Chun-Li Teams and Strategies

Chun\Rogue\Tron is only a good team for you if you can meet a few prerequisites first your Rogue must be able to stand alone because any good player is going to go after your Tron first and if you cant play Rogue without Tron your dead and second you must be able to play without anti-airs because against top-tier their AA’s wont cut it.
Things to remember: Rogue’s throw assist can help Chun wreck shop and Chun’s dp+kk can link into Rogue’s goodnight sugar (its just a late cancel)

Are you serious? [please respond…]

Good Shit!!! Congratulations!!! How did hit happen in detail???

That’s gotta suck for your opponent.

Chun-Li’s beginning to get almost as brutal as Magneto. Worse actually since you don’t know it’s coming.

I think they got a safe dhc in with chun on point first. c.lk+tron, srk+kk, dhc qcf+pp or w\e rogues super is. The tron rings should leave her safe on block but not 100% positive.

say tron dies off which could happen. You need a proper assist from rogue to help chun out even if its just a little bit. I might pick her punches that go into the air to setup shit.

That sounds pretty interesting, that safe DHC. I’ll have to give that a try.

I like how Rogue’s c. strong is a dashup move. it makes Rogue work so well with Tron.

Just cause I have some things for this thread…even if it is kinda dead.

Chun/Sent/Psy

Starting chun, throw into drones on wall, midscreen reverse throw into drones, covers all her throw options anywhere on any character. Midscreen throw into psy also works, but is rollable.

Gives her j.lp + psy guard breaks. Good stuff. On the wall, land and DP+KxxKikoshou.
Midscreen, land and do a s.lpxxs.RH into the shom.

99% safe DHC, (DP+KKxxHSF) on hit (QCF+KKxxHSF) is 100%

Both point and assist benifit from drones very much. Both battery and user benifit from assist very much.

Storm/Sent/Chun

No need to even speak on it. Prolly the best chun team right now.

Chun/Sent/Capcom

Still have the psy/tron like IOH setups into Shom midscreen. Great team for fighting storm/sent due to the fact its 60% easier to keep them grounded with the capcom assist. Sent cap is uhh…good.

Chun/Marrow/Tron

Good ghetto team. Nice DHC’s, lots of space control with marrow + tron, and great mixups/pressure if you learn Chuns solo 10 hit blockstrings. Those can get pretty crazy with bonerang and tron rings as relayer tools. S.lp + tron, HCB+ P with marrow is almost as ghetto as s.lp + tron ninja flip with chun.

Mess around with Chun/Speed up Wolvie/Doom Paul!!! I know im going to! That shit is gonna be really annoying with the ability to build free bar safely then dump it.

Just throwing out something to test - is it possible to guard break someone after they tech her standing corner throw?(Not sure how high above the ground they’d be after teching)
The possibility came to mind after seeing DJ B13’s Ruby vid.

Lol, ive already discussed this alot in the chun li mixups thread. Yeah you can solo guard break with sj.lk AD lk link (pause) RH (1 hit) shom. Or you can j.lp + psy (land) shom

Wall throw resets are beast!

Chun Teams

1. Chun/Sent/Cyc & 2. Chun/Sent/Tron.

*With this team you have a choice of two AA’s
(both high priority).

I also like the fact that you can stomp+cyc for an instant overhead
into infinite, especially if it hits at the start of the round.

Which usually means it’s time to go craazzzyyyy.:looney:

*Team 2 damage wise is great for chun’s rush down and sent
still has a quality AA with her as a assist.

(unlike my Rogue/Sent/Tronn Experiment)
(Sorry I don’t like using storm much:wonder:)

What so you guys think?

Chun/sent/cyke is prolly the best chun team there is.

The amount of execution that goes into the infinite setups is insane however.
Yes, you can do it in training mode all day, but when it comes to getting a counter hit with cyke, then going into the infinite, you are gonna find yourself getting frustrated midmatch. Its a trade off really. You give yourself a better assist for chuns weak matchups (storm, sent, cable) but you really lose alot of one hit kill potential.
If you play really patiently however, i think this tradeoff would be worth it in theory, if you had the best execution possible with chun.

I however strongly prefer the chun/sent/psy side of the trade off. This is because 90% of counter hits with psy lead to big damage with good execution. This really limits your opponents options, especially when they are trying to rush you down, and really gives alot of breathing room. The only trouble is playing against a fly away sent, or a really good storm + strong assist. Cable can also be a problem because you have to train your execution against him completely separately with
chun, much like blackheart has to. Its much easier to get in on cable than storm or sent, but what you are gonna do when you get there is the main concern. Also noteworthy is the fact that simply having the psy assist gives you another guard break option, and an easy one, that can be used in almost any situation your opponent dies in.

