Balrog Tech traps

Does Balrog have any Tech traps? I can’t find any on youtube or anywhere else.

As in punishing throw attempts?

Not sure if they’re ‘tech traps’ per say, but CS Fierce and CS Roundhouse is used a lot to CounterHit people going for throws during your Jab Strings. Failing that, Gootecks long ago made the ‘shimmy’ referenced to in PR Balrogs set with Tokido to win the Final. Basically it’s when you walk up to the opponent and pressure before backing off and punishing the response with CMP or CShort into a Combo, or SUPER. Works versus Throws but this isn’t really a Tech Trap.

Personally I like CSFierce - It’s hellishly quick for a Fierce Punch and while it doesn’t leave much combo’ability (Can be cancelled into SUPER at best) it hurts. Otherwise CJab into CSRH CShort>Combo.

I presume I’ve the wrong idea of Tech Trap though so don’t eat me if I’ve got the wrong idea.

He’s referring to blowing up crouch tech. You can use st.hk, or st.hp as good tech traps. st.hk is better though because it has more combo potential. Also, in AE they made st.mk? a good frame trap move. Jab works well too, if you can react and sweep after it. But, that’s insanely hard, ha.

in regards to the close st fierce, u can combo afterwards only on counter hit. the setup is after a jump do a cr jab, then do a st fierce. If u do manage to get a counter hit u have 1 frame to link into a st jab and since this is balrogs ghetto force stand combo, u can cancel into ex upper loops. however this still isnt a guaranteed counter hit setup because there is a 3 frame gap in between the jab and the fierce, allowing 3 frame moves or a standing grab to beat it

Wow thanks guys!!

I use it a fair bit after a blocked cr jab because you are still close enough for a st. rh. Then I usually either st. jab > ex upper > cr. jab, short, headbutt or just heavy straight if i dont want to use meter or dont have any.

watch jsmaster or pr rog for some tech traps lol

I use cr. jab and then plink a cr. mk from point blank range. link into sweep on counter hit. It’s a 4 frame trap so it gets blown up by characters with 3 frame cr. shorts.

cr. jab plinked to cr. strong is a 3 frame trap, but you need to hit the cr. strong close to your opponent as most people stop mashing crouch tech after a certain distance. If you don’t have charge there isn’t really anything you can do after counter hit cr. strong.(which is usually the case when fishing for crouch tech counter hits)

Now in AE, shit gets real. Plinking a CS strong after cr. jab is a 2 frame trap and you can easily link into a cr. jab into the combo of your choice afterwards.

Well… Personally I think cs strong in AE is a bit overrated:

-cr. jab > cs. strong seems to push you out of cr. jab range more often than I’d like.
-On some characters like Guile, the push back from cr. jab tends to take you out of cs strong range, and you get the (crappy) fs. strong instead.
-Some characters like Honda can duck under cs. strong. (yay for force stand normals that can’t hit crouchers)

Yea, It’s not perfect. But once I have the benefit of messing around with it in training mode, I’ll for sure be using it in a good number of matchups in addition to the other frame traps.

Well, personally I prefer creating a bit of space (tip of Rog’s jab range) before going for a frame trap because it’s a lot safer and more effective than going for one point blank.

Personally, I think point-blank frame traps with tiny holes (e.g.: 1-3 frames) in them are ineffective and risky. It only really beats people who mash normals, crouch techs, or non-invulnerable specials during your block strings, and decent players usually don’t do that.

When Rog is pressuring with his jabs, the only decent mix-up option he has against low guard is a tick throw. An opponent who knows this will counter with delayed crouch techs that will catch tick throw attempts, but won’t get blown up by trap strings that only have a small hole in them. If your opponent knows how to crouch tech properly, doing cr. jab plinked into cs. strong won’t get them very often. If you want to beat delayed crouch techs, you have to leave a wider gap in between hits, and doing that at point blank range is a big gamble because it leaves you open to a lot of your opponents options (DP FADCs, throws, mashed out jabs, etc.)

That being said, the traps you mentioned (cr. jab > cr. mk, and cr. jab > cs. mp, etc.) do have their place. :slight_smile: It’s just that they shouldn’t be the staple of your offense. :stuck_out_tongue:

i was wondering maybe this is not the right thread but i was looking to learn the rog match up i play viper & i dont really have to many rog players hit me up on xbl NGB Kloud

I’ve been doing shit like safejump j.rh (or just walk up on them), then doing cr. lp and then close standing RH. My issue with this is that if you get a non-counter hit with it, you can combo into cr. mp xx EX upper. If you get a counter-hit, it knocks them way back (even in the corner) and you can’t connect a cr. mp, but you can actually just sweep them or go into a raw ex upper (hitstun is that long). I don’t know the best way to handle it though because the cr. mp is a pretty tight link and it’s hard to hit it on reaction if you’re having to “buffer” two follow-ups in your head based on whether or not it’s a counter-hit.

It’s annoying but I don’t think there’s any real way around it, I don’t even think this needs a counter hit for it to happen - test it on a standing opponent with the roundhouse starting the combo and it’ll usually do it. Even s. jab whiffs for me.

I read in the Seth changes they fixed something like this - is this the same thing? I don’t play Seth so I don’t know but it’d be nice if this got fixed too.

What I do it start throwing out dem sweet cr. jabs, with just a tiny step forward between every 1 or 2 jabs, and I push forward into them like this for about 4 or 5 jabs to make them think I’m gonna go for a throw and then BOOM! close standing round house, combos into a sweep provided you get the counter hit off their crouch tech.