Billionaire, Playboy, and Viable Again - The Iron Man General Discussion Thread

It’s been 7 years since he left his glorious MvC2 days, but Iron Man is finally back to his good old form.

From the slow dashes and bad hitboxes in Marvel 3, we now have the speed and the reach back, with really great new aerial footsies tools, in both smart mine and repulsor ray.

He’s looking to be really solid, and at worst a contender in the long run, specially with the potential of setup-play after the proton cannons.

Stairway to Heaven: (boxdash) j.HK (Land) s.LK-HP-HK cr.HP (supejump) j.HP (ADDF) j.HP (land, jump) j.LP-HP xx Fly xx j.LP-HP x [(ADUF) j.LP-.HP] x2 xx QCF+HK-HK-HK (wallbounce) j.HK (land) QCF+LK-LK-HK xx Proton Cannon

Focus Loop: (boxdash) j.HK (Land) s.LK-HP-HK cr.HP (superjump) j.HP (ADDF) j.HP (land, jump) j.LP-.HPup ~ ADUF xx Fly xx j.LP-HP (ADUF) j.HP (ADF) j.HP (ADUF) j.HP (ADF) j.HP xx QCF+HK-HK-HK (wallbounce) j.HK (land, dash) QCF+LK-HK-HK xx Proton Cannon

Side Switch: cr.LK-HK f+HP xx fly j.LK-HP-HPup (ADUF) j.HP xx Unfly (while falling) j.HP (land) cr.HP (superjump) j.HP (ADUF) j.HP xx Fly xx j.LP-HP (ADF) j.HP (ADU) j.LP-HP xx QCF+HK-HK-HK (wallbounce) j.HK (land) QCF+LK-HK-HK xx Proton Cannon

Stairway to Heaven:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJXfKyyGHiU

Focus Loop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3bYL6U26xM

Side-switch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q9HP66JUEY

Tony is back, and is up to us to dominate with him.

Welcome aboard!

Yo, am I though only one that finds short hop focus attack or lk/hk to be better to use than tri-jump versions for instant overhead?

Ironman is fun!

Yeah, it’s way faster.

Actually, box dashing for every single character (specially if you do an IAD motion just like in GG) is always faster than trijumping

Can you post the notations? Thank you.

At the moment having issues with the stupid Down Up Heavy coming out over the straight one in start of air loop.

Sure, I’ll add them to the opening post, below the videos.

Just for the 2nd combo, I actually switched the diagonal dashes all the time for consistency. You can do the first dash after flight up/fwd, then do 3 straight forward, and then the last one u/f again, and you should be in perfect height to followup with the repulsor rays.

One thing I found is that if you hold forward while dashing, his dash range is near full screen. May not be apparent if you dash with buttons. Perfect for hiding behind plasma, like a X buster shot

Haven’t had a lot of time to put in to training mode and I’m still learning the game but this is what I have so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-q7DUWqs0&feature=youtu.be

There’s quite a few things that took a long time to figure out about some of these combos for example the delay before you can air dash after going straight in to flight. Their is also the fact that you have to delay the cr.LP in to launch after the knockdown of cr.HK. I’ll add more info later when I think about important things to add and eventually I’ll edit the video to be more informative but for now this is what I have.

I see you’re using power stone as well… do you have any specific power-combos, or any consistent adaptations to his regular stuff?

I came up with this, but I dont know… almost sure that it could be better :frowning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KxAUStszig

@tortonon The notations that are posted are wrong you have hcf p for all of them when it should be K and the first combo you have addf lphp3 when it should be aduf lpx3.

Went through the videos in slow-mo and fixed all the notation errors.

Stairway to Heaven: (boxdash) j.HK (Land) s.LK-HP-HK cr.HP (supejump) j.HP (ADDF) j.HP (land, jump) j.LP-HP xx Fly xx j.LP-HP x [(ADUF) j.LP-.HP] x2 xx QCF+HK-HK-HK (wallbounce) j.HK (land) QCF+LK-LK-HK xx Proton Cannon

Focus Loop: (boxdash) j.HK (Land) s.LK-HP-HK cr.HP (superjump) j.HP (ADDF) j.HP (land, jump) j.LP-.HPup ~ ADUF xx Fly xx j.LP-HP (ADUF) j.HP (ADF) j.HP (ADUF) j.HP (ADF) j.HP xx QCF+HK-HK-HK (wallbounce) j.HK (land, dash) QCF+LK-HK-HK xx Proton Cannon

Side Switch: cr.LK-HK f+HP xx fly j.LK-HP-HPup (ADUF) j.HP xx Unfly (while falling) j.HP (land) cr.HP (superjump) j.HP (ADUF) j.HP xx Fly xx j.LP-HP (ADF) j.HP (ADU) j.LP-HP xx QCF+HK-HK-HK (wallbounce) j.HK (land) QCF+LK-HK-HK xx Proton Cannon

Thanks guys. I actually hate doing notations. Already updated the OP.

