Dhalsim Match Up Thread

Discuss your thoughts and tactics for this match up here -

This seems kinda disadvantageous for Guile?

Make sure to have that jab ready for Instant Teleport.

Being predictabel with booms can get you a a Teleport or long normal to the face. Similarly his normals are much longer than Guile.s It seems the best way is to somehow get in on him. Or only save Booms/normals when you think he’ll throw them out.

This match could be a very bad one. There’s probably a very deep meta game going on that takes a few hundred matches to figure out, so I don’t want to jump the gun just yet.

If you block a st mk or st mp then a sonic boom will beat their next st mk or st mp. Once they start respecting the boom they will likely go for slides, st hp and teleports. Then you can start using jump in hk to punish the st hp.
Tp and slide you can wait and punish on reaction. If you read the teleport you can get a cc st hp for good damage.
When the Sim player respects you, throw light booms, if they jump and v skill you can throw light booms to try and make them land on it. Basically throw many booms and jump in to stop them from getting st hp out. And don’t forget to bait out teleports and slides.

Although this match-up is tough, it generally tends to be a matter of who gains an advantage first. The player with the health lead can almost always usually conserve and secure it. Guile can play this matchup patiently or even pretty aggressively sometimes–i’ve experimented with both approaches. Dancing & staying right within the maximum range of Dhalsim’s limbs while throwing booms and attempting whiff punishing w/ Sobat, Jabs, St. HK, (or if you have the reads, St. HP and at certain closer ranges, Flash Kicks) can truly disrupt a dhalsims limb game, and condition the dhalsim to try different things.

As mentioned in the post above, throwing light booms will entice the dhalsim to respect your booms and may then begin trying things like slide, st. hp, jumps, and teleports. In this situation is where Guile can find aggression oppurtunities such as smart jump-ins or punishing things like slide/teleport.

Additionally, using your V-skill and following V-skill slow booms on their way in to get in on dhalsim is important. The slow V-Skill booms serve as a shield and allow you to progress, as well as often times either the boom or the V-Skill itself can bait the dhalsim to teleport or jump in an attempt to avoid the impending Freedom heading his way!

**V-Trigger: IF you manage to get a jump-in or a crush counter on Dhalsim, utilize your V-trigger to extend your combos and squeeze alllll the juice you can out of the oppurtunities when you get in on Sim, as they may be few. I feel that using V-trigger as a combo extender, as well as for V-reversals (especially V-reversing Dhalsim’s V-trigger) is the best and most useful application of v-gauge in this matchup. Using V-trigger in the neutral game and throwing strings of booms will just be avoided and bypassed by dhalsim’s slide and teleport.

Of course, this is all just my two-cents. I hope this helps!

Chr HP beats his teleport easy. I’ve been hitting dhalsm with that then dashing forward for the throw. once he gets trained tech the throw you can start dashing in and going for standing HP. I’ve been crush countering dhalsm consistently. And its pretty much safe on block since dhalsm’s jab is 4 frames.

Also if dhalsm does a knockdown and follows up with a teleport, you can go for a ex flash kick. Ex flash kick is full projectile invincible.

ex.fk is full invuln. from frames 1 through 9.

I just got wrecked by a good Sim. I don’t get to play many Sims and when I do I narrowly lose because of lack of matchup knowledge and frustration. It does seem whoever gets the life lead first is the favorite though. I’m also used to having a focus attack lol.

Anyways, during the matchup I was eating a lot of his st.mp and st.mk and not punishing or doing anything about it. This made me decide to go into training mode to figure out some punishes. Cr.hp is definitely the best one for st.mp. Sweep seems the best for his st.mk. You can use a ton of other stuff too but it all seems really inconsistent.

Light sonic boom seems to mess with his limbs too. Will have to try to remember that. Will leave these here -

EDIT - I basically just messed around in a first to 5 against a Sim trying out stuff with cr.hp and it is indeed one of Guile’s best buttons against him. Along with what I’ve posted earlier, it can stuff his st.mk if you get lucky too. It’s also good against his some of his slides (not sure what strength) if it’s already active slightly before his slide. As mentioned in previous posts, it’s good against his teleport too.

Be aware of guiles crouching fierce crush counter now. Thanks to Dhalsim’s weird teleport and elongate limbs, there are a lot of chances to get crush counters with anti airs. I was playing a dhalsim multiple times today and I crush countered him after he teleported than followed up with the juggle. I hit this pretty consistently.

hey guys haven’t tried this in practice yet but from testing I believe it should work. If you backdash the instant the round starts (I think it has to be on the first frame), then you will avoid any st mk, st mp, st hp or st hk from your opponent. In addition to this, if they use st hp then you have a very small window (possibly 1 frame also) where you can whiff punish it with a sweep. You can do this on reaction to the st hp as long as you’re looking for it.
Additionally, a bazooka knee should beat either st mk or st mp at the beginning of the round (might also be 1 frame), but this is a bit riskier.

This is a matchup that I just can’t win