Birdie Q&A Thread: Ask All Your Questions Here

Can someone give me rundown of all the changes that occur with VT activated?

Birdie’s walkspeed will become faster
His bullhead will gain super armor, multiple hits and have greater pushback on block making it safer.
Bullhorn will be safer on block, cover a longer distance and launch the opponent higher on hit.

Ahh ok. I thought there was more. Thanks!

Also… The hcf+K chain… What’s the properties when you EX it?

EX chain can destroy projectiles and could catch characters out the air unlike the non-anti air versions of chain.

Awesome. Thanks dude!

Where can i find the rest of Birdie’s hitboxes?

http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_1/CB4-STAND-0

Birdie’s a whole lotta fun. I’m having trouble with what SEEMS like a big part of his execution, though: The s.lk/s.lp cancel to LP bullhead.

The timing on that seems incredibly tight, and I can’t get it out consistently in training mode, let alone an actual match. Is there some trick to it?

I took an hour on release day and just practiced it (nothing else) until it felt comfortable. It still comprises a lot of my “warm up” time in the training room. My advice would just be to grind some time with it. There’s definitely a rhythm to it that, once discovered, feels almost second nature (though I still fuck it up in the heat of matches sometimes).

i think birdie is very strong in this game, he can whiff punish almost every character in the cast with s.mp>strong bull head>super, he has a nasty anti air c.mp almost beat or trade everything also beat cross ups, his normals are so powerful, s.mk, s.lk, c.lp beat almost everything in the ground, he has a lot of ways to punish fireballs and on block moves and also he has zoning tools like the can, chains and banana peel. i think the main problems people have are, they do to much bull revenger, f.hp and bull head getting punished for that and also people tend to have bad defense, use v.trigger on matches you should have v.reversal (laura, mika, gief, etc) to reset the situation to neutral.

You’re right about most things, but I feel I still had to mention the following:
sMP can’t whiff punish most common normals (low forwards) effectively and this is mainly because the hitbox of sMP is quite high and the recovery hurtboxes from whiffed low forwards are under or outside of sMP’s range. sMK and cLP however are much better whiff punish tools. cLP (especially for the range) and sLK (meh range) have good hitboxes like any jab or short, but sadly they also gain huuuge hurtboxes on recovery.

This is a pretty good tool and site from Toolassisted to compare normals and whiff punishes with each other: http://toolassisted.github.io/LOL/

What is the trick to juggling your opponent in combos with V Trigger activation? They always seem to be too far away each time I try.

You can mash it out if your having trouble but basically you just press it when the last hit of whatever move connects.

I’m pretty sure you can press it well in advance.

In the UltraChen tuesday show, James mentioned that Birdie was a “defensive grappler”. Can someone explain to me what that means? I don’t think I’ve seen anyone play Birdie like a grappler at all, really. The gameplan for most Birdies (like Itazan, for example) seems to be to go in with crossup j.mp, tick into revenger, poke with s.mk, whiff punish with s.mp, that kind of thing. Sure, sometimes he throws the can, but he’s always walking in behind it, not staying back.

I’m wondering if how I’m playing Birdie is wrong - I play more like an aggressive zoner, bulldogging all the time, trying to get into s.mk / s.mp range, which is also lk/mk/ex revenger range, and also the range where I can react with ex. bull horn. Always going in - I can’t imagine any benefit to staying back and eating donuts/throwing bananas. Frankly, I play him like I used to play Rose - always at s.mk range threatening walk in throw/crossup, ready for c.hp antiair, space the slide to be safe, etc.

you need to do the c.mp instead of standing^^

Necally is a aggresiv grappler^^ IRONY

Ah yes, get in his face where he still has armored moves and more health to take trades.

birdie to me look like passive aggressive, you are passive because birdie don’t approach directly, he lack in mix up and mobility, but you are aggressive because his normals are so good.Basically you bulling other players with superior moves, catching people off guard with ex bull revenger. the v.skill looks match up dependent, for example i discover banana time is extremely good against gief also good and vs some happy v.trigger character (karin, necalli, chunli) to waste they time meter.

Armor really doesn’t mean much in this game, there’s no armor on frame 1 so you need to make a hard read. Plus, if EX bull head or bull horn gets blocked, it’s like 10 frame punish time - really bad.

Birdies pokes are good but there’s also negative apart from jab and short. I find that I get really bullied when someone gets inside of s.mp range - unless I v reversal, I have a hard time getting someone out again.

EX Bullhorn has armor from frame 1, but it starts up so slow that if u did a meaty, you can recover in time to even throw him out of the bullhorn.
Vreversal suffers from the same weakness.