Canon Strike Crossup setups... They exist?

Hey guys I figured this would be a cool thread to start for anyone who didn’t think our girl had crossup canon strikes hoping that maybe it will encourage you to hit the lab and share some of your own for us all to benefit from. Also so those who might have already known about this might be generous enough to share some of their setups so we can have them all in a nice neat page to reference. Sooo, I have been in the lab for a couple of hours while watching some cammy vids on pressure and frame traps when a certain setup gave me an idea for Decapre. I have only tested it on 3 characters so far but 3 for 3 got me too excited to share. any ways I have stumbled upon an interesting back throw setup that leads into a cross up ex cannon strike. simply throw a crouching medium punch after back throw and mk+hk Ex Scramble. Time the spiral cannon to hit meaty on wake up and there you have it. The best part is even on block the advantage is godlike so your pressure is faaaaaaar from over unlike if you scramble xx break. Of course timing varies with delayed wake up so adjust accordingly. So far it works on guile Ryu and cody. guile’s flash kick wiffs, ryus shoryuken wiffs but his ultra 1 auto correctpunishes and his special’s hit-box somehow catches her >_< cody can trade via ex tornado uppercut though It beats you clean when it autocorrects in corner. He can also punish you with ultra 1, the dust from ultra 2 NOT the full ultra, and his super. The way I see it is if your paying attention to your opponents bar and weighing your options you should be relatively safe. I will continue to try this on more characters and update as I go. excited to see what you guys might have come up with. (btw I’ll probably upload a video if anyone is having too much trouble with the timing).

Rolento: Welp rolento can Mekong Delta attack out of it :frowning: and can punish it with special. It beats everything else clean but when does a rolento not MDA on wake-up?

Ryu: update… If the setup is done outside of the corner ryu will only be hit if he is crouching. for future reference I will put a *X by everyone who is allowed that option.

x-C. Viper: Okay… she can ex burning kick for a clean punish, Ex seismic, or HP Thunder knuckle and trade/beat out the cannon strike. All that along with the fact that she must crouch block to get hit = NOT WORTH :frowning:

Decided to just get all the charge characters out of the way.

Side note: back dashes and focus attacks are the universal escape option. Your ex scramble xx break (HP) breaks armor and punishes bd’s for the most part so watch for peoples mannerisms and respond accordingly.

Guile: cant flash kick, Works perfectly

Balrog: Hit box too big, Does NOT cross up. But nullifies ALL of his wake up options.

x Bison: (Midscreen) only works on bison when crouching. if he is NOT crouching it WILL whiff unless in corner. other option includes ex Psycho crusher
(Corner) So I can’t seem to get the EX psycho Crusher to come out for the life of me in corner. the only explanation I can think of is the scramble crosses you up at such an awkward time that the autocorrect wake up is impossible or extremely difficult to time and the charge is nullified. his only option seems to be to teleport.

Vega: Does NOT Cross up but nullifies wakeup options. u1 gets snuffed out while U2 whiffs. his 3xP and 3xk escapes are both punishable on reaction. Completely safe lockdown.

Chun li: So Chun’s a little special. The cross up is a little different for her… what you want to do is throw out one lp and hold forward after your charge just enough to close some distance before you scramble. then you want to hit the LK+HK scramble into cannon spike. this crosses chun up only if she is crouching but does not whiff under any circumstances. also beats out spinning bird kick clean, U1 whiffs as well as ultra 2. She has NO unique options. what more could you ask for? :slight_smile:

Blanka: Does NOT cross up. electrocution beats you out clean on wake up. other wake ups including U1 all whiff however ex up ball puts him full screen distance out of corner. NOT WORTH lol

Deejay: double rolling sobat gets beaten, ex jacknife and U2 wiffs. U1 and super full punishes you. without ultra or full meter he has no unique options.

x Ehonda: Doesnt cross up midscreen and wiffs if crouching in corner. Buttslam wiffs. headbutts beat you clean. Ult 1 can be blocked. NOT WORF

OKay im going to take a little break for now but gonna cover the shotos, seth, sakura (she count as shoto?) , sagat, and other generic uppercuts.

Back throw then high scramble divekick beats almost every reversal in the game. You have to place it differently for different characters and I have encountered a few reversals it doesn’t beat, pretty sure guy ex tatsus and Rufus ex messiah beat it. But I don’t think it ever crosses up, is pretty rare if it does. Just something to consider when you are mixing up.

Noice. and yeah it is pretty damn good. it does cross up on a crouching chun on wake up for sure. just have to time it with a light jab and barely walk forward into ex scramble.

As a Cammy player who has been obsessed with cross-up Strikes over the years, my goal with Decapre has been to play a more close-ended, divekick oki style, while mixing in her unique tools from time to time, so I’ve been looking for this stuff.

With that said, are you looking more for frame kill setups, or just anything in general?

what i dont understand about whiffing buttons is now you have to hit 2 buttons on time instead of 1, plus now your opponent pretty much has a good idea as to what you are up to. i get why people do it, just sayin’ i like manual timings better. but believe me, i have been bodied by the shit so i cant really hate.

Anything in general really. Just to sort of explore and see what other people are doing. I have kind of been slacking in the thread because of preparation for NEC but I’ll work on the rest of the characters promised tonight and tomorrow.

Yeah I see what you mean. At this point it is just easier for me to use when testing on so many different characters with so many different hit-boxes in the lab. I agree that manual timing is much better once you have it down.

Btw while I’m here Dudely only gets hits let alone crossed up if crouching. When standing cross-up height completely whiffs. All of his reversals whiff and counter is snuffed out . However he can auto correct ultra 2 if timed right. In conclusion for Dudley players its no more then a gimmick :frowning:

Anyways, I realized that I should upload a video for reference of what I’m referring to so I’ll post one tonight.

