Beginner match analysis / gameplay critique thread

Nice to see some responds to my old vid from 2 months ago, I have actually been working on my game a lot after posting it, and I think I’m a better player now though still not good yet. The advice about always asking myself why I do stuff is still valid. It’s one of the things I dont do enough instead I mostly just react to what the other person is doing and try to adjust from there. But thinking of what to do next before I even attack and what my opponents and own options are after that is something I will definitely keep in mind more, thanks.

Back then there were people posting videos with not too many people replying; now there are people looking to check out videos but no one posting new videos.

I am glad to hear that. care to post current vids?

haha, it’s a shame because it’s a really good opportunity to get good feedback.

yeah sure, I’ll see what I can do.

DealsWithIt Analysis
First I’m going to start out with your gameplay from what I’ve seen in those matches and what areas you need to improve in and then i’m going to move on to match up discussion and the match ups that I will be discussing will be Dee Jay, Blanka, Guile, Juri, and what you should do in those match ups. While I’m at it we can also discuss the character Ryu and his basic gameplan.

Gameplay-
Since your playing Ryu you should not be jumping around alot you should be patient and you want to zone your opponent out by using Ryu’s strong zoning and spacing you don’t want to go to them. I also see that your opponents was jumping a lot on you that is not a good thing because Ryu has on of the best anti airs in the game which is his Shoryuken so you generally want to practice on your reaction time so you can anti air consistently that just takes training and experience and you will learn it over time. Also work on your block strings and frame traps alot of times your opponents was jumping out of your strings which should not be happening and switch it up too don’t let your opponent feel comfortable with the same block strings use different ones and grab them every once and a while. Once you start getting into your opponents head with frametraps, throws, cross ups, overhead, then that’s when the fight is in you favor and start playing mind games with them. Another thing you should work on is your punishes you NEVER want to punish a unsafe move with a sweep you need bigger damage than that I mean sure a sweep is a unteachable knockdown and all but there are bigger damaging combos that can lead into a unteachable knockdown other than just a sweep. For example one of Ryu’s most damaging and basic combo is Solar plexus strike into HP Shoryuken it’s really basic but it’s very damaging and there’s a very low risk of dropping it but that doesn’t punish every move so you should learn Frame Data for that. Ryu’s main pokes are Cr MK and Cr MP and never do a fullscreen tatsu or burn meter recklessly Meter Management is very important for Ryu
here are some of some basic punish combos for Ryu.
Cr Lp, Cr Lp, Cr Lp, Cr Mk into HK Tatsumaki
Cr Lp, Cr Lp, Cr Lp, into Sweep
Cr Mp, Cr Mp into Sweep
Cr Hp into Hp Shoryuken
Cr Lp, Cr Lp, Cr Hp into HK or EX Tatsu
Cr Mk into HK Tatsu
Cr Mp, Cr Hp into HP Shoryuken or Tatsu
Cr Lk, Cr Lp, Cr Hp into Tatsu or Sweep

Here is a link to the Frame Data for all of the characters you should read this it is very important if you want to become good

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV_AE

Here are a couple of matches so you can get a understanding of the things I discussed
[media=youtube]y1aQ4J6gz7w[/media]
[media=youtube]U7_b1aMJHDA[/media]
[media=youtube]Ee75o3HIHdg[/media]
[media=youtube]RTZq2XJVTYs[/media]
[media=youtube]YiKevgMINRA[/media]

Air’s tutorial on Ryu
[media=youtube]tcMVI-7cn04[/media]

VesperArcade’s channel where he discuss multiple areas with Super Street Fighter IV and techniques such as plinking
http://www.youtube.com/user/VesperArcade

Black Vegeta and YogaFlame24 channels for fight examples

UltraChenTV channel that discuss the mechanics of the game for beginners
http://www.youtube.com/user/UltraChenTV

