Can someone please explain to me what the neutral game is in fighting games?

Hello!

I need help with understanding what it means to " play neutral " in a fighting game!

I know that it is not the defintion of the neutral position of the joystick in the middle of it’s base on an arcade cabinet or console joystick!

It has something to do with fighting game strategy…but i am not exactly sure how to explain it!

If someone could , please post here and help me understanding how to play neutral in fighting games!

Have a good time!

You have two characters both standing, a bit apart from each other. Ostensibly neutral with no one player having an undue advantage. The neutral game refers to the jockeying for position, use of raw control and threat of damage to force the opponent into playing a certain way and so on. It’s the dance that gets danced from that position, and the bluffs.

2 Likes

Thanks for the post Komatik!

I am going to try to find some examples of characters being played in the neutral game!

Have a good time!

It basically means spacing/space control.

Neutral is a relatively new term, at least when it comes to the history of fighting games.

A rather stupid term, imo.

The way its used is very generalized and dumbed down. For example, saying a character has good/bad neutral is already a contradiction. Especially when labeling characters with heavy emphasis on projectile keepaway and long range pokes.

Besides two characters being truly neutral rarely happens. Factor in the reach/tool set of each character, health deficits, time and how difficult different characters have to deal with certain distance and situations, there can rarely be a true neutral.

1 Like

Thanks for the help everybody!

I greatly appreciate it!

Try to have fun!