Cannon Spike! The Cammy Thread

Cammy is extremely good online. Hooligan jump is even stronger online than offline, because the opponent has less time to react to it (thanks, lag).

Also, meaty crouching mk, st. fierce xx short cannon drill is all kinds of win.

hahah hooligans are retarded until you get predictable with it. And with the new motion, it’s so easy to buffer it from a c.mk.

Hey Goryus, I saw your name on the PSN scoreboard. Good job haha.

seconded. its added a lot to my mix up game with her.

any particular cammy players to look out for online? i’d like to see what other strats are out there. since playing i’ve only matched up against a run away / pyscho crusher spamming dictator, and another cammy that played the same as me

Thanks for the input James. I’ve read several of your posts in the old Cammy thread and they helped out a lot.

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have a pessimistic feel about Cammy in this game. It just seems that Fei Long and Blanka got such huge buffs to help them out, while she really only got a limited couple (and at the same time, nerfed).

I’ve never been a good ST player though, so I try not to take this initial opinion too seriously. Hopefully I’m proven wrong.

Cammy v Guile is the new Cammy v Honda. Please prove me wrong. I was at like #70 on the scoreboard for all of 30 minutes with JUST cammy, and a record of around 25-2, then I played 4 guiles in a row and I’m down to #200. ;_;

Honda doesn’t seem THAT bad anymore to me, by the way. Maybe I’m just playing crappy hondas in random online. She’s much better at doing everything.

In fact, aside from Guile I have not played or thought of a single matchup yet that really seems genuinely bad for her in this game. Maybe Deejay, though. I need to play against a deejay. I think she can hold her own in general, and the plan now is that aside from having a guile counter of some sort (maybe sagat?) I am going to be playing hardcore cammy. :woot:

You’re right, guile has been somewhat of a nightmare for me tonight. I’m going to look at the matchup again and try to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

What can she use to punish blocked Blanka ball? Drill?

Nothing punishes blocked blanka ball in this game IIRC, it’s REALLY safe now. You have to either hit him out of it or not do anything, basically.

A deeper analysis of the guile matchup in my eyes:

The main problem for me is guile’s specials. If guile throws a boom, which is pretty much all the time, cammy has about 4 remotely important options that I can think of.

Backfist seems to either result in guile getting a free flashkick/blocking it at best, or cammy getting the hits, but running into the boom in the process.

Hooligan over it works if you predict really well, but otherwise he just sits there and flash kicks you for trying it. I have yet to try LP hooligan over it until he makes a mistake, but that’s still bad. At least you don’t get hit for free, though.

Block and walk forward doesn’t seem to work very well. It’s guile, that’s to be expected. He’ll just cr.MK you out of your range and start throwing booms again

Jumping at all, even straight up, has gotten me hit by HK flash kick every single time, or of course jumping back has gotten me hit by the boom.

All kinds of stuff punishes blanka ball still.

Dee Jay max out
Fei Long Rekka Kens
Boxer dash punch
Bison scissors
Other blanka balls

Etc.

Straight jump for the win. Just do it a little farther away. I haven’t lost to one guile online so far, playing almost all Cammy, and I was ranked mid-twenties most of the day. (Just lost a match and went down to 30.)

I know about its new safety, but I was able to punish it with Vega cr.strong on block. I have more trouble with torpedo characters than anyone else with Cammy.

ok, fair enough, I hadn’t really tried any of that stuff.

I did say I’d jumped straight up, it doesn’t get me past the HK flash kick. It goes really far forward, and it’s giving me way too much trouble.

The horizontal range on the RH flashkick’s hitbox is barely greater than it used to be. Guile does travel really far forward, but the flashkick doesn’t hit for most of that.

Seriously, compare the hitboxes between Remixed and Classic in training mode. THe difference is way smaller than you probably think.

I honestly haven’t had much trouble with Guile. Maybe I’m just fighting scrubbier Guiles.

Any safe hits out of the ball? Best I’ve found is drill, and it trades.

Best option IMO is Hooligan. There really isn’t a safe counter for booms with Cammy that I’ve seen yet, but this gives me the most success. You have to mix between that and backfist so that he doesn’t see it coming a mile away, but Hooligan (non-throw, baseball slide) for the knockdown, then rush him down with drills/flips. Obviously, if you give Guile enough room to charge safely again, then you’ve destroyed your hope of winning.it just depends on how fast he reacts.

Characters that give me trouble:

Dictator
Ken
Zangief (if he goes Jump forward fierce)

I’ve noticed that Sagat is a lot easier matchup than I thought it would be. Cammy is well equipped for dealing with him.

Bison fucks me up. He can get life lead and run and there isn’t anything Cammy can do.

Hey all, this is my first post on SRK.net, even though I do read a lot of threads here, but I’ve decided that now that SFIIHDR is here and SF4 is just around the corner it is about time for me to start posting and becoming apart of the street figher community.

