Beginner match analysis / gameplay critique thread

cool I think I’ve seen that one before, going to watch it again and try and incorporate the concepts when watching other videos. Do you know of any other video makers who make similar videos like him?

Try “Vesper Arcade Super Street Fighter IV tutorials” in youtube. I remember that account is very in depth.

has some great tutorials

Hello i am noob, i used to play with ibuki, now i want to move on to sakura (i just started her yesterday) so i do not know very much.
i do not have any decent recording devices other than my phone, and you can hardly see anything off that but i joined some live lobby or something (i didn’t even know it was a live lobby untill my stupid brain read the host name) :stuck_out_tongue:
anyway you can find my nooby matches’ at
http://www.twitch.tv/srklive/b/326445818 (i think)
my match starts at 23:41:20
i know i dont know any combos with her but…err…i dunno i just suck (why does everything i try go so terribly wrong) :stuck_out_tongue:
i mean i couldn’t even do anything lolz

p.s. love you <3
p.p.s. no homo
p.p.p.s only joking about the second one <3

Theres not much to go by in the sakura match that Balrog was ALOT better than you and I don’t think he was playing at full that match either, it looks like he switched to sakura the next match for your benefit as a sakura player. He basically controlled the whole match so there wasn’t much time to see what you would do if you were given the chance to play your game.

Hello everyone. I’m a casual online player that started playing the game a month ago or so, but I’ve decided that I want to become at least a little better. So far I’ve tried to play ~5 times a week, maybe an hour per day or so which means that I probably got around 40 hours played so far, 90% of it online. As soon as I get more time I’ll start to practice more.

I use a pad and I mostly play Juri and Cammy.

But now for the video, some Juri matches I recorded yesterday while playing ranked online. These are totally random matches, I’m not at my worst but not at my best in them either.

[media=youtube]rZNqygFnFwI[/media]

As a Juri alt in training, I feel compelled to reply. Some of these things are things I need to work on too, so bear with me. Only watched the Cammy one, but I’ll continue watching the Ibuki one later.

-Jump less, try walking or dashing. Use pokes as well and not just fireballs. Juri has a good standing/crouching :mp:, standing (far, but near can be ok too) :mk:, crouching :hp: for antiairs, and so forth.
-This is really Juri 101, but don’t overuse EX pinwheel. It can be a good stuffer in some parts, but it’s also very vulnerable if your opponent avoids or blocks it.
-Also Juri 101, be careful with divekicks. Blocked divekicks are generally bad.
-Be care with fireballs against Cammy at short range. She can punish the first part (the leg lift) if you’re not careful. You can try storing the fireball (by holding the kick button you used acter the qcf+k motion, then releasing when needed)
-Use your pokes
-if you block a Spiral Arrow, punish hard. Same with Ultra. Round 2 of the first match for example, you could have blocked the whole Ultra instead of jumping away and getting hit… block and then punish with your own. Same for a missed and blocked-and-not-FADC’d Cannon Spike.
-Speaking of Juri’s ultra you got lucky with landing it on a Cammy jumpin, but in general out of the blue Ultras (especially long recovering one’s like Juri U2) are not so good. Learn to combo to it.

Edit- re: Ibuki match 2 and 3

You just sat there and got hit Ibuki’s slide and some other attacks. Blocked slide should equal a dead Ibuki. :frowning: No pokes or fireballs to keep her away as well. You got to punish slides and missed upkicks hard.

Most of the comments from the Cammy matches still applies too. Especially divekicks. Good for you that you’re landing them, but better players will block them, and that will get you killed.

haha yeah i guessed he wasn’t going too serious on me, if he did he would of just pummeled my face in too hard i would be unrecognizable XD
oh well, i swear i left playing street fighter for about a year and now i’ve come back to it i don’t know if i’ve gotten worse or everyone has just gotten better :stuck_out_tongue:
either way its been a long time.
but im trying to re-learn all the skills i’ve lost, i’ve just got to grips with linking properly again (almost) fadc’s are cake and sjc’s are not really that hard too. but sometimes my execution for simple special moves messes up, because sometimes i hit them with a medium kick (practicing tatsu combo with Sakura) but half the time the tatsu doesn’t even come out, i can do it perfectly in training and on cpu’s, but online it hardly ever comes out.
i used to be winning about 70-80% of games when i used to only play street fighter, and now that im back i win like every 1/5 matches. quite terrible, but i guess there’s no helping my terrible play lol :smiley:

p.s still love you <3

1 Like

How long was your hiatus? That can account for a lot.

