Balrog question: Option select super and frame Trap

I was watching an LA Riots video and JChen was talking about using standing fierce as a frame trap. what does that do exactly? does it keep them still so they cant move? and in the same match i saw what they called an option select super. Keno hit st. forward into his super everytime. how does that work? does that super not come out if its blocked? and how do you do that? i understand the theory of option selects but i dont know how to do them. i want to come up with some of my own but i dont know how they work 100%.

I have been playing street fighter since i was a little kid but i never took it very seriously so pardon the noobness.

Not sure about the standing fierce but the OS with the standing forward is that if it whiffs it does nothing, if it hits it will have the super come out.

The super WILL come out on block. Keno is using it to fish for counterhits or as a punish for various attacks (i.e. Rufus’ roll).

Just like Gillette said

You’re doing it far enough away that they can’t block it but, close enough that if they do any move it will hit them and cancel into the super.

The st.hp as a frame trap means that Keno was looking to catch crouch techs/button presses. Almost certainly off of a c.lp. If it gets a counterhi (optimum result of a frame trap), then close st.hp is +5 and can combo into st.lp into whatever.

yeah like dafro says. Also cs.HP forces standup so you can link into a ex rush combo. Also it’s got a faster startup then cs.HK so less tight window to CH a small frame c.LK that comes from a croutchtech. I like both they are both nice =]

Wow very good info gentleman my thanks. You guys are like Balrog Scientists! I guess then the best strategy for close standing fierce is to condition your oponent to be on the defensive either on a knock down or if they are just close enough. Now, if i try and do that on someone on wake up being me, I would probably eat a fat combo and die!

Today I was messing around with my footsies and realized that if I throw out a crouching med. punch and link it with a Jab Dash Straight, I get good results. If the poke hits, I get a two hit combo. If I miss, I just get a relatively safe whiffed cr. MP sometimes followed by a jab, sometimes just the cr. MP.

If there a fancy term for this?

option-select dash straight buffer

it’s just like ryu buffering a hado during the recovery frames of a cr.mk.

That’s not how that os works at all and I already explained to you how those types of cancels work in the other thread. Maybe you missed it.

HERE: Third paragraph, Sentences 1-8.

this is by far my most used option select. definitely ues it at least 2-3 times a match generally speaking.

as well, this will eat focus happy players alive

I’m learning more and more all the time. Thanks. Always good to take in some more of the sweet science.

I’ve recently been trying to bait focus attacks out of players when i’m within reach of the cr.mp just so i can punish with cr.mp xx lp.dash, especially if i have a super and can 2 in 1 into it.

i’ve also been trying to work on doing ultra on reaction to focus attacks when i’m in close range and have a charge, and specifically working on that has helped me improve with it a lot. i tend to see shotos always tring to focus more than the other characters.

hitstop, recovery…whatever. if you’re really going to be that persnickety about every post, you shouldn’t read SRK.
Everyone knows what i mean. chillax.

You know, the classy thing to do there would have been to say “Thanks xaaz. I appreciate you taking the time to share with me, a complete stranger, your knowledge in regard to an aspect of the game about which I was misinformed. I’m also grateful that you considered the possibility that I hadn’t seen your original explanation and kindly provided me with a link to it. Let’s be friends forever.

'cept i wasn’t misinformed, i just typed recovery instead of hitstop. you’re really derailing the topic now. it was a simple typographical error. the classier thing to do would’ve been to just ignore me if you don’t like my comments toward you.

anyway, the question got answered. this thread should be closed.

I am not sure if anyone even looks at these threads anymore but its worth a shot. I am having trouble with the standing forward into super OS. Seems to come out on block and I thought that this was one OS that was not supposed to come out unless the fierce hits? Can anyone shed some light on this?

I’ve been having a bit of trouble with that too. There is no way to avoid it coming out on block, if you’re doing it as OS and not just a buffer + reaction.

it’s talked about up there somewhere ^ but basically, you want to be hitting your normal outside of range(so it wiffs), if they hit a button and get hit by the st.mk then they get supered, if you wiff the st.mk then you don’t get a super.

You’re supposed to be fishing for normals with it. It’s a good move for that as well as it extends Balrog forward then puts him back into safety when it’s finished. You put in the Super cancel regardless because if it whiffs into thin air you won’t get a cancel, but if it connects (therefore, it’s definitely hit because you put yourself at the right range) you’ve got yourself a free super.

PR Balrog uses this at the beginning of a round in his games against Infiltration at this years EVO just gone. Check it out – PR Balrog knew that if the MK hit from that range it’s because Hakan did something and therefore was a punish.