I decided to give Cammy a shot, since her SSF2T game wasn’t very good, to test out the balancing that Backbone has done with the game. I have to say that Cammy has now become my main because I love her playstyle and she seems to be able to adapt to situations quite well. Her jabs make for really good poking and it is very easy to chain/link a lot of her moves. She seems to be quite balanced now and seems viable in most games. As for Honda match-ups, they do provide some challenge but it requires a lot of thrust kicks to hit him out of his d>u charge. It seems like your best move against Honda is to poke until he starts a d>u charge then thrust kick to hit him out of it, rinse, repeat formula. That’s just my observation, the guy I was playing probably sucked.

Guile seems to cause the most of my problems. Best bet is to stay back, and when he shoots a sonic boom do a hooligan combination to go over it and kick him down low. Or, if you are close enough, Spin Knuckle works well to get around those sonic booms. My biggest problem is his ability to sit back and chill while still having the ability to flash kick really far forward giving me no ability to gain ground unless he throws sonic booms.

Keep in mind, I’m probably no expert, so if there’s anything I am missing please feel free to tell me. :wink:

ya hooligan goes over sonic boom very well

the only guile i really LOST like lost badly too rushed me down haha

don’t quote me on this as it may have been a weird online thing and you might want to test yourself, but I could have swore qcb+P jumped through blanka’s ball.

huh. I really need to see some of your guys’ matches against Guile. I just finished another 3 hours session with a friend that plays an above average Guile and it was giving me problems. I won the majority, but it seems like such an uphill battle every match.

Running away from Honda is hilarious though. They get very angry. haha.

Cammy’s canon spike does beat out Honda’s headbutt. I was pleasantly surprised tonight. This match up became a whole lot more playable.

Against Guile I have trouble with as well, he’s pretty fucking good in HD remix.

Cammy probably terrorizes my co-workers more than any of my other characters, and I think anybody who thinks she’s the worst character in the game doesn’t know what they’re doing with her yet, frankly.

General stuff…

Against anybody, st. fierce, cr. forward, standing or crouching jab, and jumping strong are her best pokes. Jumping strong isn’t as good as ST Cammy’s but it’s still pretty good. Doesn’t hit slides any more though. Her super is one of the better chip-to-death finishers in the game if you knock someone down with just a little bit of life left. I need to practice up on my meaty cr. forward/st. fierce/cannon drill, but just meaty st. fierce/cannon drill is so wicked and easy to do that I don’t worry about it too badly. Fierce/fierce/rh cannon drill does like 55% damage to standard characters when she dizzies someone, which is more often than one would think. She’s generally a mixup and mind game character, which can get people into a panic pretty quickly once you get going.

Against Blanka ball, her standing jabs are pretty simple and stop it pretty effectively. If Blanka starts to stare at you, just start spamming them for a moment. j. strong and j. jab also beats Blanka ball, to a point that Blankas at work don’t try to do it on me on wakeup any more.

Against Honda… j. strong beats headbutt, and if they try the butt splash it’s not that hard to air throw him out of it with the same button press, although it still gets some oos and ahhs around the office when I do it. Short cannon drill is good, although you have to be a little careful about it because if you won’t reach them then he can whack you. Jabs don’t work on his headbutt from the ground, but cannon spike does. From longer ranges you can jump backwards and combo him on his recovery if he fierce headbutts on you. But yeah, don’t get behind because this match is hard to come back on, so watch your risks and mistakes.

Against Guile… get in close on him and get merciless and mix it up. If he whiffs a flash kick, st. fierce/cannon drill. If he sonic booms from far enough away, jab backfist through it and attack a little more, if he’s closer in jump over it at him as soon as it’s released or hooligan if you can predict it right, but be careful about the hooligan. Cr. jab stops most of his pokes, and judicious but somewhat relentless cannon drills generally make them nervous, but don’t get too predictable because he can flash kick them all. Throw games and pokes into quick hooligan throws and other mixups are big here, you have to make him nervous instead of getting jittery yourself to win. Almost all of this matchup is between the ears.

By and large, I’ve found Cammy to be very effective in zoning people off and adapting to just about anything. I honestly don’t know if there’s any matchups that she truly gets blown out in and can’t adapt to, and I think Cammy v. THawk in particular is probably at least 8.5-1.5 in her favor. If there’s a blowout that she can’t adapt to, I guess we’ll find out more as time goes on, but I haven’t really found it yet.

As far as hitting blanka out of ball, I’ve used MK in ST before, as well as rapid-fire jabs, and I’m guessing HP would work too.

Having only just remembered there’s a hitbox view, I’m going to check that HK flashkick thing, how far it ACTUALLY hits, for myself. It might just be that I’m trying to jump straight up at mid-range to actually get in, and I get flashkicked for free.