Bigger cause of lag: wireless controllers or non-CRT monitors

Starting with the PlayStation 3 / Xbox 360 generation (I would say Wii but a requirement is all wired fight sticks are hooked up to Wiimotes, so there’s no way to direct plug it.) How many milliseconds ( or hopefully microseconds) of input delay are in the wireless joysticks.

During this generation you could choose standard-definition component 480i or you could upgrade to high definition. At that time, high definition monitors had at least a 50 millisecond delay, today’s best monitors around 8-10 milliseconds of delay.

As for PS4, Xbox One and Switch, how many (hopefully) microseconds does it take to convert HDMI to VGA. Is it true that even the worst HDMI to VGA converter is a millisecond or less, meaning you gained about 7 to 9 milliseconds over a premium PC monitor?

I want to know how much lag these controllers have. Is it worth tangling with your headphones and your glasses just to get a microscopic edge? If it’s a millisecond or less, I say no. I just need to know if performance will not suffer with NiMH AA batteries for my controllers.

by the way did you know that the only thing that CRT TV glass can be recycled into is other CRT TV glass? No one’s going to buy a cinema size CRT TV these days. Every one who wants a CRT prefers a gaming size. In other words you can go to big to most CRT buyers. I heard ideally you want to be able to focus in on one pixel and quickly shift to looking at the whole screen at once. Seeing both the tree and the forest. That’s why Gamers don’t compete on the jumbotrons. That’s for the audience to watch the game play.

If crt’s are taking a landfill space, and people want to reduce ping, and those ping reducers have an optimal maximum size you shouldn’t go beyond, then let’s convert Cinema CRT TVs into Gamers CRT TVs.

and if compatible with the old systems light gun games will no longer be dead.

Here’s the TLDR version.

What’s the input delay?

lag times I know

360/PS3 era typical non-CRTs :100+ms

PS3DTV (The Best in delay to that point) : 33ms

PS4/One era gaming monitors: 8-16 ms.

CRT TV : sub-Microsecond ( below .001 ms)

Wired controllers (a general rule is 1/100 speed of light ) 3 meter cable is 1 microsecond.

What I don’t know:

Wireless controllers: I don’t have stats. (Would like to know if wireless lag is significant or not compared to monitor lag)

HDMI to VGA converters: not sure of that one either. (Assume VGA is a CRT monitor. Worth converting if main issue is delay? If the worst one is rated 1000 microseconds, [1.000 ms] that’s as good as a Hauppauge Rocket DVR and 8 times better than modern monitor)

If there is a big human-noticable difference between brands let me know.

Also I know 1 ms Bluetooth sound delay sounds like a second voice in a 2 voice choir. It does not sound like “Row Row Row Your Boat” .

Are controllers worth being tangled with headphones for the edge in lag?

Also for headphones:

Bluetooth vs RF vs FM vs WAN

better ask for info in wired controllers… 1ms is not the standard

1 Like

First I am treating controller lag separately from monitor lag.

Second. Is the speed of electricity through copper wire 1/100 of the speed of light?

If is, is the speed of light 300,000 km/s?

So copper wire signal speed is 3000 km/s.

Multiplying by 1 s/ 1000 ms gives you 3 km/ ms

Multiplying by both 1000 m / km and 1 ms/1000 mcs (I don’t know what to use for micro when no mu button exists AFAICT in an Android keyboard so let’s just say mc= micro-) 3m / mcs so a 3 meter cable has 1 microsecond of lag.

I said micro, not milli. Milli is one thousandth, and micro is one millionth.

Did I mistype or did you misread?

Just got back from reading article. How does wired vs wireless controllers compare?

I read the USB protocols introduce 4 ms of delay, and did say a PS4 wireless has less delay than wired pads.

I just leaving this here, here a Twitter post with a link to a Spread sheet that still being updated with Lag test results.
https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status/1265071632382640131

Don’t ask me about it, I just leaving the results for everyone else to interpret.
Bluetooth is laggy, end of story. 2.4ghz controllers are better but Wired is KING.

Headphones are a different beast and are best to have it’s own topic.
Not that there much to talk about.

NO.

Also NO.

First if all… Why have a spreadsheet if it is only fixed by column 1 ABC order, with ties broken by Column B ABC order? Why can’t I organize by wired/wireless tech type? Or by console being tested on?

Why aren’t A to B converters segregated by A and B combinations? Does the list only have controllers that deal in USB and other later related technologies (Bluetooth,)

A Wired Cthulhu (even though Paradise arcade made it) and Brook Universal USB seem to be around 1 ms. (I assume the differences in display were minimized by using the lowest lag HDMI to VGA adapter and a CRT VGA monitor. ). 1 ms is dark green, which I assume is excellent. Whiter colors are more average and blacker colors are more extreme. Green is good, red is bad.

Looking at wired vs wireless. Sony and Nintendo wireless are greater than one 60 Hz frame.

My point of saying audibly, a 1 ms delay makes the mis-sync sound like 2 voices in harmony, and 4 ms or more makes it sound like cacauphany.

And the best non-CRT has 8 ms. CRTs Are instant, but there’s conversion time. …time to Google HDMI to 480i YPbPr converters and HDMI to VGA adapters. If the highest number is less than 1 ms, you save at least 8ms.

Any information on modern Displays vs HDMI to VGA converters? (If it needs to be light gun quick, original input method straight to CRT TV.)

Am I right that “uncoded” joysticks, like Atari 2600 travel at 3 meters in 1 microsecond?

I see over 10 milliseconds can be saved with Brook Universal USB vs Wii Joycons.