BBR Tier List v7

New tier list. Olimar is a beast.

Discuss.

Guess I should feel a little better about using Snake now, though it IS rather strange to see him at 5. And I’ve been saying since the game came out that Olimar was the shit. Him and his cute little Pikmin have been bodying me forever now.

I only play Brawl to a casual level. Can some one explain to me what makes Olimar so good?

I think it’s his grabs… I’m not so sure. I haven’t played Brawl in years.

To be totally honest, I have no idea why he’s so high in this list. My thought is that it’s a gross overreaction to several Olimars performing well in the last year. He’s an exceptionally good character, make no mistake, but he’s not the second best character in the game by any stretch.

The reason he’s good is that he covers a massive amount of space with his Pikmin Throw and his smashes, as well as his grab and pivot grab. And his damage output with all of those options is staggering. That, and despite his weight he can live to absurd percents by mashing Pikmin Order as he recovers, since the move has super armor. He loses to smart aggression and he’s relatively easy to gimp, though.

I’m sorry but after looking at that tier list it is clear to me that the smash community doesn’t know how to make a tier list. I believe this because it is obvious that they either don’t know how to make a match-up chart or they don’t equate match-ups. My bro plays smash competitively and he says that olimar has losing match ups to marth and falco, yet diddy kong has all even match ups or higher. My top ten for brawl would be:

S: Meta Knight
A+: Diddy Kong, ice climbers, snake, olimar
A: Falco, Marth, pikachu, wario, (king dedede or zero suit samus)

LUIGI then Meta Knight

After that whatever you want.

Olimar was really really good back in the day, way before his jumps on the tier list. His range is absurd combined with his overall power, his throw range and power are amazing too.

The stage list is what REALLY makes Olimar shine. Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar aren’t being used as much in tournaments, as they were Olimar’s worst stages overall. The counterpick list is what makes Olimar scary as well, because in certain match ups, Olimar can just straight up beast certain characters for free.

This info comes from a competitive olimar (aka my lil bro). Basically what Fluga said is correct. Also Olimar’s whistle has a couple frames of armor on it so he can literally avoid some attacks from characters and it helps him get back on the stage. Olimar can also zone very well against most of the cast (which is great because there are not many zoners in smash bros), his throw can be used as a poke since it last for a LONG time and the pikmin is the hit box for the throw. Add in great smashes, good air normals and olimar is in the A+ tier (all be it not #2 but definitely top 5).

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Snake was NEVER top 2. He was just very high because he could zone very well (in a game that doesn’t have many zoners), and has overpowered tilt normals; with his up tilt and his forward tilt being his “smash attacks” pretty much. Snake’s main problems come from the fact that he has NO down smash so people can roll on him for free. This is due to his down smash being a clay more. Also snake can be gimped easily if he is thrown out of his recovery Up B. Don’t get me wrong he is still A+ tier in my list and top 5 but not top 2.

Sheik and Zero Suit Samus before their original counterparts, awesome

Never felt nor said he was top 2. I was merely saying that seeing him at 2 for so long and now with him NOT being there was strange. And yeah, he’s not unstoppable. He’s chain grab bait to the characters that can do it and I can personally attest to the fact that he struggles against rolls. He’s a good character and he has his strengths, but I never felt he was as good as the tier list suggested. He has a number of flaws(ones you stated) and he has bad matchups against enough of the top tiers to warrant his drop(Falco and ESPECIALLY Olimar). Hard for me to say if he should even be Top 5. Maybe Top 7.