cyberbots

Aw man I love that game. I have a beautiful copy of it for me Saturn. One day I’m gonna start $1 tournaments for this shit. Winner take all with $50 bonus!

All I need is some Arcade sticks for the Saturn and I can start somethin’.

Wouldn’t go get more entrants with a MAME tournament? I mean, so they can use their sticks of choice. It’s not as cool though, but still.

Good point. But I don’t have the program and I don’t feel like huntin’ for the ROM ‘n’ stuff. If I could get my hands on those Astro City sticks for the Saturn that would be awesome. Hopefully someone would be kind to rent them. Even if I don’t have the stick I have pads.

Overall this is just an idea I thought of since I have the copy and system, plus its just a dollar tournament.

couldn’t have said it better myself. :wgrin:

I’m still dyin’ to play zero akuma, need to hunt down a saturn soon…

You know what, I never took the time to really unlock him:sweat:. I should be on that soon. Probably right after NEC

I played a ton with Lolerskates on 2df today, and some before that…

I main Riot, learned a few things. Noob stuff, but still.
s.HP(or A2 if you will) is a really good anti-air against some robots, and really crappy anti-air against others. It’s good against the ones with large bottom parts, like, it really saved me when playing against Lolers Vise for example.

Since no “mash” symbols appear during his throw, does that mean Riot can always get a free otg throw after a normal throw? It seemed that way.

As for combos… j.LP xx HP Drill, LP electric ground while they’re down(might be avoidable?) is what I’m sticking too, didn’t get the cancel much today though… Might have been lag, but probably me being sucky.
There’s c.LP xx HP “Rocket Punch” too, but the c.LP is so crappy and hard to hit with.
I havn’t really explored CB combos much.

Super is great for chip, but not good for much else. Very hard to hit with, easy to get shot out of, and startup seems to long to make it comboable.

Edit: And as usual, flying around (j.HP for gdlk downward range, j.LP for crossup/combo) / drilling to keepaway works pretty good for him.
Also, j.W and follow with a Drill to get out of the air. Not sure if that’s good, but it’s fun.

I love this game and Riot, seriously.

Late edit:
Edit2: scew it, I think this whole combo might be avoidable by mash-recover or something. nevermind.

Sheesh you play more than me. Yin, I wanna get some games in on 2df, if you want. I don’t have the program so I’m gonna download it and whatnot. If you’re free just hit me up and I’ll be down for some cyberbots!

Yeah, these 2df sessions versus Yin were pretty damn fun. Sure that the game has stuff we don’t know yet (we as in Yin and I) but the gameplay mechanics seem pretty solid to me.

So I’m kinda curious to ask the (very few) who play or played the game - how do Blodia and Tarantula fair in your opinions?

I’ve messed around some more, learned some actual combos that are not avoidable by recovery :tup:

But first of all… Is the SRK wiki on this game really correct?

Riots movelist is incomplete/spotty. It doesn’t list that he can do a third typ of Drill with both attack buttons that propels him upward after emerging. And it doesn’t seem to list his Death Grip/Flame Grip at all… Or possibly it has it mixed up with his crappy(worse than normal throw) command grab. A GFaqs faq proved much more accurate.

And this part, is this really correct? I can’t get this to work however I try:

Anyway, Riot combos from lots of messing around!
The funny thing was his LP can’t combo for shit, but his HP and even his W(although it’s not very good) can :rofl:

s.HP(close) xx HP Dyna Blow (~33% damage, sometimes 25% if one hit fails to connect) [=BnB imo]

s.HP(close) xx HP Death Grip (~25% damage)

c.HP xx HP Dyna Blow (~25% damage)

j.LP xx Any Drill
(~5-10%… only HP and LP+HP can hit the latter half, but since that’s avoidable there might still

be a use for LP)

late j.HP, dash LP xx HP Dyna Blow (~40% damage, cancel after two dahs LP hits)

late j.HP xx HP Death Grip (~25% damage)

late j.HP xx HP Dyna Blow (~33% damage) [can sneak in a c.LP, but not worth it]

late j.HP, HP xx HP Death Grip (~33% damage)

late j.HP, HP xx HP Dyna Blow (~40% damage, unreliable so not worth it)

s.W xx HP Dyna Blow (one shot of W only, see below) (~15-20% damage)

