Can BBCP revive BB in the FGC?

Compare SRK activity for a remotely “living” game to Dustloop and the scene still looks dead, sorry.

dustloop is like tekkenzaibatsu mofo are way to serious that after you scan some info you jet the fuck out… then you see the dustloop mofoz in stream wearing zelda tights and mario hats and finalfantasy leapoard speedos and homies tuck that shit away and pretend they never even heard of blazeblue,

I buy um for fun, but its hard to find people online playing, sometimes i can find a room and play some noel and do some wack combos, i buy it for the weird anime story, its like a homoerotic Japanese matrix fucked rainbow bright shizzz

Why should we care about “reviving” BlazBlue in today’s so-called “FGC” anyway?

Not even pretending to troll, I’m asking a totally serious question.

Because it’s nice to have more people to play with, and have the work you put in recognized by others. The other reason is because we want the overall level of play in North America to improve. Unlike Street Fighter, KoF, etc., the North American anime FGC is nowhere close to being competitive with the Japanese, and it’s because of the smaller playerbase.

I’ve played SF, MVC, KOF, and a bit of Calamity Trigger. What’s different about P4A and BBCP than Calamity Trigger? Not asking for character changes, but what makes the game actually different.

Bringing in new players and increasing the player base is all well and good, but are you sure we should be looking towards converting the “sheeple” who don’t care for BlazBlue at all and dismiss it as “animu fighter garbage”? Maybe BB community should do its own thing, build itself up first rather than try to appeal to the Capcom-centric FGC sheeple

Most of the people who complain about BlazBlue haven’t even played it, so yeah, I’d like to convert them.

BBCP’s mechanics have been overhauled from Continuum Shift, which were overhauled from Calamity Trigger. Guard Libra is long gone; in fact any guard bar at all no longer exists. If you’re one of those people that hate meters for whatever reason, that’s one less you need to pay attention to. Guard Crushes are instead performed with Crush Triggers, new moves that can be performed with 5A+B if you have 25% Heat and instantly Guard Crush as long as you’re not Barrier Blocking. Blocking one takes a chunk of Barrier Gauge away anyway. This helps make the Barrier an actually important resource to manage.

Defensive Bursts function nearly identically to GG-style Bursts. They’re now gained with the usual regenerating meter and don’t permanently drain your Barrier Gauge for the rest of the round, or do anything else to otherwise halt your normal defensive capabilities. Offensive Bursts have been replaced completely in favor of Overdrive, a power-up state that increases the power of some of your supers, makes your combo unburstable, and grants an additional bonus that’s specific to your character (e.g. all of Jin’s sword attacks freeze the opponent, Nu’s D attacks fire two swords instead of one and she can use her full moveset). Overdrive lasts longer depending on how low your health is, but it’s important to not that THIS IS NOT X-FACTOR. For most characters, a raw Overdrive can last a minimum of 3 seconds and a maximum of 10. Cancelling into Overdrive during a combo cuts that time in half. No one gets a pure damage boost from OD either, so killing a full-health or near full-health character with Overdrive is something of a rarity that requires very specific conditions. It is not a win button; you have to be smart about using it. Think of it more like Dark Force from Darkstalkers.

Hitstop has been cut in half compared to previous installments, meaning that combos go by faster for everyone. CT’s combo system of using a realtime timer to cap the length of combos has been gone since CS (so stuff like this doesn’t happen).

Those are the general system mechanics changes. There are of course the new characters, and the new moves and move adjustments that existing characters get with the new installment that radically change how many of them play. If you want to see some BBCP matches in action, I suggest going to Jourdal’s, GameChariot’s, or a-cho’s Youtube channels. I hope you try out the new installment when it drops.

Well, P4A is a whoooole different ball of wax; Different button functions, different system mechanics, etc. I mean, here’s the info on what things DO in P4A. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The list of differences here would be so massive as to be unwieldy. You’d better off asking “what’s similar between P4A and CT” and the answer is “both games allow airdashes, air blocking and double jumps, and feature cancel based combo systems” :stuck_out_tongue:

BBCP vs CT? Uh, still quite a lot. First, the idiotic guard break system in CT has been killed (actually, it got killed a long time ago); There are now certain moves only that can guard break, and only if they are not barrier blocked. Generally those moves cost heat (though there are exceptions, like Platinum’s hammer.). Next, the burst system has completely changed. Not only does it no longer destroy your ability to use barrier like it did in CT, but it’s now a regenerating meter that is also shared with the all new Overdrive function (a ‘boost mode’ that prevents your opponent from bursting and boosts your offensive capabilities in character specific ways). Additionally, hitstop has been reduced. Astral heat criteria have changed. Pushback on barrier has increased. Most moves now require barrier to be blocked in the air. Plus, you know, the roster has increased by like 125%. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the responses guys. Terumi has me really wanting to pick up the game and I was curious about the system changes. If the entire BB community is similar to you guys you’ll “convert” other FG players just fine :tup:

Yeah, I used to be pretty active on dustloop when my character board was allowed to have “general discussion” threads. Since then all those threads have been deleted, pretty much wiping out my entire post history, and disallowed. The moderators are really aggressive when it comes to board management there. Threads and posts are actively deleted, each character board follows a specific template for threads, off-topic posts aren’t allowed. About the only thing you can post is on-topic content such as matchup info, new combos, new videos.

Now that dustloop has a wiki, I’m not sure why they continue to insist on running their message boards like a wiki page. Granted it is a great resource since most everything is on-topic, but it makes for a terrible community.

