Chun Li Q&A Thread: Interpol Information Desk

exactly

qcf+k for legs
qcf+k for super

you can’t hit confirm it just got to yolo it and confirm off whatever you wanted to confirm the legs off of.

what are common/most optimal ways for chun li to deal with fireballs?

C.mp, well timed VSkill, CA/Super if you’re in range

I’ve been having some trouble dealing with some character block-strings / flow charts online.

For example, when Karin gets a knockdown and does a wake-up empty jump. She’ll start doing some priority low normals into her shoulder-to-elbow move (that I think is safe on block?) and basically pressures me non stop.

Cr.lp, st.lp, st.mp all lose to whatever she’s doing. Attempting to throw obviously loses also. Can’t back-dash or jump either (she usually catches me), and it feels like I just keep getting hit until she mixes me up with an overhead / throw / command grab and starts the whole process over again.

Is there a specific normal where I can counter with a cr.lp or ex.sbk? Should I be using my V-reversal there (tried once and actually got thrown through the animation on reaction).

How do you deal with that kind of non-stop pressure when they get in their optimal range and go to town with that kind of stuff?

It’s never non-stop, there’s always holes. You just have to find them and know what counters them.

You have to recognize when your opponent is - and +. When she’s pressuring you with medium punches, she’s +. This is where you don’t press anything. When she’s doing her shoulder she’s -2. This is where you can press anything and will beat whatever the Karin player is doing. Basically, when Karin’s use that shoulder move they lose all pressure cause they’re -. The only thing she can do if she’s - that will beat your option is EX DP or super.

Also, if she doesn’t use her shoulder you can keep blocking and wait for her to push herself out of range. The only way for her to get back in is to walk inside. When you’re walking, you can’t block. Try to hit her out of her walk. If the Karin player is smart, she’ll do her little string, then pretend to walk up and do a sweep or something to counter you trying to hit her out of her walk up. Another thing she can do is try to bait the normal you’re using to hit her out of her walk and let it whiff, and then whiff punish it.

Defense is basically just reading your opponent and defending in a way that will beat the option they’re going for. Everything has a counter. The only problem with defense is that the odds are always stacked against you. That’s why you want to be on the offensive if you can.

That’s the beauty of Street Fighter :stuck_out_tongue:

I appreciate the response. I looked over the frame data and educated myself on why I was having so many problems (besides just choking).

It’s hard to get over the bad conditioning from SF4 (crouch tech throw, backdash, mashing jab) but I’m slowly forcing myself to.

Part of my issue was I thought a “hole” in the block-string / flow-chart pressure meant that I could have a clean punish or a safe way to regain my spacing.

So now that I’m a little further along in scrub school, I have a new question:

What’s the best way to apply pressure after successfully defending against my opponent’s pressure?

or let me be more specific:

What if, let’s say, Karin got me into the corner with her little block-string and just finished the safe shoulder move. What’s the best way to handle the situation?

• cr.lp would reach her (she’d safely block it), but the st.mp would whiff.

• if i try to walk forward a step to close the distance she’ll probably hit me (maybe even on reaction?) even if i block the hit i’m back to being pressured.

• if i jump she’ll anti air (every karin i play against seems like the master of anti airs on reaction)

• instant air lightning legs is good, but it’s kind of a one trick pony (especially in the corner situation)…after seeing me use it earlier in the match, a karin i played punished me with her ex shoryuken windmill thing

What would be some solid options chun could use in that situation?

@xXAlucard I’ve been suffering from the same problem online. With most of the match ups being new to me I find myself guessing at which moves I can punish. Also idk if it’s just my connection but sometimes it seems like the punish window is very small. That said one of my go to punishes for those small windows is c.Lp~lklegs,c.Lp~lksbk. It starts with a 3f jab and gets you a kd. Idk if it’s optimal but it’s fast and consistent

Don’t jump. People are always expecting you to jump when you’re being pressured. It’s the most common response to panicking. Chun Li’s jump is also very floaty, even if they use a slow normal, you still won’t be able to punish them by jumping on it cause her jump is just too slow. I almost never jump with Chun, I would rather use her vskill and even that I use very sparringly. And yeah, mashing throw is really bad in this game. You have to actually read when your opponent wants to throw and tech.

To answer your question, it all depends on what type of player your opponent is (or even what type of mindset your opponent is in, if it’s a good player and adapts easily with different playstyles), and it’s all about reading your opponent. There’s some players that looooove to just press every button, all the time, even if they’re -. For these you would just use cr.lp first (because it’s +, and to regain pressure), afterwards you can use any fast poke that will reach her to kinda push her away (cr.mk, st.mk, or even st.hp if she’s far too far for mk’s). If they press a lot of buttons they’ll probably get hit by all of them. You could even just convert the cr.lp (on counterhit) into a cr.mk xx medium.SBK, which is what I always do if I notice my opponent is button happy.

