Dhalsim Q&A Thread

Forward, down, downforward, upforward I think is what’s best for attacking IAT. For retreat upback, downback, back gives more height to get a hk or mp out.

i got it down. i’ll give you a little tip - if you aren’t using 3p and 3k buttons, do it. i was really struggling with getting his 3k one to come out when i was pressing x, o and r2 simultaneously (on the ps4 pad).

i then switched to my hori pad where it has 6 face buttons, as well as 2 on the right shoulder (r1 and r2 can become l1 and l2 if you set them that way). so i have the face r1 and r2 buttons set to 3p and 3k, along with shoulder r1 and r2 becoming l1 and l2 and i’ve set them to hard punch and hard kick. i’ve decided to keep it this way because when i play ken i can then plink hard punch into kens v-skill a lot easier.

the other advantage of using 3p and 3k buttons in this game is that they option select into v-trigger during combos too, so no accidental v-trigger.

another thing - back + 3K actually gives you dhalism’s back medium kick which makes his teleport combos super easy as you only have to focus on 3 buttons - 3p, 3k and lp (for lp flame).

I already do that. I can get a regular teleport everytime so the f,d,df motion is not the problem. Seems like the last part (uf+3P) is. I might be too slow, always have problems doing instant air projectiles in MKX as well.

The Basics: How to Play Dhalsim in Street Fighter V

Can someone show sim’s crush counters and how to punish opponents using this method? Thanks.

Don’t do uf+3P. You want to let the pre-jump frames fly before you hit 3P.

As a long time advanced beginner/intermediate player I want to really crack down and improve my game with the release of SFV. However I’m worried that playing Dhalsim (my favorite character) might not really improve my fundamentals and at worst could give me bad habits due to his strange playstyle. Do y’all think that Dhalsim is a poor choice for learning? I will say that pressure/oki is the weakest part of my game currently, so maybe Sim could help with that.

I think you should play who you want. Sim seems pretty strong at the moment so learning him now may be not such a bad idea.

For the instant teleport I started off just doing a spd motion basically. If I want to go forward I start in df then go clockwise and end in uf. Do not do it fast take it nice n slow. You can also go from uf counter clockwise to df but you have to real precise. Also another way to do it is using the EO dp then uf.

Edit…you can also use guiles super motion shortcut from ST.

Is there any use for iat back teleport?

I would say stop from some rushing you down. Back teleport hk

i know back teleport is fine for getting away
I’m just asking is there any need for instant air back teleport

Faster recovery after the teleport and you get the option to put out an air-normal/gale. You should never really teleport on the ground unless of course you’re doing it as a reversal after you get knocked down.

Right, don’t teleport without IAT except in the reversal situation like Em-Man said. Otherwise, you’re just stuck in recovery frames.

are there any setups that punish a character trying to quick rise against Sim? It seems like quick rise really negates Sim’s ability to impose Oki IAT mixups. Is there anything I can do to make them think twice?

I’ve been trying to do the forward throw, whiff standing jab, crouching mk, back mk link on players that quick recover. But I miss the link more often than I hit the link between the two medium kicks. Is there a trick to hitting it more consistently?

I’m having problems just like some of you with execution, but here is what I noticed and has been helping me a little bit. IAT after Yogar Fire I would miss a lot, I kind of figured out that its because I’m following SFIV rhythm. I don’t know the frames but I believe it may take longer to recover and the start-up is longer. I was inputting IAT too quick. Once I waited a little more to do IAT it was more consistent. I still need to work on the timing. I also looked at my inputs and realized that sometimes if I was slightly off on pressing 3p I would get an input I would get a plink looking input and not 3p. I assigned a button to 3p and I was more consistent. I don’t like that though so I’m just trying to make sure I hit 3p correctly. I just thing it will take some time of playing and training mode to get it. Just go into training and do some IAT drills for for a couple minutes every time you play :slight_smile:

Some updated advice on doing TK Gales: the motion is most like 63219, in number notation (41237 on P2 side). You can cut out a few of the inputs to make it more snappy this way.

TK Gale, pretty much, since it’s active for so long and has tons of + frames.

Depending on how low/high you are to the ground, back teleport j.HK is great at keeping people honest from jumping at you. Some moves will trade with it, though (a few of Nash’s air normals come to mind, not sure which ones). Some things will even outright beat it. There doesn’t seem to be much that will, and so far the most glaring example is one of Laura’s grabs, which will scoop your limbs up like it’s nothing.

Pretty sure you gotta hit back to make it work. So it would be 632149, if I’m not mistaken.