Balance Update Discussion

I thought it might be a good idea to discuss what we think would be good balance changes to suggest for Rufus for the new update. By good I mean realistic ones that might have a chance of being accepted. So I’ll start by suggesting a few of the things that annoy me the most:

1) *Target combo -> U1 whiffing on certain characters from certain ranges. I think that if your close enough to land the target combo (st.lk - st.hk) then you should be able to land ultra from it.
2) Ex messiah going over some crouched characters. I doubt this will be resolved but I don’t really see the argument for not changing it.

3) Ultra 2 being punishable after landed as an anti-air. Making an ultra safe when it hits isn’t too much to ask is it?!

Those are the most important ones I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to agree/shoot me down and suggest your own :slight_smile:

I agree with 2) and 3)
Ex Messiah going over crouched characters definitely needs to be fixed, you shouldn’t be rewarded for eating a reversal. Same issue with ultra 2 where the character sometimes drops out(Corner, punishing ex psycho-crusher)

Other than those fixes Rufus doesn’t really need anything imo, he’s a solid character. If I were to ask for some buffs there’s only two things that comes to mind:
**1) **He’s the only character with such a huge hitbox and below average stun, maybe +50 stun?
2) His overhead isn’t that good, It’s 21 frames so it’s reactable, does 60 dmg and is -4 on block and -1 on hit, so a slight damage buff +10 dmg or change it so it’s +1 on hit so if you got a counter hit you could combo off of it(1-frame). It should still be -4 on block. I dunno, it might be too good. Wishful thinking I guess. :slight_smile:

I just want them to fix messiah wiffing on crouching opponents. Imo really holds him back in some mu’s, people shouldnt be able to pressure me when i 4 meters like i have none. Other than that just stuff to give him style points, maybe link from counterhit stand mk to ex.tornado doable :P?

Good point about the stun, I’ve just gotten used to him having low stun but your right he is the only big character with low stun. Dunno about his overhead though, being able to combo off it would be a bit much. I guess more damage wouldn’t be a big issue but it’s not really that important to Rufus’ game so it’s not something I’d push for.

Yeah like I said I don’t get the reasoning behind not fixing it, it basically gives characters like Ryu, Seth etc free pressure even when you have meter. Tbh I think unless lots of people bombard the Rufus balance thread when it’s created then this won’t get fixed.

Maybe we should just ask for dumb stuff like you said, perhaps give Rufus yet another way to combo into U1?! How about from GT midscreen on everybody! Or maybe bring back the ability to combo into U2 after landing the 2nd hit of j.hk, that really would be dumb :wink:

1. Fix EX Messiah.
  2. Give back U2 from Super.

That’s all I want.

Id kill for U2 from super, but i really doubt thats gonna happen. Super u2 was without question the best ultra in the game

All I really want is some character specific things fixed. s.HP against a crouching Blanka, divekick hitbox on some standing characters…

Bigger hitbox on cl.LP. Had this whiff on me because I wasn’t in range of fs.LP but not close enough for cl.LP to connect.

I really didn’t want another update so if Rufus isn’t touched I don’t care.

Super U2 would be great but it’s never going to happen imo, it was too good so they nerfed it. If they could just un-nerf it a little I’d be happy.

I guess asking for st.hp to combo on crouched Blanka is something sensible to ask for, I’ve gotten used to it but it is pretty dumb as it works on everyone else. Cl.lp whiffing is frustrating but not so bad imo, plus it only happens against a few characters. It’s only minor though so they might consider it I suppose.

st.hp on crouching blanka would be awesome, dont know why they havent touched his hitbox before honestly. cl.lp also absolutely needs a bigger hitbox, wiffs at the most inconvenient times…

The only thing i want is a slightly increase Ex messiah vertical hitbox.
Prevents EX messiah from whiffing at pointblank range on half the cast during crouch hit (and/or block if Capcom is generous).

