Boulder Punching 101 - Chris Redfield Thread The Director's cut

Since Kalyx has left the BSAA, Preppy appointed me as the new head of field ops for BSAA Europe. This will be the new thread for all info on Chris in MvC3!
Feel free to contribute, feedback is welcome as well!
If you would like to read about the old adventures in Raccoon City got to the old thread.

[media=youtube]R1t9ltS0xNE[/media]

[media=youtube]UOk0b2DPgFY&feature=player_embedded[/media]

[media=youtube]Vqlzdaevo-E[/media]

Frame data: http://shoryuken.com/f357/boulder-punching-101-chris-redfield-thread-directors-cut-256568/index22.html#post10324994

Colors/Costumes (PS3 based):

X - original
square - blue
? - blond hair, can’t remember the clothes
? - Safari (Zebra) alt. costume from RE5

Victory screen quote: “Compared to zombies and B.O.W.'s this is like a vacation.”

Movelist

Legend:

:atk: = any attack button
:atk::atk: = any 2 attack buttons
:l: = light attack
:m: = medium attack
:h: = hard attack
:s: = exchange/special
:a1: = Assist 1
:a2: = Assist 2
XFC = X-Factor Cancel

Command normals:

Stun Rod - forward + :h:

Flamethrower - back + :h: - a bit slow on startup but does multiple hits and very good chip damage

Gun shot - forward + :m: - similair to Wesker’s but OTG’s

Crouching Gunshot - :d: + :h:

Special moves:

Shotgun - :qcf: :l: - Close range use, can be done it the air

Machine Gun - :qcf: :m: - Long range fire, can be done it the air

Magnum - :qcf: :h: - Powerful single shot, can be done it the air, can otg from the air

Proximity Mine - :dp: :l: - Drops a mine in front of Chris, will explode if not tagged after a while

Grenade Toss - :dp: :m: - standard grenade throw

Incendiary Grenade - :dp: :h: - flame grenade explosion results in flames on the ground which can lock an opponent down and set them up for his projectiles or grenade hyper, sadly it’s a too short duration to combo into his lvl 3.

Hit the dirt - :d::d: :h: (you can move around and press :h: to shoot)

Boulder Punches - :qcb: :atk: - Auto-punch combo

Hypers:

Grenade Launcher - :qcf: :atk::atk: - Chris fires multiple grenades, he shoots his second shot upwards, this shoot will come down several seconds later, so if he gets knocked out of this move that grenade will still home in on the opponent.
Update: You can use Launcher after the Grenade Launcher is completed to continue your combo!

All or Nothing / Sweep Combo - :dp: :atk::atk: - A knife slash followed by a Stun Rod, Shotgun shot, submachine gun (low), Magnum and finally a Rocket Launcher shot

Linear Launcher (level 3) - :qcb: :atk::atk: - aim with the directionals and press attack to fire, you can fire up to 3 shots. It can [media=youtube]mTEopshO4tw&feature=player_embedded#t=1m55s"[/media] as well.
Hold :l: for the cursor to start close, :m: for midscreen, :h: for the opposite side of the screen, this will allow you to combo quicker (i.e. after a succesfull Magnum shot)
This move has invincibility on start-up and also with every shot fired.
To kill all rumors once and for all, this move IS blockable.

Assists:

A: Boulder Punches
B: Gunfire (Submachine gun)
Y: Proximity Mine

Contributors

Kanta-kun - For additional colors
IKARI263 - Combo’s & vids
Carpark for massive combolist!
KingHippo42 for framedata

Strategy/Team Synergy:

Overall Chris has good projectiles but a bit lacking in defense, especially anti-air.
If you plan to use him on point he benefits greatly from Ryu and Morrigan’s Dragon Punch assists.

[media=youtube]X9BGk7h4pps#t=1m41s[/media]
If this is a valid tactic to sacrifice 4 meters remains to be seen.

During KFC use, Chris can spam massive projectiles.

