Becoming the Strongest Woman in the World (MVC3 Ed) - The Chun-Li Matchup/Team Thread

This post will be updated with strategies for Chun-Li while she is on point vs. other characters. Ideally I’d like the format to be something similar along the lines of this thread only for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (and thus discussing preferred Assists/Team Members for certain matchups rather than Ultras in the aforemeantioned thread).

Akuma

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Amaterasu

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Arthur

Spoiler

Coming Soon

C.Viper

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Captain America

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Chris Redfield

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Chun Li

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Dante

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Deadpool

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Dormammu

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Dr Doom

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Felicia

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Haggar

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Hsien-Ko

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Hulk

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Iron Man

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Jill Valentine

Spoiler

Coming Soon

M.O.D.O.K.

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Magneto

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Morrigan

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Phoenix

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Ryu

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Sentinel

Spoiler

Coming Soon

She-Hulk

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Shuma Gorath

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Spencer

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Spider-man

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Storm

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Super Skrull

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Taskmaster

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Thor

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Trish

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Tron Bonne

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Viewtiful Joe

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Wesker

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Wolverine

Spoiler

Coming Soon

X-23

Spoiler

Coming Soon

Zero

Spoiler

Coming Soon

That thread was very very useful and easy to use, so I’m thrilled to see one in the works here!

I think we should start with good/best partners for Chun-li, according to what she can/has to do in the match

That’s fine. So far I’m pretty sure Wesker is a lock for me for one of her partners. His OTG assist has been invaluable in unblockable setups, extending combos, and just general craziness. Chun-Li also lends herself well to him on point as LL locks people down for Wesker to easily cross them up, and considering how hard he hits and how amazing his cross up options are, it’s like a perfect match. Finding a third proves to be far more difficult, although someone with a full screen projectile to allow her to advance (Doom, Iron Man) seems to be the way to go. These are just my general impressions in the first few days.

Dante is an amazing assist… His ice assist and jam session…

I am running X-23, Storm, Chun. Chun’s leg assist provides amazing cover/pressure to aid X and Storm’s rush down, as well as helping Storm if she needs to run away for a bit.

X-23 is using the ankle slicer assist, which allows for high/low setups with Chun and Storm.

Both X-23 and Storm can combo into a Super after an air combo (X with Ankle Slicer OTG xx Super, Storm with OTG Ice Storm), and there are many situations where you can DHC into Chun’s launcher super. (It’s kinda hard to explain when you can and can’t… kind of a feeling thing I am still experimenting with.)

Finally, Chun’s legs assist makes an insane corner trap in conjunction with X-23’s Invisibility super when a new opponent comes out after a KO.

I’m running a Chun, Ryu, Doom. any tips on what i should focus on in terms of team work between the three?

Not that i know a ton about the game but generally you’ll want to use either Chun or Doom on point. Neither character is very meter dependent and both build meter very quickly in BnB’s. Once u learn like the really nasty Buk Chun BnBs she can gain almost 2 meters in one juggle. Doom pretty much same deal. Can just OTG combo u all day once u get him down and builds mad meter. Which then u can use that meter to buff up Ryu who needs meter to be strong since invincible shinkuu seems to be his best aspect and way to pressure people and chip them down. Ryu stays invincible until the recovery frames of shinkuu so that’s just like a super duper version of a DP. Once u stock Ryu up with a lot of meter they can’t really mess with u sitting on shinkuu and with a decent assist will allow u room to get in and pressure. I’m not sure how the assist synergy would work so much but Chun is pretty much always have lightning legs assist and all of Doom’s assists are good any way.

well i actually used this team with chunli being my point character. so its her/wesker/doom make a good viable character for wesker or her to get in trying to learn more so i can build on them…

So far, my main team is Chun-Li/X-23/Magneto. I use X-23 to set up unblockables, and Magneto to help against keepaway characters. I’m planning on going through the entire roster to see what assists work best for Chun, because I feel like my team doesn’t have a lot of synergy right now. I know Wesker’s beta assist works very well with her, but I’m not interested in using him.