I will finish this post later on once I get the time again and I will discuss the matches and what you could do to improve but for now here is Air’s website where he goes over Ryu match ups, Fundamentals, Spacing, His experiences and much more it’s one of the best websites when it comes to Ryu and great for beginners and people who want to improve with Ryu.
http://www.airryu.com/
Top Ryu players to watch/follow
Daigo Umehara
Alex Valle
Air
Laugh
Dakou

Things to practice in training mode

1. Shoryuken consistency
  2. Hit Confirming off of Normals
  3. Shoryuken FADC Ultra
  4. Anti Airing
  5. Higher damaging combos
  6. Blockstrings
  7. Spacing- Throws
    One thing you can do to practice hit confirming is to set the training dummy to random blocking so you won’t know when your moves are going to connect this will help your hit confirming alot and while it’s set on random blocking practice your set ups on knockdown and react to the trainign dummy blocking it or not.

Pros
-For your level you kind of have a general idea of what to do with Ryu

• Your patient and you don’t mash that’s a good sign of discipline
  • You know what Ryu’s main pokes are
  • Your blockstrings are good for a beginner I don’t see a lot of Ryu’s on that level do that

Cons

• You jump alot and for a Ryu players that’s a habit your going to have to stop if you want to improve with Ryu.
  • You don’t adept very quickly and crack under pressure sometime I see
  • You use sweep to punish everything which is very bad for damage and a clean punish
  • You miss a lot of anti airs and if you want to become good with Ryu you have to become good with anti airing
  • You don’t FADC from the matches I have seen there are tutorials for that and go into training mode to practice doing it it’s very important with Ryu’s gameplan
  • You use too much meter at times you really want to work on Meter Management that’s very important for a zoning character like Ryu
  • You let your opponents get away with a lot of unsafe move’s (Blanka’s slide, Dee Jay up punches, Juri’s HK and EX Divekick) Don’t let your opponent abuse unsafe stuff always punish them so learn frame data so you can know what moves are safe, recovery and start up, active frames, etc
  • You tend to use the same blockstrings switch it up a bit so your opponent won’t be aware of your play style
  • You don’t throw a lot and that’s pretty bad because your opponent can just down back and not worry about getting thrown so make sure to add that to your gameplay.

Hope this helps I really hope you will become a good Ryu player in the future even though Ryu is not my main I tried my best to help you out from what I know you have a bright future ahead of you just keep at it, keep training, watch top players and videos and you will be good Ryu might be one of the beginner character but at a high level he can be one of the hardest characters to play. Also check out the Ryu forum here so you discuss stuff with other Ryu players and they know a lot of stuff with him as well and they discuss a lot of match ups and other stuff.

Good luck in the future!

[media=youtube]ELQmUJRdcxo[/media] There you go , I started playing on XBL a month ago so thats why my SN is different

hopefully its still watchable, when i was recording the sun sorta shined on my camera so it kept refocusing at the beginning

wow, you have improved more than the last vid, even styling on the poor cammy player. good stuff
nice bait @ 03:25

Holy shit @ 3:48 you can pull off that combo?! damn you are alot better
6:33 cue that Guile theme, TA TARA TARA. TA TA TARA TARAAAAA!

1. stop the air tatsu, it has no use for sakura, makes her float and easy to anti air, unless you jump over a fireball and you are sure that it will land.

let me give you a hint on what you need to work on and that is the whole video you only anti aired a jump in ONCE!!!
Sakura crouch hard punch is one of the best anti-air move in the game.

TRAINING SESSION
Go to training and set the dummy to jump in and attack with a heavy attack, then press crouch hard punch to anti air, do this 100 times a day
after that go into endless walk to outside sweep range and expect your opponent to jump then anti air. just this training alone will bost your win rate by 100%

Yeah I noticed this too, the cammy player basically jumped in for free against me along with everyone else xD. I’m very inconsistent with this so should definitely work on that.

