Chun-Li HD Remix

I tried this today and it wouldn’t combo ;_; But for some reason I was able to land a cr.strong, st.forward into the super.

Holy shit, Akuma has the scariest lockdown I’ve ever seen. I played Sirlin today - not because we’re buddies mind you :frowning: but by chance- and he did the coolest thing (for Akuma, not for Chun :P) :

Once he got me in the corner and knocked me down, he got just outside the range of my longest range air attack (Neutral J.Hk) and did this:

Neutral Jump Jab Fireball / C.Mk xx ?p fireball (not sure which one, but I’m guessing Lp), Tk Fireball / C.Mk xx fireball xN.

The neutral jump fireball makes sure that Chun can’t reverse it, and it’s intentionally not meaty, so as to allow Chun to try and jump out of it. A forward jump will cause you to hit the air fireball, and a neutral jump will leave you in a spot of trouble, too. Afterwards, the TK fireball is the only spot where you can reversal, and it’s still risky. Even if you land the reversal, it’ll be a trade, and if you mess up, you eat a combo or get reset.

Another thing that I didn’t think to try until the match was over is to simply triangle jump out of it, but that could also be risky. If someone gets stuck in this lockdown pattern, try triangle jumping out of it and see how safe it is. Any knowledge against Akuma is worth noting, since there’s no matchup knowledge against him in the first place.

finally played a match against a srk forumer! it was cool. hope to play u more chunbelievable!

well the new sbk… just use it at random. i just wish that the start up was quicker and less recovery haha ;p

oh i discovered one thing that i REALLY dislike!!! its her super move… i know the damage has been reduced by a LOT (i think they should have allowed chun to do her upkicks as a follow up like in ST), but this doesnt count when you are facing against chun.

in a mirror match against chun, her super will cause around 55-60% damage. its still a 6 hit super, unlike against other characters where it is a 5 hit super along with less damage. argh and i hate playing against sagat as the super usually hits 4 times, the damage is -_-"

and how do u guys use the sbk as a follow up? i havent be able to do this.

So what is a good strategy for fighting against Ryu and Akuma? Those are my two toughest matchups.

http://www.shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Chun-Li_(ST)#Vs._Ryu

This is a matchup analysis of Chun v Ryu in ST. There’s only two considerable differences:

1. When trying to punish fireballs from fullscreen with J.Foward (J.Mk), know that Ryu can always fake out by either doing Short Hurricane / DP, or NOW, he can just do a fake fireball. Be careful trying to do this.

2. It’s no longer safe to whiff Air SBKs when in Ryu’s corner trap.

This match is still retarded in Hawk’s favor, and I think even more so now that Dive leaves him so close. Now that Hawk has O. Hawk’s d+fp splash, Chun can barely do anything against any Hawk player spamming that move. The only place she’s “safe” from repeated cross-up splash is in the corner, which lends it self to tick throw mania. The only reason this Chun mismatch isn’t well known is because O. Hawk was barely played until recently with Toutanki and K bringing the pain

Close S.Mk pretty much beats every jumping Hawk normal, including that splash. In fact, it’s pretty easy to beat that splash even with other moves, like Upkicks and even Far S.Hk. Honestly, even if it didn’t, the fight is much easier. There were two very scary aspects of this fight, New or Old Hawk (And, by the way, I used O Hawk and had studied this match quite a bit in ST):

1. Hawk Dive knocked down. If you get knocked down, it’s a very good chance you’re getting 360’d.

2. Chun has absolutely NO way to avoid option select 360. If you’re cornered, you’re dead.

Now, Hawk can’t do either. It’s pretty much impossible for Hawk to close the gap on the ground, because C.Mk keeps him at a a distance to where his DP can’t hit her - in fact, she’s STILL at a safe distance after a Hawk Dive. Thankfully, due to this, the threat of Hawk Dives are no longer there. Hell, I’ll even try trading with a few, just for shits and giggles.

So, Thawk has to jump. This isn’t even scary, because S.Mk beats every single jumping attack that Thawk has. Thus, Hawk has to get in close and mind game his way into a knockdown or walkup 360 to get something going now, or catch Chun looking on one of his Jump-ins.

The match versus O Hawk was already in 5-5 at best - now it’s definitely got to be worse.

I’ve played a lot of Chuns on ggpo, and nothing consistently beat O. Hawk’s splash right on top of her. Upkicks don’t beat splash very consistently, and at least in HD remix, splash beats far st. mk. Granted its going to be harder to land a “meaty” splash since dive doesn’t knock down, but once you get Chun to block one, its pretty much a lockdown because nothing animates in time to stop the splash. I was playing against smoothcat on ggpo, and he tried every normal, including close st. rh and close st. mk to knock me out and both got stuffed.