Chun/Sent/Tron is beastly. You can use drones and tron both as pseudo anti-air.
Tron is undoubtedly the best assist for exploiting the j.down+RH (stomp) unblockable. I have personally had matches completely turn around in seconds from catching one knockdown into looping the unblockable + tron assist back into knockdown. I think the main problem here is again chuns bad matchups. Tron isnt gonna really help you against a fly away sent, a good keep away storm + assist, or a good cable + assist. Also, although tron is good on point with drones and chun anti-air assist, I believe psy and cyke are both leaps and bounds ahead of her on matchups you are likely to be forced into with your assist character.

I play Chun/Sent/Psy because i feel comfortable exploiting that aspect of chun. You should play whichever one you feel the most comfortable with. Although all three teams have there strong points, I do feel that psy and tron have more shortcomings, albeit more damage potential. Take care.

Thanks for your input, I liked watching your vids on youtube as well, keep it up.

A lot of the time I see you and shin go for the infinite, but at times you whiff.

Your right about the execution though, it’s not exactly fine, dandy, and summer
time candy. When I used to try the shom it was not easy at all to learn, and
execution for it can become frustrating at times as well. So your definitely right
about that, I think cyc is better than tronn in that respect.

(I don’t have my dreamcast anymore, so I can’t test anything.
Im planning on getting a ps3 and tekken 6 in november so
I’ll definitely download it, hopefully I can find something better
than a mas stick before then. I really want to order quality mvc2
stick with clear buttons.)

Anyway…:rolleyes:

Does anyone play with chun/sent/capcom?

And if so your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chun/sent/cap can be nasty. I mess with it sometimes, but it is largely unexplored.

You can still set up the infinite from call cap stomp overhead, although it seems to be more character specific. More importantly is the fact that chun with cap assist has major air control, since you can normal jump 6 times and have the ablility to call cap and stomp the whole time.

I think its a great counter pick for strider since you can let cap trade and get away from the entire super if you play your cards right.

Its also great vs. sent since you can normal jump up to fly height and punish any normal whiff with a capcom call.

Again, the biggest problem would be not having a really scary counter hit. Capcom alone can be pretty scary as a counter hit, but he is easily baited out, and hard for chun to cover especially against her bad matchups.

I would highly recommend this team. Its up there with chun/sent/cyke. Dont forget to try chun/sent/cammy out either. It also has the overhead to infinite setup, and gives alot of things the other teams dont.

All and all, I would say the best chun teams prolly are:

(high tier)
Chun/Sent/Cyke
Chun/Sent/Capcom
Chun/Sent/Cammy
Chun/Sent/Tron
Chun/Sent/Psy
Chun/Sent/Cable
Chun/Storm/Psy
Storm/Sent/Chun

(Mid tier)
Chun/Morrigan/Tron
Chun/Marrow/Tron
Chun/Charlie/Tron
Chun/Speed up wolvie/Tron
Chun/Speed up wolvie/Doom

(Low tier)
Chun/Morrigan/Psy
Chun/Marrow/Psy
Chun/Charlie/Cammy

These are just the ones that i have success with. Chun/Gambit also seems to have alot of potential, and is pretty untapped. Chun is great at building meter, so anyone dumping alot of meter (speed up wolvie, cable) is a great addition. Try any and everything though, there is always something new to discover. If you have any questions about any of the teams i listed lemme know.

chun/sent/cammy

Chun/Sent/Cammy

When you listed that team I thought it was pretty interesting.

I main rogue, and I like to play rogue/sent/cam from time
to time, and it’s decent due to cammy’s AA. So what are
your thoughts on the team I listed above?

Well, I didn’t give it much thought at first. I tried out chun with almost every AAA, trying to find different ways to get overhead into shom. Cammy works pretty well, although like capcoms AAA, it seems more character specific.

Cammys assist is really great on its own though, kinda like capcom, but better/worse in different situations. It helps alot against storm, sent, and cable, the 3 people chun really has trouble dealing with on her own. Its also great with sent, as im sure you already know. It can be a pain to cover her with chun, but at least you get more time to position yourself after you call her/she gets baited out.

You lose alot of the reset potential that comes with psy and tron. In exchange you get alot of the same things you get from capcom: Improved air control, and a great counter calling assist, as well as the ability to get breathing room from rushdown. In addition to this cammy is a MUCH better character on point than any AAA listed on the chun teams list, except maybe psy. Cable is great if you still have chun alive so he has that AAA. But yeah, cammy is a great character to be “stuck with” in a snap situation, aside from the fact that she is vunerable to guard breaks more so than psy.

