Breathless... SUPER Abel Match Theory Thread

Also, please test out this new Falling Sky and see whether the first hit of CoD is safe. Thanks!

I got to play for a bit yesterday, cod still appears to be -3 on block =(.

ooh cant wait to get my copy, i plan to stick with abel too though i might have some fun testing every char in the game… cant wait to learn new matchups and all that

Should be getting the game today…

Anything specific you guys want tested?

Really? how did you get so lucky?

Just test out the differences in his normals, and st.lp to step kick, see if thats changed any.

I played Super tonight for the first time. Like everyone else, I was running through most of the cast checking out the changes, but I did play Abel a few more times than the rest.

The timings to his links are the same. I was hitting f+mk s.hp with ease

LP TT damage seems to be severely nerfed? This could just be the overall damage nerfs everyone seems to be getting

Breathless does damage. A LOT of damage. I didn’t fuck around with it too much though. I’ll leave the setups to the better players.

Falling Sky seems improved? I was grabbing a lot of stuff with it, including things that looked like they were vertically out of range

Sagat-Abel matchup is fucking AWESOME now. I was trading hits with Sagat in footsies, and I actually had the lead.

Maybe it’s my imagination, but the Gief matchup seemed easier because of falling sky/lariat. After Gief does a lariat, you can press a button and NOT get cleanly smacked.

Most of this is probably my imagination, but yeah… I definitely feel he’s been buffed. I’m really bad at figuring out this kind of stuff, but hopefully at least some of this info is accurate. :slight_smile:

So for those who have played super and used breathless. How is it fairing in some matchups?

Ill probabaly be playing it sometime this week.

Works like a treat, really easy to punish using it. If they jump you can hit them (Although I found out that T.Hawk can bait ultra and use his dive move in the air which is an armor breaker). So the only problem is armor breakers for it really.

Also I didn’t try the EX Armor trick. I’m not sure if it’s in anymore I’ll try it when I get time next (probably not tonight) Not that many people actually used it in matches :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: this is all false and result of horrible “testing”. Read quote for more.

It grabs Honda after guarding whatever headbutt.
It grabs Ken after he hits with HK tatsu.
It grabs Ryu after guarding his FB. Not only point blank. Not only uninterruptible c.MK x FB distance. Even from further apart.
Needless to say, it grabs whatever sweep on block. I won’t be surprised if it ends up grabbing most keepaway moves on block. Maybe even on hit lol…
Haven’t tried, but most probably we’ll be able to grab Guile’s sonic boom on reaction.
It’s like a delayable, cancellable full scren FAB with super armor. Straight out of mugen, lol.

It’s so good it’s unreal.

breathless ultra is just…just, i don’t even know how to put it.

is it even blockable?

I think the only way to beat it are to jump it or use something that hits multiple times and breaks the armor.

It’s not blockable T.Hawk definately beat it with his armor breaker so that / getting hit twice on the way in aren’t good for it.

Oh an a little for the matchup stuff, T.Hawks super isn’t grab immune so we can beat it with a TT the same as Gief, didn’t test the ultra.

So where do u guys think he will be in all the cast mid or high???

even tho I’m more than likely ditching Abel for a different char, these buffs are very interesting. I had figured his first ultra was too good to ever replace, but people seem pretty excited about U2…

So few posts back… you guys saying ryus ending block string with hadoken is punishable after you block it? If so… that is DISGUSTING

Edit: this is all false and result of horrible “testing”. Read quote for more.

So how about this list for DISGUSTING?
I can already se the patch cries!

Viper: LP & HP thunder knuckle
Dhalsim: HP
Honda: LP & EX headbut
Ryu: EX tatsu, hadoken close->mid range
Fei Long: HP, c.HP, Rekka
Sagat: HK, K tiger shot close->mid range, P tiger shot close
Ken: HK tatsu (HIT)
Rufus: c.HP (HIT)

Goodbye Soulless. With Breathless, everyone is Blanka now. :rofl:

I think Abel is gonna be top tier in SSF4. The buffs he got were ridiculous, honestly.

You can’t combo into breathless, right? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

I mean, based on people’s reactions so far, it’s good enough that it doesn’t matter. Just curious.

[media=youtube]jW392rsnFFM&feature=related[/media]

That’s my expression after reading that.

Ok so other that that, is his footsies better, wake up game and his anti airs? He has an op ultra i get that, but until he get his ultra bar filled up will his footsies anti airs, better wake up game etc make him a number one contender. I haven’t gotten a main now seeing how they turned Gouken sideways and rape him, my choice are between Abel, Makoto and Cammy and from the looks of it Cammy is getting some very good buffs from her nerfs. But From what i’m seeing Abel pretty much has one of if not the best ultras in SSF4 but can anyone elaborate on everything else in a little detail package about his buffs in his normals wake up game anti airs wake up pressure.

Thanks.