cactus planet

Loving this thread. All the info is pretty on point and explained very well. Just don’t understand your point here. What about Charlie-aa w/ qcf+PP as you said you used. Probably just forgot about it. Also, Cyc-aa w/ qcf+KK. Mando/Cable/Sonson/Akuma/Hayato/Captain America/Spidey/Morrigan/Cammy have been tested and work if you cover properly with Tron-y for the most of them as you DHC. Of course, the majority of these involve making contact w/ your opponent–given Tron-y–and you probably wouldn’t want to suffer the pushblock into punish.

Also, I think Amingo benefits more with AC into FS (if not into x-up) rather than using his qcf+P, imho.

edit: Also, good stuff on noting how to take proper advantage of Amingo-B on your 1st page Shoultzula. 07’ was hot for SRK Amingo.

edit2: Good shit to Beatsofdevil for noting that Zangief-a trick. Only thing is, if their character can truly duck Zangief, I see an assist punishing him. If they pushblock (which is a trick in itself given some characters would have to stand to do so and thus leave themselves open to dash up c.lk), then Zangief is left wide open mid-screen and Amingo’s best option would be to sj uf to the rear…well, that or smart DHC or dash up snap given the situation. Deathfist, xxphilopiaxx you guys are all over the cacti in this thread =) Well done peeps, along with some other useful info from the other threads. I have just graduated from Amingo Amigo University. Moving on w/ the next part of my project on another day.

Randomly thought up Amingo teams…:

Amingo, Sonson/Capcom, Sentinel-y
-DHCing in Capcom’s sword is always stable for the HSF in this situation. You’re dead.

Amingo, Storm, Jin/Capcom/Ken/Sonson
-I was picking AA characters that have vertical supers so that they all combo when DHCing…].

Amingo, Hulk, Jin/Capcom/Megaman
-I got 18 or 19 wins in a row once with Amingo Hulk Jin, and Amingo Hulk Megaman. One was 19, the other was 18.

Amingo, Storm-a, Jin
-Dashballs with Storm-a, Storm-a in the middle of your ground chains to allow the dashball to vine super to work properly. When you DHC to Storm, then Jin, that’s devastating. You can substitute Jin for Cyclops to have a better character. Jin’s a better assist, but if you’re fighting a Doom assist, it’s useless and you’ll need Cyclops. You get a frame cancel with Amingo first in any order. If you Blodia punch, you can otg them into a second one if they don’t mash to get up faster.

Amingo, Doom.
-This is essentially the same as Amingo-Storm, but you lose the fast cancel Hail, and gain block damage in droves. My recommendations for the Middle character are Jin, Venom, Cyclops, Cable, and Sentinel.

This one’s brutal…
Amingo-y, Ironman-b, Sentinel-y.
The concept is similar to Team Combofiend 1.0 [Magneto, Ironman, Sentinel…]
Amingo has 2 instant start-up supers. If you get hit by anything near the ground and he has meter, that’s it. You’re dead [;frame cancel / framekill anyone?]. Between tiger knee cross-ups via dashballs [leaving Ironman or Sentinel behind you, and any hit leading to a super, you’re done. After the level 4-5 DHC, Ironman gets tagged back in to infinite the rest of your team to death. To make matters more brutal. With Ironman on point if you get hit by Amingo’s dashball, you’re eating a proton cannon, and if Sentinel is second, you’re eating that as well. You can also bait the AHVB by sticking out limbs, and when he tries to shoot you, you can vertical super and DHC in Ironman.

1. Decide how you intend to do damage
    -Is it a clean hit? What about a DHC? Are you content to deal chip damage?
  2. Decide how you will accomplish this intention
    -Via mix-ups, pure pinning strategies, etc…
  3. Engineer the team.
    -Understand that Amingo is probably going to require the most work to cover his vulnerabilities.

A word for those fighting against Amingo that I want Amingo players to eavesdrop in on:

P.S. Whatever you do when fighting Amingo, Don’t jump on Amingo in any of these teams [Amingo-Doom is a possible exception, but even then depending on the third character, no.]. A smart Amingo player will let you get away with it all day to reinforce your bad habit, then vertical super you [at the last second point blank] to maximize damage. From there he’ll DHC into something that would be safe if it is blocked, and potentially fatal if it hits.

It won’t be guesswork either. He’ll be studying your character’s effective combo depth, waiting till you’re there, and then vineblading your legs as he either hears you touch the buttons or sees your character’s attack animation start. His vertical super is so fast, that as long you as Amingo are holding down, you can see the startup of most Jump ins [and punish it at will…,].

