Dhalsim General Discussion

Fakes can either be used on an incredible high level and with deep intentions, or on a more shallow level:

If you are a beginner abel player, you might know that you can ultra through fireballs, and be looking for one, to let the ultra rip. This abel player knows this much, but might not be very familiar with the animation of the fireball being thrown, and will often throw out the ultra as soon as he sees movement from the opponent. This is a shallow level.

If daigo plays against arturo, he knows that arturo loves his standing fierce, and also know that, with the right spacing, he can react and sweep the FP. Daigo knows what animation to look for, and won’t easily be baited by a standing LP or b.short. He might however, take the bait if arturo does a crouching b. LP or FP.

My point is: The more advaced you opponent is, the more important is it to think about waht fakes to use.

If your opponent isn’t paying that much attention, I would say a standing light punch or b.short would be the fakes of choise. Why? Because b.short is dhalsims fastest poke, and standing lp doesnt need a back motion, which makes it easier and faster to use.

If the opponent is paying attention, I would use b.short to fake all kicks, and crouching b. lp to fake FP (which is the limb you want to fake in most situations)

If the opponent is reacting on sound, you might want to use yoga tower for that sweet “Yoga”:slight_smile:

Just my 2 cent!

Yoga tower can also be used to vary up timing. If you use it, let it sit for a bit, then come out of it with a s.FP the opponent can grow to expect that timing on the tower. If you then use it and then quickly cancel into a s.FP you can often land a hit as they try to close the distance.

sorry if this is out of place… generally is it allowed to assign “throw” or “focus” as a single button if you are playing in a tournament?

In our local tournaments people are not allowed to do anything that isn’t available on an arcade cabinet (with the exception of 3P and 3K).

Granted, half of our games are played on a Vewlix cabinet that has been modded to run a 360 and have 2 control setups. (Game Galaxy Arcade - Nashville, TN)

Truthfully, unless it’s a really big sanctioned tournament such as EVO or ECC or FR, etc… I really don’t think that your opponent/organizer is going to mind — just be honest in advance and ask your opponent if they have any grudges to you doing it, it’s NOT like you’re programming one button to do an ultra or that you’re using turbo… and if they’re vocal about it, then just play with a normal control scheme. I played in a tournament a few weeks ago where my opp used one of the alternate buttons for a focus attack. Didn’t bother me whatsoever… truthfully, if it steps your game up, by all means, go for it. Keep in mind that this is not going to be the voice of all players, just my personal opinion. To avoid being ostracized, might be wise to ask the tournament director in advance though. He’ll likely tell you it’ll be to the discretion of your opponent.

So, if you’re going to follow GoP’s advice then you’re at a disadvantage since you can’t have a single control schema. This will make you second guess your moves and will cost you.

If there’s a chance that people will not allow it, then you’re best off practicing a scheme that is universally allowed.

Well, using one button for a focus attack is now ingrained into the muscle memory of this player. Naturally, it would be best for him to try to adapt the universally accepted 6 button layout and standard focus of mp+mk, but hey… it’s his style. I just hope he doesn’t get penalized for it at a tournament. Good luck to him, either way :slight_smile:

Dhalsim and I have an interesting relationship. It may even be abusive in a sense. I use him for a while, then I start to get the crap kicked out of me, so I leave him and see other people. Then, a couple months later, I go crawling back, begging for forgiveness and he lets me back into his life each time. And each time I say it is going to be different, only for me to leave him again…

Let’s see if i can stick it out with Dhalsim this time. It feels like its been a while, ol’ buddy! :slight_smile:

Same here. Sometimes I get sick of having to play defensive all the time and I long to play an offensive minded character…so I’ll pick Rufus or Ryu. Then I realize that I suck with them and I go running back to Sim. It’s like I put in so much effort to get to a point where I can say I’m pretty decent with Sim…I don’t know if I can put in that same effort with anyone else. It IS like a relationship…I don’t want to have to start all over!

I start all over all the time. Went through Makoto, Rufus, Blanka, Viper, Seth, Abel, Balrog, and I’m now going through a Juri phase. I play the characters for 2-3 weeks primarily. I play Sim throughout the whole thing but… I just need to be learning new shit.

Lol, you guys are dead on. I started playing Sim in Vanilla around April, or May… and haven’t looked back since having him as my primary character… but it’s just SO damn fun to use multiple characters. The other characters I most often use are Rose, Cammy, Rog, Honda, Dee Jay, Cody, and occasionally Ryu (though I almost feel hypocritical when I play with him being how much I despise running into Shotos online OR offline). Dhalsim has a pretty solid number of tough, or straight up bad, matchups… and although I rarely suggest counterpicking, and learn towards suggesting to learn all of Sim’s bad matchups as thoroughly as possible — I will occasionally counterpick.

