Beating Dr. Shoals

Can it be done?

As Jefailey’s head increases in size, the odds of victory in this particular matchup seem to decrease more than in the others.

Dr. Shoals equipped with the YOLO Gem seems to be unwinnable given the size of Fail’s head from the beginning and his limited movement options and speed. The coverage on her kick and the ability to drop it at any time for a headshot means you can only respond properly during the first round as every one after that you’ll be stunned at the start and basically cannon fodder.

I’ve had some small success using the Kick gem and, if I charge before the round begins I can do a quick dive and kick under her and then turn around for the win, but in general it seems the only way to win this matchup is if Shoals makes a serious tactical error.

Anyone having any better luck?

I think Dr. Shoals is just a bad match up for Jefailey. Because Dr. Shoals can jump super high, and her Dive Kick starts off horizontal, all I think Jefailey relly do is move back and catch Shoals making a mistake. This game has only been out for a day, so I can’t really put much input.

This scenario was touched on briefly during Divekick #eSports Hour #9: NO MORE SECRETS EDITION at 29:13 (and again at 32:20). IIRC, they agreed that it was the worst matchup in the game, and that Jefailey’s best option would be to use his own YOLO gem to try and even things out. Even with YOLO it is absurdly unfavorable, but it at least 1.) boosts his mobility enough to give him a fighting chance in the first (read: only) round, and 2.) makes the pain go away faster.

I’d like to say more than the above, but I don’t play Jefailey or Shoals. Hopefully someone that does can jump in with more info.

I don’t use Jefailey, but all I can really say is that you have to go in hard on Shoals. She can’t kick after a kickback, so you don’t have to worry about a counter. The more space between you and Shoals, the more attack options she has during her horizontal kick. I was gonna suggest YOLO as well since you could use it to close the distance quickly.

I think since she has a super high jump, and she is equipped with YOLO Gem, she reaches an angle where Jefailey really cannot do anything.

I have found that when playing against Dr. Shoals, you have to be patient. Charge your kick and wait for here to make the first move, dive and then release your kick. Depending on the distance and the time waited charging you can usually get the hit. I haven’t played the matchup enough to say too much, but that’s what I’ve found.