Off of her LK scramble slide knockdown, if you walk back a bit, HK Scramble MK dive kick, it can cross up. It’s a manual timing so it takes some experimenting. It’s the strictest to on Balrog imo, because of his hitbox and the fact that his waking up moves him backwards.

If timed correctly, reversal dp’s whiff, it’s at least +7 on hit, and you can confirm off of it with cr.lp cr.mp/cr.mk xx Slide, and they’re right back in the same situation.

If they DWU, the “Technical” shows as you’ve started walking back, so if you’re good at reacting to it, whiff st.lp to cover it, and you can still get the setup.

damn i was STSFN oh well.

Decapre actually has a divekick vortex off of slide, though i’ve found that reacting to dwu with a jab is not practical on that particular knockdown especially because some of the crossups to be done at a safe height require you to walk back then forward, but you can a lot of the time just delay lk strike instead of mk strike vs. dwu. You can also mp break to go for an “empty jump” low short.

When you do that walk back then walk forward reversals are more likely to whiff, and you have a tendency to hit lower on their body which leads to safer divekicks

Against Gen I prefer Razor’s Edge Slicer, whiff cr.jab, hk scramble mk divekick as it tends to hit super low vs. him

Against Sagat I prefer Razor’s Edge Slicer, whiff st.jab, lk+hk scramble divekick as he’s so tall that it’s extremely difficult to get safe strikes off against him

Against Cammy I prefer Razors Edge Slicer, tiny step back tiny step forward, hk scramble, lk divekick as it is sometimes unblockable if timed correctly.

Other benefits of the walk back then forward strike are that you tend to land closer to the opponent on the back side(which means you can cl.mp instead of doing a jab combo), you’re more likely to avoid a reversal, and the strikes tend to be 3 way unblockable, but not the same 3 way unblockable, so it becomes much more difficult to block them.

So ideally you want to do something like whatever combo xx RES, 3 way unblockable divekick, cl.mp(holding forward from your old relative position) confirm what side you are on if needed, cr.mp, [cr.mk if you are same side] xx slide. Then on the next divekick do like cr.mp cr.mp xx dp or hands or w/e.

sequencing for dives that land on the back for most characters

cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mp xx RES = 250 stun
+
divekick, cl.mp, cr.mk xx RES = 350 stun
+
divekick, cr.mp, cr.mk xx sting = 406 stun

1006 stun

or divekick, cr.mp xx ex hands = 400 stun iirc correctly too so you can burn a bar to get a little more damage on the stun combo.

On characters you can do more extended combos on you can maybe do an extended combo to slide, then a more stunning front side divekick combo then sometimes just do like divekick xx normal xx dp for the stun. etc. Or if the character has higher stun you can work in an fadc air throw or do extended combo xx ex hands.

Alternative vortex starter is lowest version of hands you can safejump someone off of(if you can safejump off of mp and lp, do lp), then jump forward and immediately hold back as you were going to do your safejump. If they don’t quickrise you can then go for an hk scramble and start your business.

Oh shit, I didn’t mean to make you have to expose your goods. I’m new to this side of town, but I’m glad to know I’m at least on the “right” track.

I was just about to explore the vortex optimized for stun, but you’ve already laid that out PLUS more! I just hope you still have some stuff saved for yourself lol.

wow this is awesome info guys. I have recently added it to my arsenal and its a very effective tool. However I have began finding the same holes that I found in the back throw set-up . Correct me if I’m wrong but some characters seem to be able to forward walk right out of it :worried: Have you guys experienced this? Maybe my timing is of but I am exploring ways out of it with ryu currently. I’m sure someone like Cody or Guile remain defenseless. Thanks again :smiley:

If they can walk out of it you did the strike too late, or spaced it incorrectly. Characters need different timing, and sometimes different versions or activation ranges of where to start the strike.

there are some characters like elena where it’s extremely finnicky on them, and some tall or particularly wide character where it will be consistently unsafe on, but it’s pretty useful overall. It’s a huge boon vs. the Twins.

Sorry what’s a 3 wag unblockable dive kick?

there’s 4 ways you can block in SF4: crouch block(down back), stand block(back), cross up crouch block(down forward), cross up stand block(forward). 3 way unblockable means that only one of those options will avoid the unblockable. this is the next best thing for a dive kick set up next to 4 way (complete) unblockable. best case scenario for a dive kick 3 way unblockable is if the correct defensive action is cross up crouch block (down forward) since this is usually the least used option by the knocked down player.

Thank you sir

Holy crap guys you see our new standing medium punch? 5 frames now i believe plus it has always out-ranged crouching medium kick. safe light hands for days! That one tool could really solidify her footsies :,) anyways back on topic yeah I found out my error with the back throw setup so now shoto hitboxes can’t walk out of it. I basically am just adapting Veserius’ slide setup for smaller hit box characters and for people like guile now they have to fear a cross up anywhere from mid to close range. Still can’t seem to safely dive kick E. ryu after a slide into the setup though. Timing so tough but really worth it :confused: gonna try to practice it up on certain hurt-boxes.

Just restart to play the game, so i went to the lab i just found this. Not sure if its known:
http://youtu.be/flxtOi9THSA

You can crossup a lot of character with this, and can be safe even against good reversal like yun or blanka. It can be stuffed but you have to be like no guard.

Didn’t know it was unblockable vs. deejay, but I posted the setup like 6 posts up.

Oh my bad, dont understand your setup like that. Think you have to walk backward then tiny walk forward with the mk strike.
It is also an unblockable versus fuerte but it is unsafe against EX Quesadilla (EX Guacamole whiff and you can react to EX run). I like this setup as even if they block crossup it tends to land in front of the opponent. I will dig further this way, hoping to find a way to make our dive positive on block.