Unless they are via triangle jump you’ll be able to react with the vertical super on reflex. He also goes flat as he starts increasing the chance of your jump in NOT hitting Amingo. Nearly all these teams I mentioned here have this in some way embedded in it. Unless I told you this now that this is how I am doing it you’d NEVER figure it out. Especially since it happens a MAXIMUM of twice a round [wow, 2 dead characters LOL].

I’ll try to cover Doom later if I remember.

^^^

good ish. really fun read. I’ma mess with the hallucinogenic cactus-man

also that is some smart stuff there. Simple, but important jumpoff point for building low tier monster squads.

I’d add something like—

1. What will you use for an AA? Does your point provide one solo or in conjunction with another assist or are you relying on an assist? Does that assist also function to maximize overall chemistry?

Amingo can tick his s.:lk: into a throw just as Magneto does with his s.:lp:. Very short hit stun and quick recovery move. Mix-up/assist opportunity on descent.

edit: j.:hp: would be disgusting if it had a true u, uf, f, df, d arc of a hitbox. It only appears to be df though…

True. I did forget that part although if you look at the teams I mentioned nearly all of them have an AA of some sort. I’d just call an assist that would obstruct theirs while they jump in that leaves the jumping character untouched and vineblade at the last second. If you call anti air assists too much they’ll start air blocking and counter-assisting all day. That’s the last thing I want. I almost WANT them to attack me from the air. 100 times a match if possible. Jump ins are usually predictable [except triangle jumps that is…;] and readable. At some point they lose their character to a seemingly random Vine super [on reflex]. While they’re busy chalking it up to luck [and thus falling for it over and over again…,], the reality is far more sinister. They’ve been had.

Capcom does wonders for Amingo because he can’t chase down characters that are too high in the air. Better yet, the flyback from Capcom is not instant. You land a hit, you combo with a different assist that keeps them standing so that you can dashballXXVine and it combos properly, DHC in Captain sword, DHC in most any decent character and the victim will usually instantly die. Blackheart can be used this way, so can Capcom [the flyback effect of a Capcom hit isn’t instant. that stun can be used to do this kind of thing…,] so can Storm and Cyclops. Sonson might be able to as well.

Properties of Amingo’s standing hk?
-It’s a knockback just like Magneto’s standing hp. Hey, wait a minute…
-hk[hit confirm], Vineblade [whiffed], fast DHC HSF or Ironman, or Hail. Keep this in mind. Especially for Amingo-fiend.

Okay…
=Amingo, [Ironman-(b/a)/Gambit/Morrigan]<-- 2 of these…
-Untested, but follows the theory of DHCing for Amingo. All 3 of these guys supers can be made to work in some way with him.

-All 3 guys above have a super that hits the second the screen turns blue. Frame cancels are available in mass.
=Ironman, it’s vine to proton cannon, and you have frame cancels.
if they get hit by Amingo’s assist, that’s a free proton cannon. Jab unibeam is unpunishable [except by alpha-counterXXAHVB, you can’t AHVB it]if it’s blocked and can be used to cover your assists.
=Gambit, same thing. The Royal Flush, into Morrigan’s super off the vine. If Amingo is in the middle, just DHC past him and it should work. The projectile assist can possibly help the dashball to vine work properly. If they get hit by the dashball assist, you MIGHT be able to get a Royal Flush.
=Morrigan, you can do the same thing most likely. Vine to drop in the path of her beam super. If you don’t want to whiff supers to get your DHCs to work, or if Amingo is getting in the way, tag him back in, and fight till he dies, can DHC someone to death, or keep using him as an assist till he either dies from a bad call, or wins the entire match himself. If your team order is screwed, chances are is it’s because Amingo just DHC’d someone for really big damage. I’m not sure if Morrigan can beam super you if you get hit by the Amingo assist.

