Blanka - General Discussion

Blanka with Gamma Charge?

Liking his visual, animations, gestures and movements so far.

I wasnā€™t expecting him to look soā€¦ authentic? Def a good sign. They did give us the troll costume but his movements donā€™t seem stupid goofy like I thought they would be.

Never hurts to ask i guess! This was on my wish list and what do you know,it came true! He needed something like this to add to the mind games.
Really happy with what iā€™m seeing so far! Good job CAPCOM!!

A couple of observations:

• After the forward throw, Blanka seems to have recovered while the opponent is still bouncing on the ground. Maybe that means youā€™ll be plus after a follow-up command hop for mid-screen throw loops. This is especially powerful as he most likely gets command hop > throw after a CC as well. This almost seems to good to be true, so letā€™s wait and see.

• In the same vein he seems to get oki off of everything: after the cr. fierce CCā€™d Sakura she landed over half a screen away. I assume his cr. fierce would not be the only knockdown CC in the game that doesnā€™t give oki, correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

• St. strong seems to reach relatively far, at least for SFVā€™s standards. It was his best poke in IV, and I thought itā€™s very telling that they chose to show this poke without any context. Iā€™m guessing it will be his main poke again.

• Forward Command Hop seems to have invincible frames, or at least a very small lower body hurtbox.

• He can still combo cr. forward xx Electric Thunder like in IV. I wonder if jab xx Electric Thunder still works as well, which was his BnB pressure tool.

• He still has his BnB jump in, cr. forward, st. jab xx Roll, and he can now extend it with EX Electric Thunder > EX Vertical Roll if he does EX Roll after st. jab.

• Rainbow Roll startup seems extremely slow with the double hop backwards, but Iā€™m guessing itā€™s safe on block. Seems to have very good comboability if you land it, though.

• I didnā€™t notice this at first, but after he does the st. fierce in the trailer he goes for a very quick Coward Crouch and wakes up with Wild Lift. Looks similar to his st. fierce in SFII, and I wonder if itā€™s quick enough to do Coward Crouch xx Wild Lift as an AA.

• Which brings me to his AA. Since his traditional AA buttons such as st. strong and st. fierce both hit horizontally (cr. fierce too), Iā€™m guessing st. roundhouse will be his go-to AA button, although cr. strong is used in the trailer. Itā€™s interesting how heā€™s plus after cr. strong AA > cross under Hop into cr. forward, it was quick enough to beat Sakuraā€™s cr. jab. Reminds me AA st. strong > cross under roll in SFII.

• Coward crouch seems to be a great mix-up tool as it recovers so fast; whenever the opponent sees the crouch he has to guess between a regular attack (Wild Lift) or a very hard to anti-air jump (Raid Jump). I doubt you can still Command Hop cancel the Coward Crouch like in IV, I think that would give him too many dangerous options up close (WL, RJ or Command Hop > Bite). In a game where jumping is so good, Raid Jump will be a powerful tool.

• His CA looks similar to Ultra 1, but with better comboability. His triggers seem very versatile, trigger I looks very good as a combo extender, especially when used as Ground Shave. Trigger II seems to make Roll safe, and of course enables the crazy Marvel-esque air combos. Since it can be used after every one of his three rolls, and juggles multiple times in the trailer, Iā€™m guessing that one (AA) Vertical Roll is enough to make your opponent eat the full damage of the trigger.

• He appears to be a very complete character: he has good combo potential, good mobility, an overhead, a command grab, short hang-time, non-stubby normals and good options against projectiles such as Coward Crouch, Rainbow Roll and EX Roll, assuming itā€™s still invulnerable to projectiles. Both of his triggers seem useful for specific matchups.

• His victory dance > your characterā€™s victory pose.

I kept begging for a command grab in sfIV. Finally! Iā€™m excited about the look and moves of SFV Blanka.

itā€™s reminiscent of his SFxT level 3 and the his super in that game

SEXY :slight_smile:

full WSO archive on a site with a not crappy video player.

some notes

cr.mk is -1 on block(lol)
f.hop is 29f
target combo is very important
cr.mp is a good AA and special cancelable, this should lead to anti-air > mixup potential

blanka gameplay looks so sick

Soā€¦ Ummmmmmā€¦ the difference was always Oicho Throw IMO between Honda and Blanka.

Why I canā€™t confirm without playing I feel all 3 wantā€™s were hit and got a fucking command grab as a bonus even if just EX.

Canā€™t wait for Tuesday to play this game again for the first time in a long while.

Looks great so far! Backstep allowing a combo/juggle for that startup and (lack of) invuln is perfection. All the Nash players are going to be jealous with their Moonsaultsā€¦

Also thrilled to see his command grab work like Revenger. Love that stuff. His Triggers look good, his normals great, I dig the increased differentiation in Hops, the TC looks promising, the new Upball angles are intriguing, and even the costumes hit bullseyes. They really did just take what worked and fleshed him out even more, which is a good place to start.

I honestly didnā€™t know how badly I wanted him back before this. Having such excellent production value and changes on Blanka of all people is rich.

Any opinions on Thunder only having one strength? I personally like that since my Hands execution was buttcheeks, but Iā€™m interested to know how much that could affect his game.

His weaknesses so far seem to be: no 3-framer, no 2-bar VT, and very poor throw range.

All in all very manageable, I think he has the tools to deal with pretty much any matchup.

Iā€™m very happy with ET having only one strength. In IV, you had to be insanely fast to piano out fierce electricity. Good riddance.

You were messing up by pianoing it, sliding is faster and less hand straining.

Loss of electricity differences means he potentially loses tools. In SF4 HP elec is generally for pressure but it is slower to offset the frame advantage it gives on block, while LP is faster which gives it uses as a situational anti air or to blow up a high normal. They also had different input buffers, this meant it was nice to have LP electricity buffered to react to something, but you could also clear the input queue faster with hp preventing it from coming out which allowed some option selects.

Homogenizing them means you end up with less potential frame advantage, and probably a version with medium speed which has less uses overall.

Overall itā€™s a boon for people who didnā€™t practice doing electricity well, and itā€™s a negative for those who have. If EX electricity is useful, youā€™ll probably have people complaining that it is too hard to do too.

Pianoing, sliding, whatever I did, I couldnā€™t reliably get it to work. I practiced 10 minutes every day for a couple of months before I gave up. Iā€™ll be the first to admit that my execution in general isnā€™t the greatest, but fierce electricity really was a pain for most players. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m all for having a few characters with high execution barriers, but in the case of my main Iā€™d gladly take a less sophisticated move that is easier to execute.

as someone with self proclaimed bad execution, Iā€™m going to go with those things being related.

if youā€™re practicing in a poor way, obviously itā€™s not going to go well as well.

A friend of mine could do it every time with the sliding method, I got it perhaps 1 out of 20 times. I did it the way The Mullah demonstrated in a vid. I had more success with his method so I stuck with that, but I never got it to work consistently either.

Back then there was this discussion in the Blanka forums about what you could do to increase your speed. People came up with the most ridiculous stuff such as training with the CoC grippers.

the mullahā€™s method is so bad that even he stopped using it.

1 more day left, hype 2 stronk for the one costume lol

Very sad to see that electric thunder is insanely nerfed compared to SF4. Itā€™s beaten by jump fierce attacks. That means if you do light ball > electric thunder cancel to counter an opponent that netural jumps all the time your electric thunder will be beaten.

Same thing if you use electric thunder as anti-air youā€™ll be beaten. Itā€™s hurtbox must be very strange like itā€™s only to the left and right side, and not to the top (where it seems like the hurtbox is). Itā€™s only usefull for grounded opponents.