I’m seeing a lot of X-23’s in this thread and with good reason. Add Dante into the mix and you’ve got a nasty rush down team.
Knowing I wanted to use Chun Li I just had to find two partners and after messing with Zero, Felicia and few others that interested me Dante and X-23 were my two choices. If you haven’t yet for those that are already using Chun and X-23 try throwing Dante in there. I have Chun on her 3rd assist type (sorry dont remeber the names) X-23 on her ankle breaker and Dante on his 2nd one also don’t remember its name

Has anyone experimented using Chun with Zero’s Hadangeki assist? I think it’s a great assist for her, especially when Zero is powered up. I took out X-23 for him, and if I need to play keepaway, Zero and Magneto make a great team to do so (Constant Hadangeki + Electromagnetic Disruptors).

so far im doing chun/ironman/??? I was playing around with doom for that 3rd spot today and having chun and doom build meter for ironman as neither of them need it that bad. have ironman as the grenades ( Y ) which otgs for chun on the assist.

My team as of now is Wesker/Skrull/Chun Li. Wesker’s OTG assist is good for continuing combos and the same goes for Skrull’s OTG Stone Smite assist. However, I opt for Tenderizer since it has use for both Chun and Wesker. For Chun, Skrull’s Tenderizer assist helps with mid-screen pressure as well as a way to get in.

How does chun li deal with the hulk? The hulks I’ve faced so far all play carefully and look for an opportunity to land :snkc:( the big downward slam) into launcher into ridiculous damage. The risk/reward here seems far out of whack because of hulk’s higher health and very comparable damage( and super armor ). Right now I’ve just been trying iron man beam assist to cover approaches and then hoping I bait the :snkc: so I can block and punish. Any tips?

Actually I’m having the exact same problem. I dunno what Hulk teams you’re playing, but my friend plays Hulk/Haggar/Sent and it is a pain in the ass to play against, due to all three characters having good armored moves that can completely stop rushdown attempts.

I’ve been rolling X-23/Chun/Sent. My whole gameplay is centered aruond X-23 and Chun complementing each others’ rushdowns, while Sent is just there cuz he’s like god tier and can OCV with or without xfactor.

I wanna first say that me and my friend have played well over 100+ games so I think we’ve picked up many intricacies of this matchup.

1. Hulk/Haggar/Sent is not a keepaway fullscreen team. You can most likely stay mid range outside of Hulk’s :h: and :s: range. More specifically, standing outside of Haggar assist range is optimal imo. If you have trouble getting to this range (ie: he calls Sent assist and spams Gamma wave) just keep dodging and being patient. If he’s walking forward then he loses his gamma charge so keep that in mind. If he’s walking backward, then he’ll walk himself to the corner. Again, just be patient.

2. Spacing and timing seems to be very very important. I’ve had good success dashing in into blockstring ending with lightning legs and then dash back to bait Haggar assist. According to the SRK wiki, :h: kikoken (190k dmg) is Chun’s safest damaging punish for an assist, so use that. Besides assist bait, it’s also a decent bait for mashed :h: and :s:. If I finally see Hulk not wanting to push buttons after a blocked lightning legs, then I’ll call X-23 assist to hit low while I do one of the below
    -triangle jump overhead of choice
    -f+:h: to crossup and/or hit high

But this is only if I am over 9000% positive Hulk will not be pushing buttons. I dunno what you mean by “very comparable damage” but any mistake on my part, and I mean ANY mistake, equals armored :h: into launcher into 2x aerial exchange to Sent followed by Sent’s air :s: into l.rocket punch cancelled into HSF, and possibly followed up by PStorm if I’m in the corner. By then my character is near death. My opponent can also choose to downright kill my character if he wanted to with XFC.

Hmm now that I think about it, I may not have been very helpful, sorry. But this matchup definitely looks like a bitch and even the SRK wiki says Hulk/Haggar/Sent is a hard counter to rushdown-centered teams. My only advice is to find ways to bait :h: and :s: and punish as hard as you possibly can. If you have Sent on your team, this usually means 2x aerial exchange to him and finish with HSF.

ive been messing around with chun a lot lately, and almost like her as much as taskmaster.

so most likely I’ll be using chun and task, but I can’t decide on a good 3rd option (chun assist with lightning legs, task with parabolic arrows). for me it’s between: doom, akuma, dante, phoenix, viper, haggar, and captain. who do you guys think would be a better fit?

*I’d prefer if sentinel wasn’t suggested as the third piece of this team, since I could care less about him unless I’m fighting him. same for amaterasu.