I’m not going to start a new thread since this one is already a comfy Amingo spot, but some basic Amingo starters for new players:

Notable Normals:

s.:hp: - good range, force a sj or jump in or etc.
s.:hk: - beat or trade with a jump in
j.:hk: - overhead mix-up…can hit more than once or just once to confuse how long an opponent should block standing before shifting to blocking low…try and follow up with c.lk or s.lp if you manage a hit as it offers little stun
c.:hk: - another useful poke that goes nearly 3/4 screen, force a jump-in, stuff assists, etc.
sj.lp - what you will be using air to air mostly if at all

Air to air on sj: Amingo does not have too much to rely on during sj if you are above or even in front of him…he can use qcf+:p: to try and hit you, but if you are above him, he has to just wait it out…if you have no air stall move, he can qcf+:lp: to hang longer than you and gain air advantage by falling with sj.:hk:

Air to air on nj: With no cover, he will mostly be using j.lp to anticipate jumps

Kaze no Sakebi H qcf + P (air)
-can only perform once in the air on sj
-can tiger knee to go through opponent or get in quick overhead or not
-basic forward propulsion given proper cover…dumb move to use in a 1v1 given it’s slow recovery
-used to form both of his corner infinites
-good in retreating from a sjing opponent if they try and land on you or near you…be sure to plant appropriate assist behind you if you can to even employ some cross-up opportunities

Midori no Kanki H qcb + P
-mostly used as a cross-up tool (mentioned later)

Daichi no Kodomo (Tsukami) h qcb + K
-his most favorable cacti drop as it is unblockable
-can be used to cancel his long-reaching normals for successive pokes
-can be dropped behind him to give him something to leave for you to worry about as he sjs over you
-allows for some tricky unblockable set-ups…experiment and see what you like
-can only have 2 on-screen at a time

Daichi no Kodomo (Punch) h qcf + LK
-the other one
-marvel is mostly too fast for these to be a big threat anyway, so why not focus on dropping the grab unblockable ones when you do

Daichi no Kodomo (Kick) h qcf + HK
-the other one
-yeah…

Taiyou no Megumi qcf + KK
-good anti-air
-good frame-kill for a quick dhc
-it’s been said that he has slight invinciblity on it’s start up as he is just not there (so try this vs the first set of HSF drones into DHC or whatever else applicable)

Shokubutsu no Okite qcb + PP
-mentioned as being used in some unblockable set-ups…work on it and see if you can get anything useful from it in-play
-the flower can’t be destroyed (so it bails through Tron’s servbot’s when she does her THC alone…who knows what else…apply as needed)

Assists, Variable Counters, And THCs

a: Life Up Fruit HP Midori no Kanki Taiyou no Megumi
-assist is not as useful given MvC2’s fast pace
-decent variable counter vs jump-ins but no real follow up
-THC is same for all
-you can recall on hit

B: Defence Up Fruit HP Kaze no Sakebi Taiyou no Megumi
-ups your character’s defense by 50%…very nice
-decent variable counter as he can cancel into his qcb+PP or qcf+KK as anti-air
-you can recall on hit

y: HP Kaze no Sakebi HP Midori no Kanki Taiyou no Megumi
-poor chip
-you can link before knockdown or OTG on hit
-forward attack
-makes no sense why the variable counter isn’t the same…

Ground Throws: When close, b / f + HP
-doesn’t allow for much of a throw mix-up being his only one
-when you do get it, you get ground advantage since they have to land

Mid-Air Throws: When close, any dir. but d / u + HP in air
-very easy tech, but recreates same situation as ground version
-won’t see much of this

Knockdown Attack: Crouching HK
-hits front and back, so it is a good option when you employ a cross-up and are not sure of which side you will land on

Variable Attack: Jumping HK
-if it was multi-hitting like it’s jumping equivalent, this would be beast

Snapback Attack: Standing HP
-nasty range, but experiment with actually performing a double snap into assist kill off of it…you need a pre-occupying assist (e.g., Doom-B, Blackheart-B, Cable-B, etc.)
-slow recovery

Amingo on launch:

Amingo can pursue you for the AC into FS into advantage or he can:

after connecting with a launch:

1. qcf+:lp: while dropping an appropriate assist behind them
  2. qcb+:lp: forces them to block the opposite direction as they fall on it…if blocked correctly, usually a free throw…if not, you can link if you pick an appropriate assist that juggles off of it
  3. sj. xx qcf+:lp: into overhead on the opposite direction or whiff overhead into relaunch
  4. sj.:lp: xx qcf+:lp: the ball special whiffs and crosses up at a decent speed and lets you fall with sj.lk, sj.mk to combo into whatever…let’s you drop something behind them as you launch for the reset on landing

Amingo after FS:

if you cause FS w/…

sj. anything into sj.:hp: Amingo will dash up where you can
-overhead with j.:lk:
-cross up with qcb+:hp: leaving a trailing assist
-tick throw

uf sj.:lk:, sj.:mk:, sj.:hk: Amingo will fall onto you where he can
-qcf+:lp: and drift to whichever side he wants to hit you on
-fall whiffing sj.:hp: and hit you low or throw
-fall with sj.:hk: and make you block wrong and repeat