Its really only useful once Hawk has a lead because the Chun could decide not to panic and just block all of the splashes as they leave Hawk too far away to land cr. jab->SPD or anything remotely scary

Wow, Vega roll > legs.

To me, that just doesn’t make sense, its like if he walked up into my legs and threw me.

Granted I am certainly not that good of a Chun player but I will say this about Hawk. I generally have a real problem playing against other Chun players. I was able to abuse a pretty good Chun player with Hawk for the “Masters” achievement. There can be a ton of reasons why this happened but I got two perfect rounds by keeping her pinned.

I could really used help with her defense. When playing as Chun if I get pinned down I am pretty much screwed. Blanka jumping short, Bison standing short when I got backed into the corner… I can’t get out of it. I win because I don’t often let myself get into those situations and I do the rushing down, even a little against Gief. But it is when I do get backed up and pinned that the round is over.

That happened to me like three times today and it wasn’t command throws, this needs to be fixed as far as I am concerned. I realize if the Lightning Kick combo’d for multiple hits it would be completely retarded but I should be able to be thrown in the middle of it after the first hit has already connected.

I’m intrigued; I really want to see if I’m wrong or right. Care to friend me or invite me to a match? My gamertag is Skankin Garbage.

I’ll add you, probably can’t play until later tonight I should warn you that I"m pretty garbage on the EX2 compared to my ps3 controller options, In the meantime check out [media=youtube]MFMIEl75cfs at 0:35 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ27ZHvNWMg[/media] at 0:12. I can’t say that I’ve ever been thrown after hitting with an early splash though.

Well I’m kind of new to ST overall and I played some games today, I had some trouble with Claw,Boxer, and Sagat(I won this one, but it was hard fought and the guy was clearly new, I realized if he was slightly better I probably would’ve lost) anyone care to elaborate on these 3 matches?

Well I had some probs with Claw too. I lost the first 2 rounds and I thought it was over but in the end I won the match by throwing Claw all the time. Just be sure not let him do his wall jump and if he does… triangle jump mk or air throw.

Against Rog I will just keep throwing fireballs and jump back mk, fireball, jump back mk, fireball… and if he is too close I will headstomp him and air SBK to get some space.

basically, chun’s ground sbk is the only new point of interest for her in this game

uses:

• has lower body invul on landing. if you do it outside of dp range, the move is basically safe to use to advance forward… as long as you went through a fireball

• allows chun to safely advance through a fullscreen fireball while still storing super. this is kind of a big deal, because in her biggest problem matches (ryu sagat) even after you built a full bar you still had to find a way to get into midrange with it. this is probably chun’s biggest buff

• (untested) new sbk is probably a good counter to vega’s wall dive, which is something she really lacked before. theoretically, you should be able to just sbk as soon as you see vega go to the wall

lightning legs is basically nerfed; them being easier doesn’t really amount to anything, since most chun players got them whenever they wanted anyway. lower damage and having a vulnerable hitbox in the middle area strictly lessens the potential of the move

air sbk is pretty useless for the most part. backwards air sbks is ok for going over low tigers while still keeping a horizontal charge for a fireball, but i cant find much other use for it

it’s also a nerf compared to the previous sbk, which was useful for building meter jumping back against ryu and sagat (her main problem matches)

df+roundhouse got a huge nerf. now instead of setting that up after a knockdown you now have to go for a jumping crossup (not possible in a lot of cases) or meaty low forward (risky)

overall chun is worse than her st incarnation, though possibly a bit more interesting depending on if more uses for her ground sbk appear

Her sbk is a sick anti-air. I generally use it once I’ve conditioned my opponent to jump over my fireballs.

I do the same, I’ll even cancel off a low forward once my opponents figure out they can jump over a jab kikkoken cancelled off the same move. The sooner the move is done there is a better chance of an anti air.

For me, I feel that Chun has gotten nerfed “on paper”, but has gotten stronger for players like me. Why? Because easier to mash lightning legs.

In old ST, I couldn’t do stand fierce XX RH Legs , or low forw xx legs consistently. Now I can.

So if you’re buktooth, NKI, Nuki, or someone that could do all of those things before, she’s way weaker. But if you’re like me, and couldn’t do them, she’s effectively much stronger. Now I have options I simply didn’t have before.

My XBLA ranking is probably shit now (trying to learn blanka), but I was able to get #1 on ranking a couple of days ago by playing regular ST chun li style and adding LL combos to my repertoire.

I figured out a fun tricky use for her new SBK. Jump in RH, st.MP, cr.MK xx RH SBK. The SBK doesn’t really combo, but it can make the opponent go WTF. And if they do anything other than block or SRK, it’ll probably hit them for the dizzy. If it dizzies, repeat this combo and then walk up throw instead of SBK FTW.

Certainly not solid, but it’s a fun mixup when you get the chance for a clean jump-in :wgrin: