Chun Li Match Up Thread

Discuss your thoughts and tactics for this match up here -

I approach this matchup like this

1. Get away
  2. Throw v-skill light boom
  3. come in with anti air low/overhead mixup
  4. Rinse and repeat

We absolutely can not contend with Chun in midrange. We win in two positions in this matchup 1. full screen 2. in her face at boom advantage.

Yep agree. Finally had a good set against a decent Chun and this match didn’t seem too terrible.

Yep sadly the typical mid-range Guile game doesn’t work with Chun. You’re gonna have to take advantage of his much better fireballs.

This matchup feels really hard to me. Chun can punish booms on-reaction with V-Skill and punish our V-Skill on reaction with cr.MP. Very annoying. I don’t see many Chuns online doing that yet, but offline at my locals we have a really solid Chun player and he has no problem punishing my booms and V-Skills most of the time. It’s frustrating because she has better walk speed than Guile so not only is it hard to zone with projectiles, it’s also hard to space footsies.

I could be missing something as it’s still early, but so far I think this matchup might be our worst one. Maybe like 3.5 imo :expressionless:

Salt rant. Don’t take this post too seriously.

I know there’s so much more to the MU but I feel like Chun wins just by walking forward and pressing crMP. Our best punish to a mis-spaced crMP? crJab Flashkick. If we walk forward to throw it off? crJab crJab.

If our target combos weren’t so fucking garbage we would be able to get some better punishes.

I hate this matchup with a passion. Chun feels like auto-footsies with her bullshit buttons and stLK AA.

Chun Li’s jump is horrendous, so I abuse sonic booms in neutral and just do my best to keep her out. I like to do a heavy boom any time I block a st.hp or any time she whiffs a normal.

You do have to be careful of her cr. mp though - especially if she has the bars for v-trigger. Once she’s in v-trigger she wins the match-up, so I reckon the best strategy is to zone her out hard, wait until she pops the v-trigger and then just run like hell.

She can punish the v-skill and sonic boom on reaction from max cr.mp range. But she definitely cannot v-skill the sonic boom on reaction. H boom hits her out of it if she tries to react even from half screen. I think shutting down the cr. mp will be the hardest part of the match-up.

Chun’s V Skill is definitely too slow to punish any fireball on reaction. Your fireball patterns being predictable is the only way she can be hitting you with V Skills jump ins. Long as you mix up your patterns there’s no way she can V Skill without getting AA’d on reaction.

Got bopped 5-0 by who I think was Riceater’s Chun earlier. Then straight away I played another Chun that was good but wasn’t as good as Riceater and narrowly won.

I think I lost the first game mainly because he was the better player (I thought his Chun was better than when I played Ricki Ortiz). However, I did get to see some of Guile’s flaws in this match -

I don’t think her jumping in is the problem. It’s just really hard to keep her away from you. Her walk speed and cr.mp slide seemed more of a problem than a jump in or her V-Skill. Her cr.mk going under our st.hp and back fist is annoying too. I also felt more susceptible to throw and shimmy tactics than I do against most other characters.

I was lost as to what to do when she has a full super. I started to think if you are right at the start of a round and she has full bar, just let her super you through a sonic boom. I might be wrong on that though. The damage isn’t that bad and then she has no meter.

She can also use air legs to go over our booms/sonic cross. This is annoying because it means she’s not forced to come to you and you can end up on the wrong end of the damage if you go towards her.

Ok so upon a marathon of playing this match both as Guile and Chun Li (my Chun is actually pretty good now), I think Chun wins this match and it might even be 7-3 bad. She can take so many risks in order to score big damage. Guile can’t get big punishes unless he has full meter. Misjudged a flash kick? Get crush countered.

This match actually reminds me of SF4 vanilla Sagat. The amount of effort you have to put in even to win a round against a competent Chun is staggering.

Feels to me like Sagat is a good comparison. Really rough match for Guile. You have to buckle up, keep your head down, and work the whole time.

So Daigo thinks this is the way to beat Chun (with Ryu but I think it can be applied to Guile) - Keep her worrying about crouch block as much as possible. Crouching narrows all her normals. This means you have to commit to a lot of sweeps, even just to condition the Chun to block low. He thinks that if you play the fireball game with her, you will lose (even if you have the better fireball).

Now she is crouch blocking, use your overhead. There is a range you can get the overhead to hit where her cr.mk will whiff but I’m not sure exactly how to setup that spacing so it can be used all the time.

Don’t attempt tech throwing. Reversal or mash lights/sweep instead as you gain more from winning. If you get crushed for doing this her crush counter combos are about the same as if you whiff a throw and she punishes with a instant air legs combo. If you tech a throw you gain nothing. Guile actually has an easier way of dealing with instant air legs because he has flash kick, whereas Ryu’s best option is to parry.

He also said that you want to try to get Chun in Ryu’s throw loop corner scenario where she has to guess between another throw or dp. I’m not sure what Guile’s equivalent is but I’m guessing it would be his back fist target combo or going for some kind of shimmy setup.

Been trying to get more experience with this match up, and the most success I’ve had is by staying out of cr.mp range entirely. However, I played a few sets with a Chun recenetly (lost 2, won 1). and I actually got him to stop using cr.mp at it’s optimal range. I just got the hang of his pattern and swept it as a hard read a few times. It has more recovery than the animation suggests, so you can definitely whiff punish poorly spaced ones too.

Aside from that, I can attest that this match feels best played at range. I actually felt like Guile can do OK in the mid-range game, but Chun does have him beat on paper there. If you can somehow condition them to stop using cr.mp though, it feels much more doable.

Nice little tip I’ve found -

Throw out hp booms and try to get her to slide. At the moment you expect her to slide, throw a lp boom and it will hit the recovery of the slide.

Upside down kicks are good against slide happy chun lis. the upside down kick and chun’s slide will both whiff but guile will recover first. I think this match is pretty even until Chun gets v-trigger. then it becomes a really bad matchup for guile. Slide cancel into v-trigger is pretty whack.

It’s actually really good. I didn’t realise how much of a difference maker it was until I realised Guile recovered first. But yea if you can ride out the V-Trigger then you have a chance.

Why is chun li’s anti air light kick still super good?