1 guardbreak to start off until you explore other options: j.:lp: xx qcf+:p:
if you drop certain assists as you j.:lp:, you can juggle afterwards

hit with s.:hk: and then cancel to qcf+:hp: and you will cross-up…try leaving an assist behind you to juggle off of

Basic Amingo :tup:

cred to Kao Megura for the movelist

Some well-balanced Amingo teams I played tonight:

Amingo-B/Storm-a/Psylocke-a
the trick to DHC from Storm back to Amingo after doing Storm’s lighting storm is to use Psy’s qcf+:2p: just to make it so that Amingo does his qcf+:2k: super right under the falling opponent.

Amingo-B/CptCommando-B/BBHood-a

Amingo-B/Cammy-a/Thanos-a

edit: just adding…

Amingo-B/Chun Li-B (aa?)/Doom-B
Amingo-B/Cyc-B/Doom-B
Amingo-B/War Machine-a (proj?)/Psy-a

for AA, amingo’s s.rh is very good priority. Thnx to mr. ed who’s a FL low tier player for telling me that years ago. It has awesome priority and it can plop them into tron. Great thing is that its still cancelable so you can do AA s.rh+tron, cancel homie.

Also his leaping flower move, hcb+p?, is good AA and slaps them into tron.

cactus\charlie ron
cactus\cammy ron
cactus\sonson ron

cactus\sonson isn’t that bad of duo. Sonson can do s.lp+amingo enhance\heal type, s.lk, s.fp, s.rh, wall run, grab the enhance\heal type, then either cancel monkey’s off the wall then ADF, run up the wall and wall kick off it or simply fall off it. Pretty good but no safe dhc’s on block.

Some good Amingo duos based on s.hp xx DHC frame-kill alone:

Amingo/xx/3rd

xx:

Felicia
Captain Commando
Wolvy
Anakaris
War Machine/Iron Man
Cyclops
BBHood???
Ryu
Sabretooth
Gambit
Cable
Ruby
Akuma
Charlie
Blackheart
Jin
Anakaris
Hayato
Captain America
Spiderman
Juggernaut
Venom
Doom
Morrigan
Bison
Cammy
Strider
Rogue
Sentinel
Thanos
Storm
Chun Li

edit: another incentive to drop grab cacti whenever possible would be to allow you to do cross-ups if you were to ever get knocked down. when Amingo safe rolls, he will put the cacti behind the opponent and they will still be heading in their direction. it sort of works like Jill’s zombies, but this one you have to already have on screen and you have to be the one rolling lol

Amingo/xx/Tron-y is crack. I’m going to need you to stop mentioning that duo Shoultzula. Thanks :tup:

I played Amingo-B/Ryu-a/Tron-y today and it was too much fun!

my favorite team is amingo/sonson/ruby Because with amingo do not need assists
and ruby-sonson is a good Strategy

anybody who can jump + Tron is a pretty good duo :lovin:

amingo ron pretty much needs an AA that can get in clean, and doesn’t need the advantage of an AAA. So characters like charlie, sonson, morrigan, cammy, cyke are pretty much going to be the best version of amingo ron. Not only do the dhc’s work but said characters are very good with tron.

amingo as an assist isn’t exactly the best thing ever. He’s really hard to use effectively but mixup runs stuff like aming\colossus ron or amingo\sent ron both gaining defense up.

Think about it, amingo giving defense up to colossus ron once colossus has mega armor? he’s going to do some damage. Then sent\amingo can gain defense up with proper spit checks, fly cancel. Both with defense up aren’t going anywhere.

amingo\sent\cap is more of a sent team but if you can maintain that defense up, regularly w\o giving up positioning, its very hard to stop sentinel. Its basically sentinel powered the fuck up.

D-Up collosus, thats some smart shit

Reading all this is making me want to start using this Cactuar wannabe…seriously…

Dependent upon who he is up against, I agree with Shoultzula that Amingo does not need an aaa just because he has a decent aa normal and he is not slow as fuck like, say, Thanos (not hating, as I play big T, but just spitting truth). The thing is, as I am sure everyone knows, is that each team has a limitation…as well as strengths. Nowadays though, aaa pretty much come with the territory.

