"Becoming the strongest woman in the world!" Chun-li Match-up Thread

I disagree on U1 vs Rufus. The only time you can reliably expect to land U1 in that matchup is if he does something stupid like full-screen Tornado or cr.HP (which is Ultra punishable even on hit, although if it hit you, you probably won’t have charge).

The full-screen Tornado, a smart Rufus won’t do, and a Rufus who knows what he’s doing won’t cr.HP if you have Ultra 1 stocked. Those things don’t really affect his game much.

Ultra 2, on the other hand, does.

If your reactions are good, Chun’s df+LK beats Rufus’ Dive Kick pretty cleanly, and sets up a juggle state for Ultra 2. If you demonstrate to Rufus you can do this reliably, he has to change his gameplay strategy because all of a sudden his divekicks are useless, and without them Rufus doesn’t have much in the way of offensive pressure. At that point all you have to do is bait out EX Messiah to drain his meter and then rush that shit down.

Also, remember not to jump too much in the Rufus matchup unless he’s already in the air - his j.HK > Ultra 1 still hits hard despite getting nerfed, as does j.HK > EX Snake Strike, and his U2 will suck you out of the air if you’re reckless.

Other stuff:

Zangief:
You can Reversal Hosenka ANY Banishing Flat, not just EX. If you have Ultra 2, then just EX Legs > Ultra 2 (or if you want to be fancy, cl.HK xx EX Legs > Ultra 2)

Akuma:
On block, his Sweep gives you enough time to punish with Ultra 1. Granted, he can cancel its recovery into Ultra, but realistically the number of frames he has to do it is so small that I wouldn’t reasonably expect most Akumas to be able to Demon in that window.

Cammy:
df+LK also works against Cammy’s Cannon Strike divekick, although I feel like the timing for it is much stricter than it is against Rufus. Against Cammy, focus absorbing her dive kicks or air-to-air with j.MK, j.HK or j.HP may be a better option unless you’re confident you can land the df+LK into Ultra 2.

Updated to add info from SnakeAes. I could really use some help on the newer fights especially guys!

Cody:

• Punish his sweep with Ultra
  • DO NOT underestimate his Bad Stone. That stuff does a shit-ton of Stun damage. Even against Chun who has above average Stun, getting hit with a few rocks is almost the equivalent of getting hit by Zangief’s headbutt.
  • As far as I know, ALL of Cody’s specials (except for LP Criminal Upper) are Ultra 1 punishable on block. So, if you’re close enough, after blocking just about any special you can mash out EX Legs if he’s close enough, then juggle with Ultra 2.
  • Also, this should be a given, but do not let Cody hold on to the knife. It gives him INSANE frame advantage as well as making most of his normals safe.

Dee Jay:

• Dee Jay has two pretty distinct playstyles. One way is when he tries to be like Guile, the other way is when he tries to be himself. You want him to try and be like Guile, because he’s not Guile. If you can get him to turtle (especially if you have a life lead) and throw Air Slashers, you can Ultra 1 through them because his recovery is not as good as Guile’s. His recovery is still decent though, so be careful about it and keep your Ultra reactions on point.
  • He has a very good short jump - his jump d+LK makes his jump trajectory really screwy and helps him avoid fireballs pretty easily.
  • Be careful walking forward behind fireballs against Dee Jay, especially when he has meter. His EX Double Rolling Sobat has pretty quick startup and goes through fireballs, plus it hits hard.
  • This requires more testing, but I believe the Honda/Blanka/Balrog safejump works also against DeeJay. Off a forward throw, dash forward and crossup LK. I believe (I’m about 90% on this) that it will stuff even his EX uppercut.

Dudley:

• Be careful of his frame trap lockdown involving his different MP command moves. That stuff is dangerous if you don’t have meter to get out of it.
  • I agree that s.HP and sweep are very good in this matchup as footsies; something against his rushdown game is cr.LK. Crouching Short will stop any of Dudley’s forward-moving specials except Super and Ultra.
  • In my opinion, Dudley’s footsie game is far inferior to Chun’s; HP works a lot like it does in the Balrog matchup against jumpins.
  • Both of his Ultras go through fireballs if he’s close, so be careful throwing fireballs when he’s moving forward.

