Beginner Resources

I placed 1st in the T5 nationals of my country, and placed 2nd in the T6 nationals. I know how to play this game.

I’ll add info to the first post as I feel like it.
The guide Aris posted on his website is good but I want to look at it from a different approach of understanding the principles behind the game aka what happens when all the rules connect together aka the bigger picture.

Golden rule #1-
When in doubt, block high. Which means you’ll be blocking high most of the time. If you think you know what the opponent is going to do, do the solution for it. You don’t need to actually remember frames. You just remember how the move looks like, and what move deals with it.
Golden rule #2-
Everything comes down to risk/reward ratio. That is also the reason for rule #1, since mid attacks are low risk high reward, and low attacks are higher risk lower reward.
To compare to 2D games, you poke poke poke(=3D mid), and to keep them honest you mix in a walk up throw once in a while.(=3D lows)
Golden rule #3-
The flow of the game is usually “I attack, then you attack, then I attack again” so all you need to think about is the opponent’s next move. There’s less emphasis on overall situation in the match, because one good prediction is all you need to turn the tables. That is why at the highest levels of play, you also see fewer launchers and big moves. People mostly play with the smallest, safest pokes, exactly because they require more effort and prediction from the opponent to be punished.
Golden rule #4-
Don’t be impulsive after a knockdown. It’s easy to abuse someone who tries to rollback/get up/whatever the 1st chance he gets. Try staying on the floor and mix not just “how” you get up but also “when”. Also, eating a hit on the ground allows you to get up safely after it, and escape from a scary mixup on wakeup, so it’s a nice sacrifice to consider.
Golden rule #5-
Don’t expect to NOT get random’ed out in tournaments. In 2D games you can “do your thing” easier and you don’t need to have matchup knowledge to deal with simple scrubs. Not so much in Tekken. You’ll eat random shit and lose to moves just because you are not used to seeing them.
So let’s say you played some casuals vs a Christie player and lost horribly. You go back to training mode and let the CPU do the moves he used. You learn how to block them, and look for holes. (punishable on block? easily parried? can be side stepped? can stuff an attack in the middle of the string? can duck the 2nd hit? etc. etc.)
So focus on learning the game one opponent character at a time.

Norvil, you’re a pretty famous video creator right? It’d be a shame for these tips to be only viewable on a forum post in a small, almost hidden sub forum.

Agree with PurpleLemonade, you should do a video. I´ve always tried to get into this series, your advice is really simple to understand, IMO.

Also, whats your home country?

Having this so deeply hidden won’t do us too good upon the game’s release. If the (dead) MK forums weren’t suffocating the sub-section, the area would look much cleaner.

Thanks tataki. I never played a 3d, but i want to learn TTT2. I really enjoy FG that are based on reaction and not mashing buttons…I play SSF4. Anyways, thanks for the bit of noob knowledge.

I think you’ll really enjoy learning the intricacies of TTT2; there’s a character for everyone.

Remember this part well:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-_trL1pZeo#t=6m12s
The text guides don’t mention it for some reason.

:eek: While I’m probably not qualified to amend your list, I really really would like for people who 2D players look to for advice to mention the following.

Aside from a “top ten moves list,” aside from combos, aside from sick tags, I think players newer to Tekken and 3D in general should really REALLY focus first and primarily on movement. Moving, knowing how to move, knowing when to move, and knowing WHY to move are so so so important especially in Tekken. Not only does moving make the game flow better for the players, but it solves tons of problems that other game mechanics do not.

3D players (I kinda wish this weren’t even a monicker, but whatever) maaaaaaaaaaybe take movement for granted after a certain point (most I know do not, though), but I rarely see people talk about it, especially when detailing a primer for Tekken games. Please, if you’ve got time to learn sick combos and nasty tags and ridiculous oki, you’ve got time to learn how to move! Movement saves lives!

In Tekken, you can tradtionally kick them a lot when they’re on the ground, and when they get up, do a laser beam :cybot: Naw, I’m kidding… :wink:

From what I can remember last playing it, it has a terrific step and throw game? It had like 10 hit autocombo strings as well, but you have to like stop and start these to mix-up otherwise easy to defend or counter break points in the chain. Like VF, some chars have reversals as well, grabbing the limbs you throw at different heights, so if you go up against players who have access to this, you can’t just spam canned sequences. Against the masher characters like Eddy and Christie, you need to just block for ages. Jam the stick back, and go crack open a mountain dew :razzy: Guys like Jin are basically the shotos, who you will face over and over, so learn how and when to stick and move their routines.

This is actually a huge improvement in TTT2. While you can still get “randomed”, the crush system has been fixed (for lack of a better word). A good example is Lars’ u/f+3, used to be a trump card, now it’s properly vulnerable during early frames. This is actually true for many moves in TTT2. As you see the game progress, you’ll notice TTT2 is more about movement and out thinking your opponent than T6, which is a huge improvement. No more, “let me throw something out with high reward/low risk that crushes for days”, now it puts heavier emphasis on causing your opponent to whiff.

It comes down to space and a whole section on movement and ranges takes up an incredible amount of it.

don’t be talking shit about top ten moves (jk) but honestly… people are going to be shitting themselves when they see some characters with over 200 moves…real

lol fuck Lars’ u/f+3. If it got nerfed I’m happy. It was like a free hail marry ultra.

I wonder if his U/F+4 was nerfed as well. I used to play Lars and man, it was delicious spamming that. Not that it was right or anything :rofl:

I wonder if the glitched version it still there, because that’s what made this move so great.

That’d be ridiculous to have been left in. Goodness I can barely wait for my Gamestop to open!!

Thanks for the tips. I know I am going to have a hard time because…
“Golden rule #1-
When in doubt, block high. Which means you’ll be blocking high most of the time. If you think you know what the opponent is going to do, do the solution for it. You don’t need to actually remember frames. You just remember how the move looks like, and what move deals with it.”

As a capcom fighter this is against everything I know lol.

Totally rocket science to hold back instead of down/back! Requires years of practice! :wink:

rule#1 is gonna be a biggie for most 2D players, we want to protect or feet because most of the huge damage comes from lows outside of jump in’s.

Well unless you play marvel :rofl:

Indeed, especially considering only a few characters come to mind with low launchers in Tekken. The timing is usually strict as well.

It is worth mentioning that low launchers are usually extremely slow and easy to spot (Lili, Bryan).

UNLESS you’re playing online, where people will spam them because you can’t react.