But at the end of the day, Sim will always be my #1. sniffle

I’ve found myself to be VERY content using T. Hawk as my main, but that won’t cut it a lot of the time, especially against characters who are at least decent at zoning. That’s why I need Dhalsim. I’m pretty damn rusty with him, but maybe I’ll be able to stick it out this time. And if I’m lucky, some of my good Dhalsim habits will rub off on my T. Hawk (patience, competent blocking, etc).

Every time I try to venture out and play new characters, I realize I’m sub par with them and come back to 'Sim. I’d say my best 2ndary is Ryu, though it’s not a very exciting one. My habits playing 'Sim leak into Ryu, so I play very defensively and lame haha

You guys ready for the dev blog to reveal changes on 'Sim? I know there was a list leaked a couple weeks back, but it didn’t really say much.

What can we expect? And what do we want? I figure we’ll take a hit on building meter with YF. Is it too much to ask for more dmg on his weaker normals? Are ST style drills a pipe dream at this point? Would it make 'Sim too strong?

I hate to say it, but I’m expecting nerfs. Personally i think he’s perfect the way he is. he has some good match up’s and alot of even match up’s, but he definitely has a few bad match ups too.

I think were getting nerfs because Sim is a very defensive oriented character and it seems they are trying to make the game more offensive oriented. I would expect a slight drop in meter build off of yoga fires like guile’s. Maybe a slight reduction in damage to some of his normals.

What i personally want is a slight damage buff in his weaker normals and maybe a slightly faster recovery on st.mp. Oh and d.short, lp.flame to be an actual block string, but honestly like i said i would love if he just stayed the same. I guess we will have to wait and see. I’m very uneasy though.

I think Sim will get nerfs and buffs. Prolly damage nerfs and maybe some frame changes on some of his short limb normals to help him deal with rush down.

Well, the dev blog said that his normals are getting buffs and nerfs… most likely his st.fp and st.roundhouse will take damage reductions. Totally agree with wanting his short limbs buffed a little. I also heard (and this is not substantiated as of yet) that a lot of people think his tower is too good (which I don’t get), and that it might get nerfed a little. Not sure how they would nerf it though – increase the start-up frames? Make you come down quicker by default? I can certainly see that happening. I absolutely adore tower. But if all Sim gets is just minor nerfs/buffs to his normals, and decreased meter gain off yogas, I’m pretty certain he’s gonna stay right about where he is. Buffing his drills would make me suuuuuuper happy. Could you imagine if we were getting as nerfed as Guile? Yikes. The dev blog will definitely be interesting…

I just started using sim last night for fun and realized his normals and playstyle is 99% the same as his hdr version except that obviously in 4 he’s much slower.

Fb not going full screen bothers me and rh drill being too close to use liberally bothers me but otherwise he’s a beast and so much fun to play. j hp does so much damage and has great range but can someone give me general tips on how to play offensively and what to do instead of matchup specific stuff?

Nope, hasn’t been a week yet… DYING to know the official changes!

@Wetwilly_600 I’m preparing for the worst, too, expecting nerfs. Although it is possible, playing rush down sim is kinda odd for me.

Praying for a true block string. That would be glorious. Would be nice if you could link into b+MK from cr.LP or cr.LK, and if B+MK xx HP YF connected. Okay, i’m just dreaming now. haha

how do u anti air dudley when he does j.hk? it almost always win vs sim :frowning:

didnt see a Vs dudley thread so…

I’m also dying to know what will be Sim’s changes.
Of course I’m expecting more nerfs than buffs :confused:

Here’s my predictions:

NERF DAMAGE ?

b.hk 110->100
b.hp (I hope only the second hit) 70-50 -> 70-30
st.hk 90->80
jb.hp 100->90
b.mk 70->60 (I hope not!)
db.hp 100->90 (+7 on hit will be reduced)
st.hp 85->80 less meter builted
fire does less EX meter

BUFFS ?

db.hk will be nerfed hitbox and startup (actually it’s 12)
db.lk startup (it’s 5, too much!) --> actually only done with crouch tech lol
d.lp startup reduced (it’s 12!!)
slide lk full cancellable
slide mk cancellable __ <–edit: the best antiair in the world haha
forward dash…it’s so slow that you’re can be hit after a focus lol-> startup can be buffed.
ALL BLAST startup (except ex and maybe lk)!!!
this is my dream: flame EX with 5 invincible frames

Of course we all need a blockstring (b.mk xx flame lp for example…right now b.hp xx flame is a blockstring but with 7 frames startup and no range!).
I hope it will start from a light punch/kick with at the most 4 startup and NOT 1-frame link (like the combo db.lp->b.lk).
db.mp x2? Hope they will fix the startup (actually 6) and the hitbox (db.mp has a tiny one).

They can nerf drills (except for the hk version) I don’t care about them so much lol.
They could add an EX drill safer thought, but they should change the motion :stuck_out_tongue: