Dan's ethnicity

Hong Kongian or Japanese living in Hong Kong?

He was born in China, Hong Kong. He currently lives in a Dojo he created in Japan after the first Dojo back in Hong Kong his father Go Hibiki created was destroyed by Sagat. Sagat was a member of Shadalow back then.

However, we don’t know who Dan’s mother is. She can be Japanese for what all we know, but it’s officially confirmed that Dan is Chinese.

Hong Kong people seperate themselves from mainline China if it makes a difference but yeah hong kongian

Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region(SAR) of China. Under the belief of “One Country, Two Systems”, they act with a separate political system and have a psedo-border between Hong Kong and China. They have their own athletes that represent them in the Olympics, a slightly different education system and even their own police force.

However, they are not like, for example, Christiania in Denmark. Christiania is legally a whole separate country due to the agreement back in 2011. The people of Hong Kong are proud to be Chinese, but they separate them self from China because of disagreements of China’s general poltical view. The word “Hong Kongian” have been used to further emphasize that. Several riots against mainland China’s interference with their politics, some riots where very ugly and violent, and a lot of discussions have happened due to some very unfortunate incidents.

However, Hong Kong still consider them self to be a part of China. They are proud to be Chinese, but this is their way to say that they disagree with China’s general politics and they are not afraid to completely cut them self of from China to become a new country. One of their goals is actually to influence the Chinese government to be more fair with their politics.

So, yeah. Residents of Hong Kong are Chinese. However, if someone from Hong Kong does get offended or prefer that I didn’t call them Chinese, I will of course obey their wishes.

Go Hibiki is Japanese, Dan might have been born in Hong Kong ( I’m not sure) but he is ethnically and culturally a Japanese man.

@Texas

People from HK will say they are Chinese, but are quick to identify that they not mainlanders.