Creating and Selling a Fighting Game

Just curious if anybody here has any plans in the future of Creating a Fighting Game with a group/developer and selling it to people. Basically what I mean is do you plan on becoming a developer and distributing fighting games?

Making fighting games is fun but getting people to shell out for one is tough.

Very tough sale

Lets power up niggaz & do this! :annoy: :rock: :china:

How far in the future are you talking about? I would love to make a fighting game, even if I have to make it a flash game. (Once I get some programming skills, that is)

Iā€™ve always heard the biggest challenge in developing a fighting game is getting enough artists (assuming its a sprite based game).

That sounds about right. Unless youā€™ve got yourself an archive of pictures, or youā€™re some kind of drawing mastermind, artwork is usually a big pain.

Yeah if youā€™re doing sprite based graphics, artwork is the big bottleneck.
Paperdolls is faster and easier once the tech is in place.

Iā€™m creating one, not with a developer though, and not with any plans to sell it. Itā€™s a 2D fighter and I doubt there is really that much of a market for it.

Generating the artwork can be a pain in the ass. Iā€™m using placeholder characters from other games right now just to get the engine working well even though I donā€™t really have any character graphics to use in it.

Iā€™ve been building mine in XNA. Itā€™s surprisingly easy to use (and hopefully the code may one day be portable to Mono.XNA without much work).

1 Like

Iā€™m assuming youā€™re creating the game engine yourself, right? 'Cause using somebody elseā€™s engine without their permission can/may lead to some possible legal troubles, especially if your intent is to make some money off of it. If the engine is all yours, then thereā€™s no problem selling it at all. (But there are some game engines out there that you can license & thus be able to legally sell games based on those engines.)

You could use sprites from existing video games (assuming your game is 2-D) to test your game out with (in the meantime). This way, you donā€™t have to wait for art from sprite editors/makers to test out your game. Once youā€™re ready to start distributing your game, as a demo or as a retail version, just swap out the copyrighted material with your original material. After all, game devs (the coders) arenā€™t always gonna be the best artists, and theyā€™re probably gonna be too concerned with fine-tuning the engine itself rather than making sure each sprite looks spectacular, so knowing some people good at art and such things will definitely help you out. If you arenā€™t working with any sprite editors right now, just make up some crappy temporary sprites to work with at the moment, then, later on when you do find a good artist to make your sprites, replace your temp. sprites with his/hers and youā€™re good to go. :tup:

I plan to make my own fighting game myself but alas Iā€™m alone with that project. Nor do I have the necessary skills and programs for game development. Itā€™s a 2D fighter but Iā€™m the only one working on it so I have no VAs or artists and Iā€™m going to use OSTs from other games like DMC3. I might setup a mugen for practice though. Anybody else finding it to be a pain in the ass making up the moveslists for ALL the characters? I only did about 13-15 and Iā€™m tired as hell.

j1n and i are talking about trying one.

Iā€™ve started working on one. With any luck, some day far in the future you guys can bitch about how broken it is on here :wgrin:

Iā€™m going to the Arts Institute of Georgia after I get out of high school, and I plan on majoring in game design. If I can ever obtain the resources to make a fighting game then Iā€™ll definitely go for it. Who knows, I might just design some fighting games as college projects.

do not major in game design, you get stuck in one industry (game design), major in computer science. The game industry is too ā€œclosed-inā€ and expensive atm to just major in game design and get a job instantly.

quick fact: less than 1% of anyone in the industry atm majored in game design

^Oh! Now you tell me!

[calls ITT to change class]

I go to ITT Tech and Iā€™m really excited with what weā€™re developing right now. The one Iā€™m most excited about is untitled fighter, with cats. Weā€™re thinking about calling it ā€˜Cat Fighterā€™. In talks with THQ.

Well it isnā€™t like I canā€™t have two majorā€™s.

If j1n is involved, that probally means lots of alcohol. Is j1n going to be in this game, with his drunken trash talk of fury?

Also, there are already several threads dedicated to this topic. Atleast a few people on SRK are working on skullgirls, but other than that I havenā€™t seen any projects that are actually being developed.

Iā€™ve been working a bit on the side with a 2d fighter project. Until the engine is in place, you wont attract any artists.

Use Pivot Stickfigure as a placeholder for the sprites, and then have the artists use that as a reference model later. Seems like the best idea.

There was a project that started on here where people were making a fighter, but it fell apart fast. Project Shobu I believe it was called.