I tried messing around with air tatsu after I’ve seen some local guy use it to train his opponents into getting used to the trajectory then mixing it up with normal jump ins to catch them off guard. Or I to try and land behind them, when they dont expect it, and bait out an anti air, but I probably need to figure out how to space it better

yeah, I believe that fixing your anti air will surely help ya. have you seen my blog?
here is my first assignment for you, learn these mixups well
[media=youtube]qzzs6H9Xhf8[/media]

Hey, I’m a casual player and I’m not great in some fighting games. I started playing street fighter 4 for almost 8 months now and I have improved a little bit, but I need to do a lot more to improve my skills and my execution is terrible.So, here is two videos of me playing and I hope to get some advice. Thanks. Also, sorry for the lack of audio in the videos.

[media=youtube]YOpK7oBJW6M[/media]

[media=youtube]Ri3y15oeIqs[/media]

oh yeah I already know those, I just barely use them unless its in the corner, because most good players know how to counter them

I usually don’t quote the videos but I’ll quote these two for a purpose and so you can see what I’m talking about

For anyone still trying to find a way to record videos, notice how the screen gets blurry during the refocusing, but even when its blurry you can still easily see that blurry Sakura is doing c.lk or c.mk or s.hk, because even blurry those moves are hard to mistake for anything else, so its not doing anything major stop someone watching it from giving accurate advice.

So this is why I think a video thread is needed. If a Rose player posted a thread saying I need help, I probably wold not have said “you should lay off of the EX spirals some” because I probably wouldn’t have known about the ex spirals from the description,which would have been followed by generic advice about spacing and practice and which normals are good for Rose, but while watching this video all I could think is “Holy hell, thats a lot of EX spirals”, which in turn is more helpful to both the person trying to help and the person looking for help when you can give them advice specifically based on how they play.

BTW theres more stuff that I noticed but I’ll let other people reply

For an 8 month old player you are quite better than most, I know because I was a superscrub for almost 2 years, here are a few pointers

[LIST]
[]familiarize yourself with rose’s escape options rather than using ex soul spiral, you waste meter and its unsafe especially against the shoto army with 3 frame dp
[
]Learn what Rose best pokes are, her standing hard kick and medium kick are super useful and her slide at max range is both a great move and hard to punish, use them well
[]You are not so bad at anti airing but you still need to work on it
[
]You need to learn your punish combos so you do them on reaction
[]also never do her ultra 2 on your wakeup if your opponent is very close to the ground, meaty attacks beats it
[
]You also need to practice how to tech throws.
[/LIST]
Generally you are on the path of improvement, once you learn how to anti air and to defend well then you limit is the sky. feel free to add me on skype for free lessons. my id is ugo_2u

Def ease up on the EX drill use, it’s actually easy to interrupt. You could jump less too, and activating U2 without a setup/from too far away is usually not a good idea either.

Feel free to use the Rose vid thread for postings and questions too. http://forums.shoryuken.com/t/psychic-hotline-rose-video-thread/54063page-54

Stevoarome

General
Your Rose is pretty good for someone who is just starting out with her. From what I saw, you need to work on your punishing combos, ex spiral usage, spiral spacing and teching.

Execution/Combos
Rose has a good selection of punishing combos and they are crouching medium punch xx soul spiral, Crouching light punch xx cr.lk xx crouching medium punch into soul spiral, cr lp xx cr. lp xx cr. lk xx cr.mp xx ex spiral or spiral depending on the character are all good to use.
Since you aren’t too confident in your execution I suggest that you try to do these combos 5 times in a row to see if you can get it without messing up. Once you can do a set of 5 multiple times then you should raise it to 10 and so on. Another thing I should add is that you do everyones special moves and learn how and when to punish them.

