Attacks you can punish on block with SAI

No, we aren’t talking about Supers, since that would be damned obvious, but attacks that have enough recovery or startup that with some drilling you can, on reaction, punish with SAI for the full 5 hits for some easy and relatively safe damage. I’ve been systematically going through the cast and trying to find this out to improve my game, and while I don’t have a ton of time during the day anymore to do so (college, go figure) I’ve compiled a list as well as a video of characters I’ve gone through so far.

The list is a work in progress, so if you know anything off-hand that I missed or got wrong, let me know so that I can save some time this weekend :smiley:

Additional list contributors:

aku

Video (part 1)
[media=youtube]CBWP9dmVGRs[/media]

Vs. Urien

cr.Fierce
Tackles (all strengths including EX)
Sweeps (NOTE: at absolute max range SAI will whiff the first hit and will not punish)

Vs. ALL Shotos (Ken, Ryu, Akuma, Sean)

Sweeps

Vs. Hugo

Lariat (Forward, Roundhouse and EX. Short CANNOT be punished on block)
s.Forward (if only the first hit connects)

Vs. Alex

Sweeps
Roundhouse Slash Elbow (Reversal only. Only if done at max range)

Vs. Elena

Sweeps (Reversal only)

Vs. Makoto

Standing sweeps (f.Roundhouse)
Hayate (All strengths EXCEPT EX. TAKE THAT, KARAKUSA SETUP >:D)

Vs. Yun

Zesshou Hohou / leaping punch (Depends on when during the attack’s active time it hit you. More than half the leap’s arc and you cannot punish)

Vs. Chun

EX Spinning Bird Kick (Reversal only, only at Spinning Bird Kick’s max range. Might be worth trying to bait Chun during wakeup and punish.)

Vs. Ryu

Sweeps
Joudan Sokutou Geri / the wallbouncy kick thing (all strengths including EX)
Shoryuken (Ryu must be close to landing for full 5 hits)

Vs. Ken

Sweeps
Shoryuken (Ken must be close to landing for full 5 hits)

Vs. Dudley

Machine Gun Blow (Strong, Fierce and EX. Jab CANNOT be punished on block)
Ducking Upper

Vs. Ibuki

Kubi Ori / neckbreaker (all strengths including EX)

I can contribute a few.

Urien’s cr.HP can be punished by SA1 on block. His sweep can’t be punished from like max range, though.

Any of Yun’s Dash Punches except EX can be punished by SA1 on block.

Chun’s EX Spinning Bird may POSSIBLY be punishable by a reversal SA1 on block, but this needs to be tested.

For Dudley, his MP/HP/EX Machine Gun Blow can be punished by SA1. Any of his Ducking Uppers as well.

Any of Ibuki’s Kubioris can get punished by SA1 on block, including EX. Keep this in mind against gimmicky Ibuki players. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure how I missed cr.HP. Re-tested, and yeah, sweep can’t punish at maximum range, but even just 2 pixels closer and punish is possible on reversal.

Re-tested, and yes, but it is dependent on how early in the attack it actually hits. At max range, even reversals fail to punish. Seems that the hit has to occur at or before the halfway point in the leap’s arc.

Re-tested and yes, but I wouldn’t try it in an actual match. It’s only possible if you are at EX Spinning Bird Kick’s max range, and even then it’s reversal-only. So you’re right, but hoo boy do I not recommend it.

With Duds as my secondary, I don’t even have to test in order to know that this is true :\

Tested, confirmed :smiley:

Great, I’ll add this stuff to the list.

Yeah, I should have mentioned Yun’s Dash Punch is best punished in close range. Like, if Yun does a wakeup cr.LK->Dash Punch. Newer players may find this unlikely, but you’d be surprised at the amount of Yuns that do this habitually.

Thanks for clearing up EX SBK. To be honest I never tried this, but I knew about the disadvantage frames.

vs blocked ex sbk i always try to red parry the last hit. if you have taunts in it doesnt matter at all. low risk high reward.

cool video! just make sure to work on your reversals. imo its always best to learn to do everything on “reversal.” less chance of error.