T.Hawk:

• Zone T.Hawk like you would zone a Zangief, except when he jumps. When T.Hawk is on the ground, long range pokes like f.HK and f.HP are fantastic at keeping him out.
  • On block, Condor Dive is Ultra punishable (either Ultra), or you can walk up slightly and sweep.
  • When T.Hawk jumps, your options are: if he’s very close, air-throw or jump double-fierce > follow up combo. If he’s medium distance, forward jump or back jump MK are pretty effective. If he’s far, wait to see what happens. If he Condor Dives and you block, punish. If he Condor Dives and it whiffs, get out of there fast to avoid his SPD command grab (Mexican Typhoon). If he does nothing, whatever - leave it alone and wait for the next thing.
  • Remember to stay away - if you start getting backed into a corner, let him approach and then walljump away, since he doesn’t have a Lariat like Gief.

All characters on the first and third posts have information added (except Dan…) so we’re off to a good start. I added my own notes for T Hawk (aided by SnakeAes afterwards) and Rose. I’ve played a few Roses, but not recently (nor were they particularly good) so the notes are mostly what to look out for instead of concrete matchup advice.

We still need write ups for Juri, Gen, and Hakan, and better notes for Guy, Fei Long and Ibuki, but all matchups are probably missing things that can be added.

c.mp owns Guy’s command jump elbow drop/most of his jump in and his Command Dash -> HK.

Thanks for this, I was looking for new matchup threads and glad someone stepped up.

I’ve really been working on my chun game and have a ton of work to do. Lately, my friend has been playing Ibuki and wiping the floor with me. Her pressure is pretty intense and if you get cornered by Ibuki it is extremely difficult (imo) to get out/do much other than defend. I know most of my difficulty came from lack of knowledge on the match-up, but we played quite a few games and was still getting decisively steamrolled throughout most of them.

Any more tips for this match-up would be awesome. I feel I should probably take a more offensive approach, and there are tons of flaws in my own game. But getting some ground-work I can reference easily would be great.

I find the Vega matchup to be incredibly frustrating. At the range where I would normally want to use standing strong or stand roundhouse I get stuffed by Vega’s crouching jab all the time, which then gets combed into more crouching jabs, crouching short, ex wall dive. When Vega has Ultra stocked, it makes jumping at him very risky too. I’m completely lost as to what to do in this matchup.

What I try to do against Vega is stay out of his poke range, and counter-poke with cr.MK, cr.MP and sometimes sweep. If you get a knockdown, I’ve noticed that most Vega players will use the PPP or KKK dodge move on wakeup if you jump in, so the jump, HP, HCB+Taunt option select is useful if they try to do that.

If you don’t feel like getting in, stay back, throw fireballs, but don’t be predictable. If you get into a rhythm with your Kikoken, you are likely to eat an Ultra or a well-timed wall dive.

The first couple of times the Vega player walldives, focus absorb it and see what happens. If he demonstrates he’s pretty capable of landing the Izuna Drop (walldive grab), you will want to start hitting him out of the air rather than focusing. Neutral jump HK, jump back HK, back/forward jump MK all work well, sometimes airgrab and double fierce can work as well, but in my opinion aren’t as reliable.

When he loses his claw, turn on the offensive pressure. If he loses his mask and his claw, crank it up even harder.

I’ve played a Vega who has pretty good reactions whether you were going to air to air or focus absorb his Izuna drop. Probably part prediction part reaction, but he managed to beat me to the punch more often than I’d like when he had momentum. I find a solution that works a lot better is to not immediately activate focus when he does Izuna drop, instead move as far away from your position you were at when he activated wall dive THEN use focus. That way, you avoid being a sitting duck for Izuna drop, increase your chances of him using claw which you can focus, and you get to punish him with a dash in combo.