There are certain teams where Amingo will be able to get them to the corner easy with simple stuff like dash up into s.:hp: + horizontal or some sort of assist with forward holding power for zoning, cacti cancel, dash up jump in blockstring into s.:hp: repeat, inserting a qcf+:p: when necessary to cover a gap before assist connects. Then there are certain teams where Amingo’s s.:hp: and mostly all other attacks make him a liability. His range is good, but as Shoultzula mentioned and it’s pretty obvious to see once you start playing with him, his s.:hp: contains some of his character sprites where he will either beat, trade, or lose to stuff. On the other hand c.:hp: is not like that at all. This is a good idea when fighting teams that use invincible aas.

I recently ran teams like:

Amingo-B/Akuma-aa/Doom-B
Amingo-B/WarMachine-a/Colossus-aa (where I would usually play it as Colossus/Amingo/WM)

The key is to realize that Amingo has good mid-screen range and he is easy to be mobile with, but his range can be a liability when someone is playing a keepaway or trying to punish your pokes rather than trying to get in.

I also like Amingo/Colossus/Tron, but I realize that it is one of those teams that is mostly an in-your-face team…I wish Colossus’ aa had invincible start-up (nevertheless, WM loves that inf set-up). I find that one of the easiest ways to get your d-Up with Colossus is to just s.:lp: repeats to stall or after a hit connect into KD. It all depends on what your opponent can dish out as far as punishment really. Try saving the 3rd slot for whoever your opponent picks if you are trying to help the Amingo/Tron duo out. Think on the characters they have and, plain and simple, counter-pick to make your chances stronger. There are some solid choices if you don’t want to take that route. This is what I usually do, being I don’t like blatantly counter-picking. If I lose to an obviously abusive strat though, no doubt. The 3rd slot (when I say this I actually mean the 2nd, but yea) will be a counter-pick that offers Amingo some horizontal zoning whether it be left-right or down-up or whatever other angle (e.g., Marrow-expansion I believe ub-df); a pretty effective frame kill; and a character that uses meter well. If they pair with Tron effectively or even strengthen her point game, the merrier. That’s Amingo/Tron, but it applies to any team that I play really. Blah Blah Blah Yea Yea

Amingo got dat grass flow.

edit: I recently started running Amingo/Anakaris-throw. Pretty much, if Amingo ever gets you to block a s.:hp: + Anakaris-throw, after he is done, you pretty much have to just duck and call assist. If Amingo ever connects with a s.:hp: he can just as well cancel into a cactus and let you recover from hitstun in time to get grabbed. Also, combo into s.:hk: + Anak-throw where, again, they can only duck or call assist. If their assist is anyone like Mando-aa where it doesn’t cover just above them, then Amingo gets a close attempt to overhead with a j.:lk: into whatever if they don’t react fast enough to avoid the grab and avoid eating j.:lk:. If you try to dash back, dash forward, jump, super jump, blah blah Anakaris grabs you, does his jingle, and slams you into Amingo’s vine super. This set-up is free 50-60% health given 1 bar. Pretty neat as the distance required of this set-up pretty much leaves both Amingo and Anak fairly safe to counter-call. This safety makes it ok to have Anakaris 2nd with some sort of viable aa 3rd or so. Anak offers a decent framekill for Amingo with his b,f+:2p: super. Not too shabby when played well.

Remember what I said earlier about Amingo and his vine super vs jump ins? Remember the part about the Vineblade [Taiyou no Megumi qcf + KK] not being good against triangle jumpers?

This is more horrifying than I thought. I have to recant the triangle jump part. Vineblade [Taiyou no Megumi qcf + KK] can also be used to fry triangle jumps as well.

The last time I used Amingo [chosen completely by accident late last month], this is exactly what happened. A Magneto player super or normal jumped point-blank to me, so I fired the super and dammed near killed him when I DHC’d in Sentinel.

That’s too fucking funny.

? With you? What do you mean, b/c, obviously, Amingo doesn’t have air supers…You must mean he Nj or sj towards you and got hit with the vine super and then ate your DHC to Sent’s HSF. If he sj’ed, he must have AD/D or DF with :hp: or :hk: and then ate the vine super to get that much damage, b/c the very tip isn’t too excruciating. Good job on the timing of that specific DHC btw lol It can be tricky

Nah, if you read that again, what he meant is that Amingo needs an AAA, who when on point, doesn’t require an AAA of their own.

Haha, and Death is sayin he punished a tri-jump happy Mag with qcfKK.

Amingo/Anakaris? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.