tournament for the hardcore, and being unaware of all the duties one accepts when volunteering to act as a host.

When brainstorming for an appropriate prize level for the top finishers, we took a few things into consideration with the goal of making an educated decision.

The first being our past tournaments for other games. No surprise. Go with what you know.

Secondly, we referred to the Arcade Inifinity blog, paying attention to how they charge for their Ranbat season. “$4 Entry Fee + $1 towards Big Pot that goes toward the winner of the most points at the end of the season.” I thought to myself, “Wow, just 20%? We can exceed that.” At 60%, we’re going triple what we perceive to be norm.

Thirdly, one of my local players had a chat with Alex Valle via AIM several weeks prior to the tournament. When the subject of hosting an SF4 tournament was broached, he expressed the following thoughts: Words to the effect of “No lame prizes like t-shirts, gift cards, or cans of energy drinks…”; “Aim to make it big…”; “Food is good!”.

When all was said and done, a total of $560.00 cash was awarded in the following breakdown:
1st - $390.00 to YJDK
2nd - $120.00 to R.U.N.
3rd - $50.00 to Black Money

@GCII - Much thanks to you and the staff for even considering covering this event. It was an unexpected honor.
@eboNicS - Thank you for lending your lens and eye for this event. Beautiful pictures!

Finally, a word from the man himself.

Maybe this will smooth things over?

you do know that AI does not take any money from the pot right? what $4+$1 means.

$4 is going towards pot of tournament, and all $4 entries combined are divided up 70/20/10 as standard. The $1 that is taken out is added up EVERY ranbat, with the winner of the entire ranbat series being awarded the sum of all those $1 collected from every $5 entry fee.

so in actuality, its 100%.

the problem with this entire situation is that you never posted that you were going to take a 40% cut, and had you posted that you were going to take a 40% cut, i would certainly guarantee you wouldnt have gotten the turnout you did. obv the right thing to do is to divide that money to all the top placers, and chalk it up to your mistake as not being prepared as a host because really there is no misunderstanding here, and you and only you made the mistake. Or you could just apologize as you just did, and leave it that, unfortunately with that, the damage to your reputation has already been done with how you took money from the pot which was never posted, ran a poor tournament, and took forever to respond to these allegations.

I can understand taking a 10-20% cut because you obv have to make money too, but really 40% is pretty fucking ridiculous.

You are not exceeding the payout of AI at 60%, they pay out 100%, NOT 20% ($1 to overall ranbat’s points leader) only. Dont BS like you were going to pay out " triple " more than AI with 60%. It is not greater than 100%, lol GFTO with that BS.

The $5 per person, $4 gets paid out on the day and the $1 per person gets saved for the overall season points champ, 100% PAY OUT. Since you looked at the AI blog, why did you not see when they did their 3 on 3 and collected $30 per team that was paid out 100% to 1st/2nd/3rd.

What you collected that day:

$30 x 30 teams = $900
$560 prize money paid out

$340 house took.
$90 taco fee if you want to take it out since you gave everyone one $1 taco.

I think you can win over the SRK crowd here to attend more of your future tourneys if you plan on having more by paying them out for your mistake of not posting. It is the right thing to do, pay out the $340 to the rest of the top 3 players’ team since it was not mentioned. Or $250 since you gave everyone a $1 taco (to all the players, though some did not get one who entered). I was just a spectator and bought $5 worth of tacos/tamales and $2 in drinks from your place. You can easily cover your venue fees by asking participants to support you by buying food and drinks.

If you can win these people over and if you decide to appease them, next time I would recommend making your money off food and drinks you can sell and paying out 100%. OR if you have to charge a venue fee keep it separate from the prize money like $10+$2(venue fee) I recommend no more than 20% or if you need to charge, or your 40% charge $10+$4(venue fee) in your case.

If you leave things the way it is now, I do not think the community will attend any of your events in the future. If you care to do what is right, talk it over with Watts and the teams that won prize money to come to a fair solution if you think my solution is not fair.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow, the way AI does things is godlike O_o and 25cent SF4?

(Why BB is 50cents, I do not know.)

bb is 50 cents until he recoups his losses from buying the machine. one he makes his money back, he puts it to a quarter. same thing happened with sf4.

never shit on Arcade Infinity buddy
that was the lamest attempt to rationalize your mistake
AI has never dicked anyone

Nam, I see a promising future for you as a lawyer

he nvr shit on a.i bro. he was just using a.i’s payout as an example of how we were trying to do ours. he said sorry and all tensions are gone.