Where’s the Fei Long section?? I’m playing against a good right now and could use the advice! Lol

Haha, make sure you take good notes on the match up then =P

I asked a couple people to delete their posts earlier on in the thread so I can have a bit more room to add a general strategy section and a smallish discussion on important combos (since the old combo thread is somewhat outdated too) and tricky things like option selects and safejumps. A couple more posts should also put us in the clear on the off chance they do come out with some DLC characters. This will definitely push the thread towards being an all inclusive strategy thread instead of strictly matchups. I think that should be fine though.

Oh man, there’s one Fei player who I play regularly and he’s absolutely destroying me lately… I also need help on this one.

Good job ChaosHat though matchups change everytime in my opinion so general strategy is not good i think.

Counter and punish is more important

Added some general notes, bnb combos and a section for option selects. If someone wants to give me a nice list of option selects (what they’re for and what they do) that would be super helpful.

[media=youtube]FyIhS8_qNcM[/media]

MagMan put out this video full of Chun’s option selects for vanilla SF4. I’m pretty sure all of it is still relevant to Super.

Heres MagMans list from his Chun-Li SF4 notes beginning - end thread.

• cr.short, roundhouse~forward~short EX legs
  • j.fierce, HCB+taunt. Option select for double fierce/roundhouse hasan-shu
  • j.fierce. grab+fierce. Option select for whiffed land throw or jump double fierce
  • j.fierce cr+taunt. Option select for back dashers, punishes with sweep.
  • cr.jab 3K cr.short EX legs. Back dash option select killer

Thanks folks! Info added. We still need matchup data on a lot of matches, but we’re getting close to something that is pretty comprehensive.

Now if only we could get a sticky for this…

Abel :
Wheel kick is not safe so block and always try to punish.
Try cr lk ex legs or cr mk ex legs even when you feel he is too far
The only trouble is the range. If you have the super no range problem

Adon
U1 beat Jaguar Tooth before it reach you. Just do the ultra when he bounce on the wall.
No need to wait the last moment because U1 will “not cross under” Adon and “no risk” to hit him air born. It works versus any version

Balrog
Meaty cr lp is safe versus reversal U1 and reversal ex headbutt
but lose versus reversal ex dash straight (only this version)

Meaty throw beat reversal dash punch (any version ex or not) but lose to reversal headbutt

Meaty cr mk beat reversal headbutt and reversal ex dash straight and upper but not the other version and U1

Blanka
At very close range cr mk beat electricity

Cody
Cody players use Ex Zonk knuckle to beat your tech throw
Even if you delay your throw tech you are screwed
Not 100% sure but it looks like cr mk at close range make ex Zonk knuckle whiff sotry to throw tech with cr mk

Meaty cr lp beat all his options but lose versus reversal U2

Deejay
Again meaty cr lp beat all but lose versus U2, super and Ex upkicks

Reversal U1 punish Double Rolling Sobat MK, HK and EX on block but be careful though (active frames etc)

Dhalsim

Cr HP beat Jump HP.
Even if Dhalsim have time to block your Hazan Shu it’s good for Chun li and bad for him. Keep that in your mind

Honda
Shizza option select
http://shoryuken.com/f253/chun-li-strategy-matchups-166280/index116.html#post9226489

Viper safe jump:

You can use any knockdown for this, but you need to time the jump in so that you can hit Viper but still block block HP Thunder Knuckle if she uses it.

Jump HK (OS B + MK)

If Viper blocks, she blocks J. HK and you can block string her.

If Viper HP TK, Chun blocks and punishes.

If Viper EX Seismo, B + MK comes out and counter-hits EX Seismo. Hit-confirm the rest.

If Viper backdashes, she gets reset.

If Viper EX Burn Kicks, she crosses up but Chun can sweep her.

If Viper doesn’t have meter, she will be more likely to backdash. It’s OK to replace b+mk with sweep in the option select.

vs ibuki: Ex kazekiri can be punished with:

U2
jump straight Hp > U2
same as before but adding dash EX legs before U2

Safe jumps and Os vs ibuki:

Forward Throw: dash once, jump lk (OS D + HK) . EX kazekiri whiffs, lk and mk command dashes get cr.HKed, reg and EX neckbreaker get stuffed, both ultras whiff, backdash gets cr.hked, forward dash gets stuffed by j.lk.