I’ve noticed this. In the past a lot of capcom players bitched about the combos in airdashers, but now they play MvC; a game with no burst, 100+ hit combos, and where a well placed X-factor can wipe out 2/3rds of a team… IMO, BB is one of the better anime fighters in terms of being “fair” (no infinites, somewhat balanced cast) and one of the more unique games when it comes to varying character playstyles. As much as I like the game, though, the cast is unbelievably cliche. Regardless of how good a game it is I think that’ll continue to make it a tough sell. Xrd will probably have much better luck converting players.

On one hand, I kindof agree with you - I’m not sure why having one general thread per character forum was a problem. OTOH, it keeps the forums there from being a horrible train wreck like the forums here. Christ. I thought about trying to learn Yang in AE2012, and the character forum here is an utter, useless mess. Half of the info is actually for AE, not 2012, none of it is organized, good luck finding anything, and even if you do find it, you have a 50% chance of being for the wrong version of the game (though good luck telling whether it is or not.).

So honestly? Dustloop is closer to doing it right. This isn’t a social event. This is people trying to get better at fighting games. People are generally friendly and way more willing than folks here to provide useful information as long as it relates to that. They don’t need a big dumping ground of people talking about character’s bust sizes or what they had for dinner last night.

I absolutely agree with most of this, but no game that contains Arakune can ever really be considered “fair” :stuck_out_tongue: My god, that character. (Aside: He looks WAY less stupid in CP. Huzzah!)

Eh. I don’t know. Or rather, I don’t agree. Yes, fine, Ragna and Jin are pretty cliche, and I guess Arakune is… well, an archetypical look, but really? Who’s cliche in BB? The huge man with magnetic gloves and a reactor in his chest? The ‘catgirl’ with no face? The vampire who fights with a transforming cat umbrella and controls the wind? Basically, I think the characters could “look” cliche at first glance, but a moment’s thought (which is more than many people give them) tends to reveal that there is something wildly nonstandard about most of them. (Except Ragna and Jin.)

You know what game has cliche characters? Marvel. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a shame that this game doesn’t have a large role in the fighting game community. From what I have experienced, this is a very class community for the most part. And BlazBlue in my opinion is the best fighting game out there. It is the whole package, lovable characters, great music, a story, and the graphic style is certainly what I like.

I was going to post up an entire lecture about the FGC and this game, but I will do what is probably my first TL;DR and just say that as long as the FGC is more interested in individual “communities” than actual quality games, BlazBlue (and several other titles) will never really be a part of the fighting game discussion as a whole. There are bad actors on both sides of this story, and it’s just unfortunate because the FGC is going through a failed transition phase and has much bigger issues to worry about at the moment, anyway.

Just play what you like and foster a local scene. Remember: if you build it, they will come.

i been waiting for kokonoe since ct…and im hoping this is the end of the series for a minute since arc is working on GG, so by the time i finish the story mode they wont be releasinga new disc or like cs after i bought the dlc chars released extend…but mostly been waiting for kokonoe n jubei, finally got kokonoe coming, i knew they were gonna dlc her ,to easy money ,we been screaming forever ,unless im wrong an she is on disc…Arggg so many dudes rocking import ,scrubs like me waiting for states release are gonna get smashed on US release

It’s not the end, and F- Kokonoe. Thanks. :stuck_out_tongue: Also, why did you post this in this thread?

because like my lame story above , they kept pumping out games to fast… right when people were starting to pick up ct even tho it was around for awhile…6 months later they dropped cs and then cs extend …people were just starting to rock ct…If this is the last one for while and only patchs and no Cp extend disc 6 months ,a year later. it might get more life back in it if they let it breath

This game is literally going to be all but wiped off the face of the competitive tourney circuit one Xrd releases. Xrd was the only anime fighter that gained any real stronghold in the FGC and it’ll pretty much stay that way. I remember all of the butthurt when the new Blazblue came out and even the GG players just never accepted it as well as they did GG.

I see this game pretty much staying big only in Japan once Xrd hits.

I been waiting for her since ct…If she is over powered as yall say, one thing i learned is she will be patched and made into the lowest tier asap by arc…They always seem to nerf hard as fuck from s tier to shit tier. ill rock shit tier kokonoe

That depends on whether the hardcore GG people LIKE Xrd. Yeah yeah, they’re all treating it like the second coming, but what happens when it turns out to be the “SF4” compared to +R’s “Third Strike”? I think a lot of people are going to be “butthurt” as you put it, because let’s face it, you CAN’T release an expensive game that is designed like the old GG games were, and expect anyone to play it these days. Games are a LOT more expensive to make now, and this ‘haha, 1 frame grabs, and super good oki’ stuff isn’t likely to fly with the numbers of people Xrd is going to need to be successful.

Also, as a diehard BB player, I hope Xrd is terrible. :stuck_out_tongue: And anyway, the fact is that GG isn’t big enough to ‘make it’ on its own either, these days. It’ll need to pull people in, and it’s probably not going to.

Also, Monster, no one was ‘starting to rock CT’ when CS came out; CT was AWFUL and deserved to be obsolesced ASAP. :stuck_out_tongue: Also, a little bit of research will show you that there was a YEAR between CT console and CS console. Of course, you’re going to say “Yeah, but CS ARCADE was out earlier” and to that I say, “Yeah? And everyone dropped CT and picked up their local arcade cabinet?” :stuck_out_tongue: But mostly, CT was awful. Sorry. It was.