If the opponent is smarter though, and won’t press too many buttons you can just convert the cr.lp into your own offense and use the + frames to close the distance and use it as a tick throw or even frame trap (cl.mp). Or you can even walk into their throw range and then walk backwards and let them whiff a throw (trying to tech your throw attempt), then punish that throw recovery (st.mp, cr.mk xx medium.SBK is one of the best punishes you can get here, but cr.mk xx heavy legs works too).

If your opponent is smart and doesn’t press anything after the shoulder cause he knows it’s -, you can also just walk up throw/frame trap without the cr.lp. When your opponent isn’t pressing buttons, walking up to their space is the direct counter and the correct answer to them not pressing buttons.

Against good players though, they’ll remember what you did in this situation and then adapt. What I mean by this is, if the last time you did cr.lp, walk up throw. The next time this situation happens and they block your cr.lp, they will try to beat either your walk up (by poking), or tech your throw.

Usually online players won’t really adapt though and you can just keep doing whatever you’re doing that worked the last time and it will work again.

Street Fighter isn’t black and white and always has ‘this’ option that beats everything, it’s all about how your opponent is playing and how to counter it. Everything has a counter. Literally everything.

Instant air lightning legs for example counters if they try to poke you with lows after they block your cr.lp (like try to poke your walk-up). It’s not necessarily a bad option, it’s just one of the many options you have. So if you noticed the Karin player trying to poke you with cr.mk or something in these types of situation, then Instant air lightning legs is one of many correct answers. If she antiairs you with EX shoryuken, then she was waiting for you to do something and she countered you properly. This time going for walk-up, or simply just poking safely was the correct play.

Hello, friends!
Can someone please tell me what to do with mashers?

I mean i`ve done no knockdown combo, like crLP, qcfLK, so i have + on hit
I try to apply some pressure after that, like fMP and mashers interrupt me with crPunch!
I cant do dash throw, cause i get interrupted
i cant do HK, or overhead because of that reason again
all i can do is crLP ! but only if qcfLK didnt push them away too much
How am i supposed to mix up them after on-hit advantage?

same goes for neutral. I hit with fMP and 90% people dont respect this! they trying to mash something after that
so they it 2-3 fMP at max range again into counter! and at 4th time i eat their sweep into CC! OMG, I got CC`ed!!! after hit advantage!
they continue mashing something, no blocking! i cant mix them, cause i eat random poke
how to deal with all those annoying mash?

If they’re consistently mashing 2LP after your lightning legs, just whiff punish them. Same thing with your other example.

If you are unable to frame trap someone due to spacing or the normal you used, then stop trying to challenge mashers with frame trap or pressure. Start looking towards whiff punishing their moves instead or using disjointed hitboxes.

Just because you hit them doesn’t mean you have the right to start doing whatever you want. Spacing, risk/reward, and how much of an actual advantage you have in terms of frames matter a lot. You can’t say “Well, I hit them with a combo into lightning legs, it’s time to run my mixup” when you’re only +3 on it and it pushes them out too far. Or “I hit them with max 6MP range, it’s okay to casually walk in and start doing Chun-Li stuff.” That’s not how it works.

I find this iteration of SF does a good job of neutering button mashers. Just let them push buttons, they’ll open themselves up eventually and you punish. You don’t need to be right in their face, capitalize on their lack of know how.

i cant punish their crPunch whiff! its too fast and iam too afar from them usually!
If u insist for me to sit down and wait their revesr mash: so its is either their crP whiffs and unpanishable, or some other move hit my block

Well they can’t just jab all day long until the timer is up. Wait for them to do something else.

How do you preform chun Li air instant legs ?

who are some of the best chun li players right now that i can watch and learn from?

I recommend, AliouneSensei, JesterPower, Nuki777, LagerBorg
I watch them and a few others. With Cannes airing this weekend I’m sure we’ll see some more solid Chuns
If Valmaster and Kayane play her then, definitely keep an eye on them two.
Ezo looked pretty good.

Are safe jumps gone does chun li have any safe time to jump in?

Check the video thread

This works against most reversals except on quick tech ones that hit both sides like EX spinning bird kick can get ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnIcjNP6ysk

Stateside- Crackfiend, Iansanity, Ricki Ortiz

I’m sick and tired of these online gimmicks I’m literally chasing down these Ryu and Ken players what should i do