Combo timing for different games

Playing MK11 and SFIV I notice very different timing needs for combos. SF seems to be based of the action on the screen. MK11 seems to be almost purely input based.
I was wonder A: if this is correct and the terms. B: What opinions are on what the pros and cons of both styles are?

Just turn Negative Edge off. It makes things a lot easier on MK.

Naturally, some games have slightly different timings in their inputs, or different buffer windows, yes.

1 Like

I appreciate your information. Do you have a preference on which style you prefer? I am still figuring out which I prefer. I feel SF style puts for focus on reaction and less on muscle memory.

The input buffer timing window in MK definitely takes some time to get used to. I’ve played Street Fighter all my life, so those games have always felt a little more natural to me. MK had a long period where their games didn’t play like traditional 2D fighters, whereas SF inputs for the most part remained the same up until 4 and 5.

5 has literal input shortcuts that are SUPPOSED to make inputs like SRK easier, but they actually make it frustrating for players like me who are used to the stricter input windows of the old games. You end up getting fireball when you wanted an SRK, and an SRK when you want a fireball. It’s one of my biggest complaints about that game, and has been for years.

Those two games are not exactly the best examples of fighting game inputs that feel satisfying to actually execute. If I had to pick two examples, one being stricter inputs and one being more lax, but both being good, I’d probably go with Third Strike and DBFZ respectively.

Playing Third Strike will make your execution in any other Street Fighter better. Hell, it’ll improve your execution period. It is still one of my favorite fighting games ever and still holds up as a perfect example of correctly tying the input to the animation, therefore making it satisfying to execute.

1 Like

Great insight. I have always had trouble with third strike. Of course lately I have been playing it on the Switch. Which I feel has the most horrible controller. I need a pro controller and put time into 3rd strike to really up my game.

1 Like

You’re playing fighting games on that default Joycon pad? Yikes. That’s rough, haha. I can’t do it. I had to buy an adapter for my Switch not too long ago so I can use my PS4 pad and stick. Your controller certainly makes a world of difference.

But yeah man, just keep at it. You start to recognize the differences in timings yourself the more you play. I’d be happy to play you on Switch if you ever have the time.

1 Like

I have a home built two person arcade fight stick I use on my PC for SFIV makes it very enjoyable to play. Those joycons are rough for fighting games. DBFZ is so much less enjoyable using them.
I was unaware the was an adapter I could use to a PS4 controller.

1 Like

Damn that stick is cool as fuck. I’ve always wanted a wooden one, lmfao. Just for the novelty.

Yeah, look up the Mayflash Magic NS. It let’s you plug any controller into your Switch, and also allows wireless controllers like the Dualshock or Xbox One pad with practically no lag. Thing only costs $20 too.

1 Like

negative edge started back in 1991 on accident in SF2 The World Warrior!!!

1 Like