All good.

You guys found good setups with Iron Man after knock down? Or after another characters Hyper? I’m finding good Mine setups in air.

Example: Nova does Air Hyper Tag in Iron Man Throw out two mines forces air reset which allows you to work from there.

Also, Box dashing back or forward whiffing normal and doing mine plus tag allows the mine to setup very close to the ground good to catch characters rolling.

Lastly, wondering if anyone found good Iron Man AA buttons to use vs crap like Ultron’s air H.

For setups, I run him on point, and usually use his proton cannon to tag Strange in for EoA or GoH mixups… When I play him back (w/ Captain Marvel) I still try to end my combos with his super, while I armor her up and shoot a reality surge, for the same reasons.

Anti-airing with him is either catching fools with Repulsor Ray, or having the panic button from the power stone… actually, I have been finding quite some results using the power surge, since each one of my guys can give the other a free combo while sending ultron/gamora/RUSHERS to hell with it.

Just ran into this other way of side-switching. Great damage too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIPyYs5Uv2E

Damn that seems the way to go for side switching would work on all bodies and best of all does great damage.

I like his movement options and long range. Repulsor Ray can be mixed up to move different directions in the air in response to the opponent, so you can do light to go down, then heavy to go up, and tag on the end whichever you want, wallbounce or OTG. His Smart Mine bounces of the wall like a tennis ball, but can be reflected with AG.

@ tortonon

Good to see another Iron Man / Doctor Strange player

I haven’t found the optimal stone for this team yet. What have been your thoughts with them?

Time seemed alright, Space felt meh, Mind has been interesting. Iron Man’s smart mine seems to be a good tick-throw for mind grab. A mind stone grab gives you like 5 minutes to set up Doctor Strange spells as well. The infinite meter in storm has been giving me tons of breathing room to set up some bullshit. That power stone damage you’re doing seems impressive - has the surge been useful in neutral as well?

How are you ending your Doctor Strange combos?

I’ve been doing generally: hit confirm -> palm stuff -> launch -> air series into jHK -> teleport to floor -> sHP sHK palm mMsticSwordHP -> tag to Iron Man then Proton Cannon off the wall bounce then back to Strange to set up glyphs/eye during Proton Cannon. Seems good so far overall, just looking if I’m missing anything big

Side thoughts: Iron Man feels great in this game. I want to see some Magneto players like Ray Ray give him a serious chance. He’s way faster than people give him credit, his combos are strong, Proton Cannon lasts ages so you can set up behind it, fly/unfly mix ups are strong. Smart Mines aren’t amazing but they’re interesting. Most combo drops can be fixed by paying attention to character heights and letting air dashes linger. Iron Man can be real strong, feels like he’s not getting any credit from players yet.

Whats up @protato, good to see a felow Tony/Stephen main :slight_smile:

As for my Strange combos, that’s basically what I’m doing, ending in a wallbounce into an angled cannon, but most of the time, If I get any confirm, wheter it is from the bolts or even from his impact palm, I’m tending to straight up tag in Tony to do more damage and to get the ‘vortex system’ going.

About the stones, I’m in a bit of a dilemma as of now. Power works REALLY good because people tend to rush Strange nonstop, and even for Iron Man it’s useful during strings or contesting people in the air (you’re not limited to clipping guys with the repulsor ray I mean).

Reality seemed a no-brainer for me at first, because it’s very cheap, and allows another projectile after Stranges sequence to control the screen, something like EoA-Palm-Reality, but it works even better for Tony, since you get another projectile to either get safe or approach (smart mines are quite slow on startup, and they only travel to their spot).

At least for now, I’d go with reality. But, depending on matchup, and on the meta you’re facing (people here in Brazil LOVE to rushdown), I’d consider using power as a backup.

I’m pretty new to Marvel but am interested in using Iron Man. Thing is, I’m not sure what to do with him or who to put him with. What’s he good for? Trying to decide on Thanos, Firebrand, Ghost Rider, or Ultron as a partner and knowing his place in the game would help with that.