If i could be greedy, i would also like to ask for a buff in close st.jab’s hitbox… abit annoying how it how it whiffs on several crouching characters.
Aside from those two things, im very content with AE2012 Rufus.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fighter/go/thread/view/7411/29831857/rufus-balance-suggestions

Ha the first few responses are all requesting nerfs, seems like people still think Rufus is overpowered! Although two of the messages also ask for ex messiah whiffing to be fixed so that’s good.

I can’t think of much to change about Rufus really.

EX Messiah needs fixing obviously because getting punished on hit is stupid as hell.

One thing that bothers me is dive kick completely whiffing against the lower body of some characters. It’s one the reasons I don’t like fighting Balrog all that much. Not sure how you would even fix that, though.

Yeah it is really annoying but like you say how could they fix it? They’d either have to fundamentally alter some characters by changing their hitboxes, or improve the hitbox on Rufus’ divekick (and that is certainly not going to happen). Tbh I treat characters like Rog, Dudley, Sagat who are tough to divekick on just like Gief or Hawk, don’t bother trying and just try to outpoke or look for regular jump-ins.

Yeah, I don’t really expect they would change anything for that reason, unless there was a way they could do it without affecting balance in any other way.

I just wanna say
http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fighter/go/thread/view/7411/29831857/rufus-balance-suggestions?post_num=4#530259577

I’m speechless.

He’s got a point there. Ultra 1 does add like 500 damage to every combo after all.

u1 dmg is ok it should be reduce a bit after target combo.

Andreas changes.

[details=Spoiler]EX Messiah Changes
There has been a lot of demand from Rufus players to fix Rufus’s EX Messiah from going over crouching opponents, I just want to say that I’m not In favour of this at all, in my opinion, this will make Rufus’s wake up game too powerful and thoughtless, since even on block EX Messiah can lead into a potentially effective mix up on some characters who do not have guaranteed options to beat out the follow-ups (example; Ibuki and Sakura), furthermore, not every character has a reliable safe meaty such as Boxers cr.lp which can recover in time to block a wakeup EX Messiah, and I believe that this will be unfair to those characters .

However, I do think EX Messiah should be changed so it does not go over characters that out right beat Rufus on the ground and have very effective defence options against his pressure, a good example of a character that fits this criteria is Seth.
Seth can beat every follow up of a blocked EX Messiah 100% guaranteed with Ultra 2, Normal DP and EX DP and can also safe meaty with cr.lk or cr.jab, so why does it make sense that in this case EX messiah should go over his him as well?
Other characters that should not be able to make Messiah go over them are Adon, Ken and Viper since they do perfectly fine on the ground game and do not need free pressure.

Another balance idea for EX Messiah would be to nerf the follow-ups by increasing the frame disadvantage of the hard kick follow-up from -1 to -2 and the medium kick follow-up from 0 to -1 on block, or reducing the damage of EX Messiah (flip included) from 140 to 130 in exchange for the Messiah to never go over a crouching opponent, unless they have a normal that they can use which lowers their hit box but puts them at some risk to make the ex-messiah whiff, for example; Rose’s crouching hard kick.

Why Rufus’s Dive Kick Should Not Be Nerfed
People who are asking for a height restriction on Rufus’s dive kick clearly have no understanding of how Rufus works.
Firstly, if Rufus was given a height restriction on his dive kick (like Yun and Yang) he would be rendered almost useless and would make most match-ups unwinnable.
Due to Rufus’s huge jump arc and below average ground normals, it’s important that he has no restriction on his dive kick to allow him to manoeuvre around fireballs and pokes and most importantly to keep the opponent guessing and on their toes.
Secondly, Rufus does not have good normals for frame traps, unlike Yun, who has good normals and a command grab, Rufus pressure revolves almost entirely around throwing or dive kicking throw attempts and crouch techs, if Rufus had a height restriction on his dive kick, he would not be able to effectively pressure characters with fast recovering crouch techs, such as Bison or Chun Li, essentially giving the opponent nothing to fear and thus making him useless ….because he’s not going to win by playing footsies lol.
Now for the people who are saying ‘nerf the frame advantage on a blocked dive kick’ do not have an understanding on how to fight Rufus.
Rufus can only ever be on frame advantage after a blocked dive kick if it’s blocked under the knees, and even then he has no true block string off of this, which means a reversal is still a threat.
Now if the opponent is standing and they block a dive kick on the head or neck, in most cases this leaves Rufus on negative frames, this means that a mashed 3 or 4frame normal from the opponent will keep Rufus grounded if he attempts to go for another dive kick and consequently can lead into a combo, therefore putting Rufus at a disadvantage and preventing him from ‘abusing’ dive kicks.