Matchups:

To be updated

Match Vids:

[media=youtube]mTEopshO4tw[/media]

[media=youtube]WJ7yDt-LgP8[/media] thanks to IKARI

[media=youtube]hJxzu3mCzx8[/media]

More match vids needed!

Other useful vids:

[media=youtube]Ei04alW6O-w[/media] by Carpark

Combo’s

:l:, :m:,:h:, :s:, sj. , :l:, :m:,Magnum Shot, down + :h:, :s: for relaunch

I slightly improved that corner combo by adding Stun Rod (quite tricky) and changing :m: to :d:+:m:.
:d:+:l:,:d:+:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:,:l: Boulder Punch>:l:>:m:>:h: (just frame follow-ups), :f:+:h:, :h: BP, level 3 888,100 damage.

Started looking for mid screen combos, haven’t found anything better than one shown in the Missions yet. :d:+:l:,:d:+:m: ,:h:,:f:+:h:,:s:,:m:,:m:,:h:, Air Magnum,:f:+:h: , :s: (relaunch),:m:,:m:,:h:,:s:. Does only 457,600 damage but it builds slightly more than one bar.

Turns out you can also combo off Air Magnum. Closer to the corner, Air Magnum,:f:+:h:,:s:,:m:,:m:,:h:,:s:,:a1: (EM Disruptor),:d:+:h:,assist connects :s:,:m:,:m:,:h:,:s:,:d:+:h: did 597,100. Doing Sweep Combo after the relaunch is impossible due to hitstun scaling :sad:, but hey, meterless combo.

Mid screen (it pretty much puts the opponent in the corner) Air Magnum,:f:+:h:,:s:,:m:,:m:,:h:,:s:,:a1: (Spencer’s upward Slant Shot),:d:+:h:assist connects, Genade Launcher :s:,:m: did 662,900, couldn’t combo anything after the last :m: in the air.

Now some high damage assist combos.

:d:+:l:,:d:+:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:,:l: Boulder Punch>:l:>:m:>:h: (just frame follow-ups), :f:+:h:, :h: BP, :a1: (Spencer’s upward Slant Shot), :m: BP> Magnum follow-up, level 3 did 944,500 damage.

Air Magnum allows to perform the following: Air Magnum, :f:+:h:,:s:,:m:, :m:, :h:,:s:,:a1: (Spencer’s upward Slant Shot),:d:+:h:assist connects, :m: BP> Magnum follow-up, level 3 did 996,800.

Tested that Spencer assist (upward Slant Shot).
Assist combo: :l:,:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:,:s:, air :m:,:m:,:h:,:s:, :a1:, :d:+:h: assist connects, Grenade Launcher, Sweep Combo (yep, they link into each other in the corner) does 758,800.

:l:,:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:,:s:, air :m:,:m:,:h:,:s:, :a1:, :d:+:h: assist connects :h: BP (ANYTHING before BP will not allow BP to connect, damn you hitstun scaling!!!), level 3 886,700. Yeah, this one is pretty useless

Messed around with Spencer’s assist some more. If you ever happen to be sitting on 5 bars (:cool:) try doing :d:+:l:,:d:+:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:,:l: Boulder Punch>:l:>:m:> (just frame follow-ups, don’t do :h: follow-up), cancel 4th Boulder Punch hit into Grenade Launcher, :h: BP (yes you can juggle with this after Grenade Launcher), :a1: (Spencer’s upward Slant Shot),:d:+:h:assist connects, Grenade Launcher, :h: BP, level 3, this combo does 1,186,400.

A 4 bar “alternative” Air Magnum, :f:+:h:,:s:,:m:, :m:, :h:,:s:,:a1: (Spencer’s upward Slant Shot),:d:+:h:assist connects, Grenade Launcher, :h: BP, level 3, it did 1,177,800. Both are overkill, but they look cool as hell, the second one also works mid screen.

I don’t really like Spencer as a chracter, so tried Wesker and his Jaguar Kick. Most practical combos were:

At mid screen: :d:+:l:,:d:+:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:, :s:, :m:, :m:, :h:, :s:, :a1: (Weskers Jaguar Kick):d:+:h:assist connects, Flamethrower, does 499,300 not much damage, but it builds almost 1,5 bars.

