Desperate help needed from great skrull players

Alright, ive made multiple threads about this but i should of went straight to the skrull players. I have incredible difficulty with my skrull against nova. I feel hes unbelievably overpowered and broken. Theres no recovery time on any or his moves weather u block, advance guard or he wiffs them. He has like 3 overheads, awesome air dash, crouching M which covers about half screen, human rocket punch covers full screen and causes crumble, air combo finish which brings him down next to u from anywhere, an air grab that seems to have priority over other air grabs, big big damage combos, and still average health at 900. U put them together with a sent drone assist its almost impossible to stop him. Especially with skrull who is my point character. How do u guys deal with all this shit with skrull? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

What assists do you use?

i use skrull with tenderizer, frank with carrage, and sent drones. i no your gona say use drones and rush him down. but if i bring in sent with drones and meteor smash over to him, hes the only character that it doesnt work on because hes so fast that he can fly over to 1 side of the screen and hit sent, and still get to the other side to combo skrull before skrull recovers. its fucking rediculous. from the start im constantly just trying not to get hit and he just comes in with no way to stop him. sometimes i can push him away with frank carrage, but most times i mistime it and frank also gets caught in the combo to. or he runs into the drones and then gets comboed. its like what the fuck. he cant be stopped. ive been practicing to combo into x factor for a 1 touch kill on nova which is pretty good but then u lose your x factor.

Skrull against Nova is a hard match up for Skrull. You have to pick and choose when to attack, and a lot of the time Nova is going to have better normals than you. If Nova air dashes at you without drones, then use orbital grudge and fatal buster to try and slow him down. Another thing you can try is to jump and use the option select down forward heavy. If he is close, you will throw him, and if not, then you get Skrull’s BPB. Generally speaking, doing random meteor smash is a bad idea against any character because most can punish you if they expect it.Your best options are going to be a mix of OS, orbital grudge and command throws backed by drones. Just remember that Nova is probably going to try to use an over head, so just hold back. If you see him slide with a low then hold down back.

As Brayan asks, a great deal depends upon your assists. To play point Skrull you need one extension assist, that allows you to reset your groundbounce (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRHdwgHEXAM) and combo throws if you can’t plink dash, and another assist to lock down the opponent, so Skrull can get into his mid- to close-range sweet spot. Unless your opponent is running a Nemo style team or going for TAC infinites, Nova should need two combos to kill your point Skrull, while you, with your groundbounce reset, will only need one. Without getting into all the character specific setups/counters, this fact alone will give you a sizeable advantage against your opponent.

mike that was great. frank carrage would be my lock down assist. i saw the combo extention assist video. it showed sent drones as a groung bounce combo extention. i just have to get used to the normal air combo which in all of his combos were m m h s. that was a little difficult for me. it always was. is why i could never hit the ground fast enough to do skrulls air combo into stone snipe combo. im only able to do m h s into meteor smash into something else which doesnt do as much damage. unless i x factor after the meteor smash and continue the combo. guarantee kill nova but lose x factor. the combo extention assist looks like it uses the same air combo that ive always had a problem with, being that u cant bring in sent for the assist untill skrull hits the ground and then do meteor smash, you would need to do the long air combo with the weird timing. i guess its time i finally sat in training for a couple of hours and learned it with the sent assist so i could kill nova in 1 combo without x factor. thanks again

and warchicken your right about pretty much everything you wrote. he always come in for the overhead when flying in. i just have to wait. the fucked up part is i no the orbital grudge is super armored so i was doing it every time he came in for everything…and he still broke right through the orbital grudge right into combo. i was like what the fuck. not once or twice but multiple times. ive cut through the hulks super armor shit, nemisis super armor shit, but not nova. no, he can beat out my super armor grudge every time

Yeah orbital grudge is good but unfortunately it is not a cure all solution to the nova match-up. Another thing I forgot to say is to practice plink dashing, and when you see him box dash heavy you can plink dash backward and then command throw him when he lands. Movement is huge for skrull it lets you get in for a mix-up and then back away when you try something unsafe, which almost every move skrull has is unsafe.

Sorry for sounding like a noob, but what exactly is plink dashing? Is it like wave dashing or something?

Plink dashing is when you cancel a normal move into a dash and then cancel that dash into a normal move and so on. Sorry if that sounds weird thats really the only way I know how to explain it. Here is a video of James Chen teaching plink dashing.http://youtu.be/PPbGupXl5RQ ( for the plink dashing skip to the 1 hour and 11 minute mark in the video.) Hope this helps if you have any more questions just let me know.

thanks war. i saw the tutorial. it did help, i just need to set aside some time and practice it. i think i have the idea. it was helpfull. by the way, who is your main team with assists?

Right now I am playing Apologyman’s team of Firebrand Doom with plasma beam and Skrull tenderizer but I am trying to drop Doom for Modok.

Happy to help.

that will be a little rough since doom misstles cover skrull and modok has no assist to cover skrull

I play skrull anchor and I don’t play missiles. I think most players are figuring out ways to punish missiles unless you have morrigan putting fireballs on the screen to protect him. My guess is that fewer people will doom missiles and switch to plasma beam or jam session.

I don’t play Modok, but it seems like he would get the same pickup that Doom does after a Firebrand kidnap. Also, he’d have the TAC infinite…interesting. I’d be worried about potential damage reduction though, as Modok’s hyper doesn’t do much, and you wouldn’t have the hyper hyper setup with Doom back into Firebrand, which is quite powerful.

Oh, and Slip, Modok’s balloon bomb is an amazing cover for Skrull. Check out Scrubeks/Rubeks play. In my opinion, he’s the best Skrull out there right now.

yea i just saw him for the first time at evo. he is really good. i think nick cam is the best skrull ive seen though.

Yeah, Scrubeks, at this evo, wasn’t that impressive against Angelic, but was against Kane Blue River. Interesting, as it really shows off Skrull’s match ups: good against big bodies, not so good against rushdown. Nick Cam is solid as well, although I’ve seen him have the same problem against Wolverine (specifically Justin Wong). At the end of the day though, I think we’ll see Apology Man come out on top, as the Firebrand team is simply better constructed than any point Skrull team can be.

yea. i really just dont like firebrand. but apology man really inspired me to play frank. since skrull always was my main, and frank is so awesome leveled up. and frank/skrull mixups are lethal.