Reveral usage
The next thing I should go over is ex spiral usage. You should only use ex spiral on moves that take a little time to start up and recover. For example you can punish moves like ryu’s crouching medium punch when he tries to use it on your wake up or his crouching medium kick. I suggest that you almost never try to use ex spiral if you know your opponent will use a move with a quick start up like a jab. That can be used to bait an ex spiral and you can get punished for it.
This move isn’t your only wake up move that you should go to. I saw that you where using ex spiral on wake up when your opponent was jumping in at you. Unless your opponent is at the top of their jump arc and they don’t have a low arc you should use it to get yourself out of the corner other wise you should use ex soul throw. It is a reliable move but it is best to use it late sometimes because it can be hit out of if timed wrong.

This is a video in which I lost the round because I used an ex spiral in the wrong way. Skip to 13:50 to see it.

[media=youtube]ZI236D6sCYw[/media]

Spacing your spirals

When you are using soul spiral to apply minor pressure with Rose, you should remember to always have it hit at the tip of the spiral so that you can make it difficult to punish on block from there. I should advise you that a good amount of characters can still punish it with certain normals. For example cody can punish a blocked soul spiral with a crouching light kick and he can hit confirm that into a HK ruffian. From there he can choose to start his pressure game with his frame traps or he can Focus attack dash cancel (FADC) his ruffian into his ultra 2. Never use a spiral up close where its right in your opponents face. When it is blocked like that you can lose up to 50% of your life like that in some situations.

When and where to use Ultra 2
When you use ultra 2 you should either use it on a knock down like you did in your first video with ryu so you can create your own mix up games ,you can use it if you hit your opponent with a fireball and you can use it as an anti air. When you are using the soul throw mix up be very careful because if your opponent is smart enough, they can use their anti airs to get a free hit or a knock down resulting in you being pressured. A safe way to use ultra 2 is after a knock down you use u2 sit on down back while waiting for an opening in the orbs to throw your opponent. Sometimes just sitting there and doing nothing is very helpful. People like to poke her out of u2 but if she is sitting there it is free damage for her. If they get hit by an orb I suggest you make a combo out of their mistake. This is something I suggest that you do in practice mode first since the timing can be a little odd at first.

The Rose section is currently constructing new write ups for each character and we have the ryu one ready as for the ken match up… I will explain that to you.

Rose vs Ryu
To start here is the link to the ryu match up and the next one is to all the current written match ups
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=16zyji7VpVVWbZsvW_zZ8wf5ov9WYIrbh_wZ8RuHJ9ys

Rose vs Ken
Matchup Figure: 6/4

In this match up Rose has the better footsie tools to use against ken. She has her Crouching medium punch, crouching medium kick, standing medium kick, standing fierce kick, and her far standing hard punch. In this match up ken flat out loses the fireball war against Rose. She can either reflect them or absorb them. You should be doing both while throwing in your own fireballs every now and then. The next thing that happens in this match is that ken loves to use his step kick to get in. I suggest you learn how to Focus absorb the attack at the tip of the move so that you can continue to play keep away. You do have moves that can go under his step kick like her slide and her crouching medium kick. You can use those to make ken realize that his step kick comes in at with a risk. Another thing you should watch for in this match up is that

Overview
This match up you have an advantage over ken with your footsies. The main test is knowing how to keep him out and dealing with his pressure.

Pros
Ultra 1 is a very damaging punish for poorly spaced fireballs and blockstrings ending in normal fireballs. Rose should use is as an anti air on ken’s poorly spaced tatsus. She shouldn’t use it as an anti air any where else because ken can use his tatsu to fly to the other side of the screen.
Ultra 2 serves its standard purpose as a way to gain space or to set up mixups. However, activating it from far away is a good way of wasting this Ultra because Ken can stuff the orbs with his own projectiles just like any other projectile user. This is the better Ultra in this matchup because it provides Rose opportunities and tools she doesn’t typically have.

Cons
-Ken’s mix up game is difficult to deal with without meter.
-His ultra 1 can blow through her strings.
-Some of his air normals can stuff her normal anti airs.