1 Like

Man, if only I had a Capture Card and some form of HDMI to make it readable by this damn computer (my comp monitor is VGA, and my TV is a Toshiba MD13N1 TV/DVD Hybrid).

I could show you guys my match videos so you can help me out. Kikuichimonji has done a few matches with me, but at the end I could tell he/she thought I was super terribad. I really have no other way of showing you guys my matches without a capture card.

You have a camera right? I saw you posted a photo in the other thread you made, you can use that cam to record your screen. Thats what I did, after recording I just edited it in sony vegas to make it look a bit more presentable.

That wasn’t mine though - I grabbed that photo off the internet. I can’t take photos unless my mother is here to shoot them - and even then, I can’t summon her here everytime I want her to film my matches.

oh woops my mistake, I didnt even see the label in the corner, just assumed it was yours hehe

1 Like

New to SSF4 joined to try to up my game

Holy crap have I been busy this week any way, keep posting videos. I’m going to put more effort next week into rounding up people to help because I know there are way more people around here capable of looking at these videos and offering advice.

1 Like

I’m going to keep it pretty brief for everyone’s sake and because I’m not sure I’m strong enough myself to go on with authority on a detailed analysis anyway, but the Marvel match from xiceman191 hasn’t gotten any responses in all this time and I think I saw the core of his problems.

The main problem is that your Spencer is really bad; literally every game in the first 17 minutes you lost was because of bad Spencer play. You seem to have no real grasp of when to arm or not arm, you seem to struggle with basic Spencer mix-up and mobility, and even when you land a lucky hit you don’t seem to know how to convert. I’m not trying to be mean, but seriously, I didn’t see one good thing in what you were doing with Spencer but could pick out game losing mistakes you made with him all day. This actually taints your whole team’s operations as you often blow a lot of meters on Spencer or XF1 to save him and then end up worse off than not ever having had him since your Nova and Magneto have to do all the work with fewer resources (by the way, your Nova and Magneto are not bad at all and you are probably better with them than your opponent was with any of his three characters, though you should note that DHC to Super Nova is terrible outside of combos and you c.:h: way too much with Magneto and get punished a lot for it). I’d mostly suggest just dropping Spencer since he’s way behind your Magneto and Nova so he probably just doesn’t fit your natural playstyle at all, and it’s not like you use his assist so I doubt you’d even miss him if he were gone. Only you will be able to really know what kind of character should replace Spencer, but based on what I saw from you, I’d find someone with a good secondary assist for your team (the only assist you ever call is EM Disruptor) and someone with a hyper that’s truly safe to DHC into which leaves you with a massive number of options really. If for some reason you have a personal dedication to Spencer (which I doubt given the way you play him compared to your other characters), just hit up the Spencer forums and try to learn everything about how to play the character from the ground up; it shouldn’t be too hard to get a lot of info because Spencer is a very popular character.

I hope that was helpful.

I was beginning to think that everybody has forgotten about me lol. Thanks for the info I like using spencer so i definitely need to up my game with him alot thanks for pointng that out. I always have a habit of using xfactor too soon and like you said i do using c.:h: with magneto too much and ending up getting punished. Dont worry about being mean i put my video up to get critiqued and to get tips on how to improve don’t sugarcoat shit lol. Thanks for being honest i’ll definitely take what you said and try to improve on it.

I study Marvel but I don’t like playing it, I see things in the video but I would rather have any advice be given by people who actually play the game.

I am Akuma (white hair)
[media=youtube]ND9XXt_d23s[/media]
[media=youtube]2TkIocQ0A9g[/media]
[media=youtube]TVixtTtLddk[/media]
[media=youtube]BYt-Miunx8I[/media]

I knew that I did too many wakeup DP, big shame :frowning:
Thanks for the help in advance!

I didn’t forget about this I just came back from Summer Jam with about 3 days worth of work to do.