I thought of the team as pretty similar to the other chun concept teams, until i challenged wong to a chun vs. chun MM at a recent tournament. It was pretty even, with me playing chun/sent/psy and him playing chun/sent/cammy. One thing that made a huge difference in the matchup was the ability to counter call my psylocke with cammy. Also when it came down to the sent vs. sent battle he obviously had a huge advantage in space control with cammy. After playing this matchup against another great chun I had a new found respect for this team, and I would highly reccommend it to anyone trying to pick up chun as a tournament viable character.

Good Stuff

I wouldn’t mind learning how to use chun in tourney like my
main rogue. Thanks for the cammy post.

I was thinking about other combinations before you
posted back. I know these 2 teams might be not as
good as cammy AA.

I also thought about…

Chun/IM/Sent & Chun/Sent/Cable

You could probably use chun to throw them into IM AA, then shom, super, or
reset ect…

I was thinking that thier assist would die if you had three bars, and they
are pinned with there assist due to chuns qcf+KK super. Then from there
proton cannon, dhc HSF. (man that sounds sexy, lol.)

I dont know how well IM AA would cover her, but at least she would
still have drones, and sent would have IM AA to zone, and a high
priority AA with chun.

What are your thoughts?

Iron man is an excellent choice, one that i forgot about in my other post. He does cover her extremely well, and yes, you can midscreen throw into iron mans assist.

The main problem i have with putting him second is it can be hard to get chun out safely against any team that can counter in cable or storm, or a magneto on point.

Another huge issue would be the sheer amount of execution involved with that team. Its just mind boggling to even consider to most people.

Those two things coupled with the fact that you can midscreen throw into other assists (even psylocke :3) and follow up, makes the team more obsolete on my list.

Cable i think is a great choice, giving chun another way to get out safely in the cable counter, as well as giving her a really good outlet to dump meter. Also i mean…he’s just cable, enough said. He works really well with drones and an anti-air, which is exactly what he has with this team. Cable with drones and chun assist is a real problem for sent.

You do lose the ability to overhead into infinite if you go the cable route. Of course, you can always just play like you would with capcom or cammy for the most part, and just abuse chuns strong angles while building meter. Cable gives pretty decent air control, as well as the added bonus of tons of time for pressure when you successfully counter call with him.

One of the best marvel players I have ever played with (50moreCentz on the forums) is insistent that cable is likely one of the best choices for chun/sent. I would prolly agree with it more if i had a really good cable.

In regards to the dhc, the sexiest thing i have ever done with chun is catch 2 people either with a sweep or ground infinite into the 1000 kicks, DHC to sent with plasma ball (usually killing off the point character) and proceed to kill the assist for free. This actually happens pretty often when i play people that aren’t used to rolling chuns c.RH. Its a really hard roll and ill usually go for c.RH to 1000 kicks when im planning on dhc’ing anyway, since its safe going to HSF whether they block or take the hit, rolling or otherwise.

Your right about execution, chun is already enough in that respect.
Her and ironman equals numb hands, and icy hot.

After some consideration, I think I’ll stick too using chun/sent/cyc_cap.
Once I get my Ps3 it’s on. I would like to play online when I get it.

I’m practice the shom until I have it down, cant wait to get my
46" bravia 1080p 240hz and my ps3 in oct/nov (sorry I’m excited:rock:).
Maybe we could get some matches going?

I wouldn’t mine playing you with my rogue:tup:

Chun reminds me of rogue’s game play a lot (same mission).
Learning her will be cool simply using her in rogues place from
time to time (rog or chun/sent/Cyc_Cap). I love using one low-tier
with a couple top tiers. I only like sent and Cable out of the top
4. So it works out pretty well, I want to focus on just those teams
when I get MvC2 again (dream/ps3), instead of practicing 3 different
teams and characters all together (Jack of all trades but master of
none, not so good in my opinion) :sweat:.

I also wanna try some mega man as a fun team, that’s another
bible study though:lol:

I’d love to see some matches where you land the shom infinite,
that would be awesome.

Thanks for your help as well, peace.

Chun Li and Tron are dangerous

[media=youtube]ZPPHwdbdh3k[/media]

Man…

That was a nasty match, that was ridiculous damage, I
feel sorry for magneto:shake:

The only problem I see is if chun dies sent is screwed without
an AA, unless he’s already ahead, like in the match you posted.

None the less, I would either use chun/sent/tronn_cyc.
That was probably the best chun and or match with her
I’ve ever seen, thanks for that.

Sugoi! THAT is how chun tron is played! Very nice with the air throws shin, very nice.

got some more footage of Shin

[media=youtube]bYidWIxJfNY[/media]
[media=youtube]oGRH4rTmVsM[/media]
[media=youtube]BBajw_GGElw[/media]
[media=youtube]OFAZ5FugfqE[/media]
[media=youtube]qU-n5LJfHHk[/media]