Far-Range/Fireball Game
Rose shuts down Ken’s fireball zoning completely. Just like Ryu, ken can only throw fireballs as blockstrings or around the footsies range. Any fireball thrown from outside of the range of Rose’s st. HK can be reflected on reaction. Be careful not to pull the distance too far however as Ryu can then jump over reflected fireballs and Rose will not be able to anti-air.
Slide can be used to stuff close-ranged fireballs but requires a healthy amount of prediction and can be punished if whiffed or spaced incorrectly.
Rose doesn’t have to use her fireball in this match up since she can use ken’s as her own but she should be using it sparring to gain meter along with her reflects.

Far range/Footsies game
Ken cannot do much at this point but use his own fireballs, step kick, and fake thunder kick to get in. Please watch out when he is using his thunder kick. For him it is a better option to get closer as opposed to his step kick in which he can get tagged out of it by a fireball and ken has his air tatsu to make close in attempts but they can be easily anti aired with soul piede when timed correctly. Other than that you have the main advantage.

Midrange/Footsies Game
Rose basically owns this area. Her st.mk shuts down Ken’s crouching medium kick just like she does with ryu. Her st.hk does the same thing.

Anti-Air
Rose’s standard AA options are all useful here but they require her to be particularly attentive. Remember Ken can stuff cr.hp out with his jump fierce when timed correctly.

Defending Against Pressure and Mixups
Ken is based around his tatsu mix ups, throw mix ups, and his knock down game. When you deal with his tatsus remember that you can focus dash away from it if it is spaced wrong, other wise I suggest you Anti air it with ex soul throw, cr.hp or block it. When dealing with his tech game you should know when he his going to do it. I say watch out for his throws when he is about his crouching mid punch distance because he will try to kara throw you or he will break a block string to do it. You do have ex spiral but becareful because he could delay his timing to knock you out of it with srk or an ultra 1.
You should also know that his step kick can tag you out of a back dash so do not rely on it much.
Applying Pressure and Mixups

Be careful about how you use Spiral blockstrings. ken can SRK through them since they are not true blockstrings. Also, he can do st.LK to make long-ranged Spirals whiff then punish with sweep.

Option Selects
cr.LP, cr.HK ~ cr.LP (Catches backdash.)
cr.LK-> cr.HK ~ cr.LP (Link the cr.LP, not the cr.HK. Catches backdash.)

Tips
Be on point with your anti-air and anti-fireball game
You must Be on point with your footsies and spacing
Learn how to punish air tatsus and learn how to tech properly since it is a must in this match.
Always be careful about pressuring Ken when he has meter and don’t take unnecessary risks.
If you have any other issues that you feel that you need to work on feel free to post here

Here are some videos that you can watch to help improve your game
Use rose’s soul throw set up to make srks whiff every now and then.

Good Rose players
Kawaguuchi
Keshikaran
Luffy
DRS filipinoman

[media=youtube]wV3xDkC8DoQ[/media]
[media=youtube]2OMdBA6-LS0[/media]
[media=youtube]ty1zI1PC6s0[/media]
[media=youtube]u3UYL-IvXYI[/media]

Hey everyone, been trying to play seriously for the last week. trying to get more serious about fighting games and im having the hardest time getting better at SSF4 AE 2012. Here is my noobish Yang video. plz any critiques will be much appreciated

[media=youtube]Oi92lRzRO8g[/media]

Thanks for the advices guys.

Not bad actually but in truth there are many things you need to get better at, anti airing and punishing your opponent, I can give you advices on how to improve but if you dont practice it will be of little use, so here is what I want you to do, go to training mode and set the dummy to jump and attack then you anti air them, do this multiple times every day
next practice your bread and butter combos till you can do them without thought.
head to youtube and watch Nemo yang, look for what combos he uses mostly and anti air, and what he does to get in and pressure tactics

Only a day and a half left for anyone interested in winning the Fightstick…

Updated my first post