Points of interest
[LIST]
[]Late j.HP has a kinda tricky timing, might be very hard to use in battle. If you do it too late it doesn’t come out, but if you do it to early it doesn’t combo. So it has to be just right. I think around when he just starts going down in a normal jump is the right time, but not sure. Around there.
[
]j.LP is a very easy crossup
[]j.HP is a highly comboable crossup, because it will usually be a “late j.HP” anyway
[
]You can cancel s.W into any special during a short window before the second shot is fired
[]backward dash LP cannot be cancelled, unlike normal dash LP
[
]dash HP cannot be cancelled at all
[*]Cannot combo into Super, but can set up situations to force chip damage
[/LIST]

All I can remember from playing this game was how disgusting it was going against Raptor…

Did you try it with quicker mechs like the Blodia or Fordy? I remember something to that effect happened when playing as Blodia in one of our matches.

Should be testing this more a bit later today too. :lol:

I just tested with Riot since it said it was the same for all VAs… But you’re right, it may only apply to the quick ones.

As for Blodia and Tarantula, I think they were both featured in the Mikado tournament posted on the first page:
[media=youtube]opNTLMIlG3c"[/media]
Might snap something up from that?

Sweet, missed this one from earlier. Thanks for the heads up. :tup:

o neat! some people playing this!

im on 2df as roadapple, id be more than willing to take a beating and talk / learn about this game =D

edit: yay, found like a 85% combo with swordsman, to bad its not so easy to actually land it on someone.

It feels like there is no such thing as lows that combos into a special or something, is this true?

edit again: answered my own question, crouching light attack can link into standing light attack

Hey, one of the JP VSav players made a GGPO savestate for Cyberbots the other day.

Its default for the Vsav room, i’m in there quite often so if you guys ever want to play pop in on GGPO and get some matches. I’ll try to catch some of you guys on 2df too

Edit:
On the topic of when stuff is or isn’t tech rollable. If you get the knockdown off a Counter-Hit they cannot tech roll it. So pay attention for the guaranteed OTGs off counter hits. Riot can do some silly stuff like HCB+A2 (2 hits->knockdown) HCB+A1 (OTG hit).
His Tridash D+A2 is also a good followup pounce after a lot of knockdowns and you can do reset Oki after it usually. Also, You had mentioned Riot’s super, Yeah, its atrocious. I pretty much only use his Burst super.

Blodia is definitely one of the top bots in the game.

Lots of big damage combos, great throw setups, and probably the easiest tridash in the game.
Mess around with doing Laser stalls too. If you Slide from Boost~Weapon you start the dash, then your momentum halts for a second to shoot the laser, then you immediately continue flying at full boost momentum. So you can do some crazy stalled boost mixups using this.

Big Bread & Butter: Tridash A1, A1, A1, A2 xx QCB+A2, D-U+A2 14 hits and nearly 70%
Super Combos the same way: A1, A1, A2, XX Super
Dash A1 xx DP is a useful tool at times.

Tarantula is a pretty cool Bot, I think overall I like Vise better as far as the Grapplers go.

QCB+A1 is a useful tool for safely resetting pressure strings and trying to space in for throws. QCB+A2 can be used occasionally but the situations where it is safe are a lot more limited.
Landing command throws is a big Key in Tarantula, so you better learn the spacing where the throw will grab instead of just doing a hit. Takes a lot of practice.
Super can be used as a sort of low crush, Watch for a dash attack or crouching normal. Overall can catch people off guard pretty often with it.
[D]-U+Ax - his pounce move. can be really annoying with it, theres times you can just keep bouncing off their head and doign ti over and over even if they block. If connected, do it again, you can OTG with it. Also to be used as an OTG ender if you know you forced a non-techable knockdown.

Theres definitely a lot more, but its easier for me to explain while im playing.

Thanks for the tips/info, Kajoq. :tup: Time to go for that practice further.

If you ever see a guy named “tama” on 2df, feel free to hit me up for a few games.

[media=youtube]NlSzLyM2puQ"[/media]

Now the real question is, is it actually practical in a match?

I don’t think so, The opponent would have to be very passive to no action at all (how practical is that in this game?), the player would need powered a full gauge. The opponent would need to be near corner and be hit by the Tarantula sub weapon which can be easily be nullify with normals, subweapons, and commands alike. Their are many options to prevent it and strict option to execute it.

Practicality of it is below 30%