Combo can't be used in a combo? (Ryu/Akuma)

Hitstop = Hitstun?

If you guys have combo questions and don’t want to deal with random SRK people being jerks, try asking in this thread or or this thread. In general, it’s safer to stick to a thread with an established helpful atmosphere than taking a shot at starting a new one.

Not sure what do you mean here, bud. I will explain what I know, in the hope it will help people interested on the issue.

The time at which you cancel a normal move into a special only matters if you are kara-canceling. If you are canceling normal moves that did touch the enemy (regardless of dealing damage or getting blocked) into special attacks, the special move will start after a fixed number of frames, namely, the number of active hit frames of that cancelable part of the move. I’ll give three examples:[list][]Ryu’s cr.short: the frame data for this move is as follows:
4 start up, 4 active, 5 recovery.
This move only has one active part that can be canceled into special attacks, and that is any part of the attack that can damage the enemy, which lasts for 4 frames. If an enemy is hit and the input for a special attack is registered, a special attack will come instead of the first of those 5 recovery frames. Else, (and if another cr.short is not registered, but that is only because this particular move can cancel into itself) the recovery occurs as expected.[
]O.Sagat’s infamous st.short (Classic mode only): the frame data for this move is:
4 start up, 2 active, 2 active, 7 recovery.
This move has two active parts that can be canceled: a first part, which displays Sagat attacking the enemy with his knee, and a second part, which displays Sagat attacking the enemy with his whole leg. Both parts can be canceled. If the enemy is hit during the first 2 active frames and a special attack input is registed, a special attack will come instead of the first of those 2 remaining active frames. If the enemy is hit during the second part, which also lasts for 2 frames, and a special attack input is registered, the related special attack will be performed, starting when the first recovery frame would occur otherwise.[*]Ryu and Ken’s close st.fierce: The frame data is:
4 start up, 2 active, 6 active, 23 recovery
This move also has two active parts, but only the first of them can be canceled. This means a special attack can be performed instead of the first of the 6 active frames that come after the first 2 active ones. Would a special attack input be registered during those 6 frames, being the enemy hit during that part of the attack, still the input would be ignored.[/list]

You’re way off.

Sorry, didn’t have time to go into detail earlier but also didn’t want confusion to spread.

Ryu’s c.LK is only 4ST/4AC/5RE if it whiffs. When it connects, it turns into 4 frames startup, 1 active frame, 14 frames of hit impact freeze, and 8 frames of recovery. If you cancel into a something during those 14 hit impact freeze frames, then the 8 frames of recovery get replaced by whatever move you canceled into.

Apart from a couple of very rare exceptions, nobody can alter or reduce that 14 frame impact freeze. That’s how an incredibly lenient command sequence like c.LK xx Hurricane Kick can actually be a one-frame combo every time.

Also if an attack connects meaty, it may well lose its cancelability. I’m not too sure about the details/specifics though.

Coolness.

So a perfect-frame combo/link will not work as the 3rd or greater hit in a combo.

Thanks for the input guys, except for the one troll.

Does this also apply to blockstun?

I thought so because with Chun I can get cl.lp, cl.hp to combo (seems just frame’ish) but cl.lp, cl.lp, cl.hp does not combo so I was thinking that subsequent hits has 1-2 frames shorter window that can combo.

Yeah, I was really confused with that. It’s a legit puzzle, “who cares” is a ridiculous answer when we’re talking about the game system.

Don’t worry about that guy, he has sand in his vag; he negged me for some really, really stupid stuff (Lonewolf).

So we figured out that the 3rd hit of a combo can’t be used to buffer special inputs, which is why you can’t cancel a 2nd attack into hurricane kick, but why can’t it be?

No, I don’t believe it’s that - its that the first hit of a combo always gives one more frame of hitstun than all followup hits. Moves like c.lk XX hurricane kick have no margain of error for timing - you have to input the hurricane kick AS the low kick is in impact freeze. Fortunately this is 10 frames long so there is a decent window.

If it is not the first attack of the combo though, then it will give one less frame of hitstun - and even WITH perfect timing, the hurricane kick will not connect

Interesting stuff.

Is this the same for blockstun?

I know it’s only one frame… but throws are instant. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay Okay, its simple they just removed ryu’s first knee into the hurricane kick if you pick ken and when he does the kick you see the knee into the hurricance ryu use to have this in sthf but it was removed in st so you cant combo into it any longer, but it was giving back to him is 3s

It’s because cancellability is actually based on how many frames into the animation you are. When playing around with ArtMoney, I found that there’s a specific value for cancellability that is set when an attack animation begins, and counts down by one for each subsequent frame. Once it reaches zero, you can’t cancel. The number it’s set to varies depending on attack. So basically, it works like “Attack A can only be cancelled within the first 10 frames”, etc.

No, two separate things. Hitstop is the very brief time at the very instant of impact where both characters are frozen in place, and the character being hit “jitters” back and forth slightly. It’s during this time that the hitspark indicating contact appears. Hitstun is the state the character being hit goes into following this, in which they are unable to control their character for a short amount of time and are pushed backward.