Closer to the corner: :d:+:l:,:d:+:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:, :l: BP>:l:>:m:>:h:, Magnum, Air Magnum, :f:+:h:, :s:, :m:, :m:, :h:, :s:, :a1: (Weskers Jaguar Kick, most assists should work):d:+:h:assist connects, Flamethrower does 554,500.

Closer to the corner :d:+:l:,:d:+:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:,:l: Boulder Punch>:l:>:m:> , Grenade Launcher, :h: BP, :a1: (Weskers Jaguar Kick):d:+:h:assist connects, Sweep Combo does 777,300.

4 bars, :d:+:l:,:d:+:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:,:l: Boulder Punch>:l:>:m:> , Grenade Launcher, :h: BP, :a1: (Weskers Jaguar Kick),:d:+:h:assist connects, :h: BP, level 3 1,050,000

[media=youtube]Z0zovFhnDo4[/media]

Another Combo:
Objective: 1,300,000 damage
Priority: High
Difficulty: Intermediate

Requirements:
-Any assist to keep the opponent after second OTG relaunch
-X-Factor Level 1
-Meter requirements - none
-Sentinel must be mid - screen or near corner (the furthest he can be away from the corner is two steps (his steps) to the left from where 2P is standing at the beginning of the match)

:d:+:l:,:d:+:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:, :l: BP>:l:>:m:> XFC, :d:+:m:,:h:,:f:+:h:, :m: BP> Magnum follow-up (Sent is cornered), Air Magnum (ground bounce), :f:+:h:, :s: (relaunch), :m:, :m:, :h:, :s:, :a1: (I tried the usual, Jaguar Kick, Doom’s Rocks, hell even Trish’s Hopscotch), :d:+:h:, assist connects, Flamethrower.

Results: The variant with Doom did 1,577,100 damage, in the Training Mode, and it builds almost full 3 bars. Pretty much any assist will kill him, if you do this combo.

Nice job Diek!

Nitpick: isn’t it A+B for hypers not 2A?

i like the 2A notation…either way, im surprised his came up twice. its pretty easily understandable. eventhubs uses the 2A notation.

great thread, i might steal some of this

Thanks guys!

Well basicly you can use B+C for a hyper as well, that’s the reason I stick with 2A :wgrin:

Oh ps Robo; check you PSN friend invites :stuck_out_tongue:

Oooh yay, I have a present! d:>)

so i dont get any invites? :sad:

Chris with a Billy costume will get his say

Well… I would ,but Europe to USA on PSN is lagfest for a fighting games…

Aww phooey. I would’ve wanted to go 3v3 all Weskers with you lol.

Oh you’re on! Even if it means a mudpul of lag! :lol:

Anyway I’ll head back to my on topic ways :wgrin:

Are his boulder punches really like Rekkas? I thought I read somewhere that you didn’t have to do anything after doing the input…

LOVE the thread title, btw. <3

No, the input is just one :qcb: , but it’s the best way to describe graphics on screen
(auto punch combo sounds so stale :lol: )

Edit: changed it to auto-punch combo (even though it’s still stale sounding :lol: ), to prevent confusement with Fei’s move.

Is the the attack really named Boulder Punch? If so Chris is pretty much guarenteed a slot in most of my teams.

No, iirc in game it’s called “Punching Combination” as an assist.
But I think everyone generally agrees (just like KFC) that it should called “Boulder Punches” :wgrin:

I liked the old title more :frowning:

[media=youtube]4xuXkVzBdJQ&fmt=22[/media]

Im well aware of chris’s boulder punching action.

I however, found the reference to Chris’s catch phrase from the beginning of the game much more satisfying than a generic meme.

Ok, Thanks. I do agree that auto-punch combo sounds more stale, but I’ve been around for a while and the word choice still confused me. :stuck_out_tongue: Imagine all the scrubs! D:

Pretty sure he slaps em’ with his stun…stick (that isn’t a taser…o_0) after the slash in All or Nothing mang.