Other Changes

-Fix Ultra 1 so that opponents don’t fall out after 1 hit when used as an anti-air
Even if it doesn’t get full hits of the ultra, it’s better than the opponent falling out after 1 hit and being able to punish.

-Ultra 1 damage should be reduced from 460-410

-Target Combo into Ultra damage should be reduced from 425-390
Too easy to land now that it hits on everyone crouching and does too much damage on low health characters

• LK Messiah should never go over any crouching opponents.
    It makes no sense for this to go over crouching opponents; it’s not even invincible and loses to meaty attacks on wakeup thus making it very risky to use.

• Forward throw damage should be reduced from 150-135
    Maybe in Vanilla this was acceptable but now I think it just does too much damage.

-More range on crouching medium kick
Currently Rufus has no answer for characters with far travelling and fast recovering focus back dashes, more specifically Fei Long, more range on Rufus cr.mk he could prevent these characters from abusing this by catching the focus back dashes with cr.mk into EX Tornado before they can recover.

-More sctive frames on far medium punch and crouching medium kick

-Wishful thinking buff Make his offensive crouch forward medium kick roll +1 on block
Just throwing this one out there; would be useful against characters with 3 frame normals.

What Would These Changes Do?
I think these changes would make Rufus more of a balanced character by making his match ups more even across the board instead of being either really good or really bad for him. But of course Rufus players will have to accept that some match ups will always be an uphill battle cough nerf fei long please cough.

it might look like I’m trying to nerf my own character too much, but my thinking is that with the removable of unblockables and a good chance of most of the vortex characters being nerfed in version 2013, Rufus will be more than a capable character even with these damage nerfs.[/details]

I think hes right in almost all except the ex messiah, it shouldnt go over characteres “on hit”, thats pretty retard.

Yeah I agree, I posted this on the capcom forum as part of a response “would it not be easier to make messiah force stand on hit on everyone and then make it so on block it goes over certain characters that; like you say, have limited options even after blocking it? Just a thought, it sounds simpler to me but I have no idea how easy it is to change that stuff ;)”

As to his other changes I would have no problem with them provided other characters were also treated equally. If other characters receive buffs then Rufus would be in a worse position then he is now.

Ok here’s my list of things that I feel are changes needed and then ill post what I’d like haha.

So my original ideas

Ex messiah Force stands so no more whiffs midway through.

U2 wall bounces and then a hard knockdown

Divekicks hit box is adjusted to hit standing opponents better.

Health back to Vanilla or stun meter increased to 1000

Buffs that I’d like ( some are broken because fuck capcom for always ignoring Rufus )

Far standing M Kick active frames from 1 to 2-3

Ex snake strike damage from 30 x 7 to 40-45 x 7

Counter hit Ex galactic tornado crumples

Df+Mk hitstun changed from 3 to 5

Far Heavy Kick is a Command Normal now ( f+HK )

Crouching Heavy punch Block stun Inscreased and histun increase so its not punishable on hit and if blocked it isn’t as super punishable ( like cammys Ultra and chuns super etc )

Fadc messiah light kick follow up has more block stun so its safer.

If I think of more Ill post it.