Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli

Asterios Polyp on Amazon

Has anyone else read this? I just finished it this afternoon. It’s pretty good stuff, if you’re into less traditional comics.

Mazzucchelli has worked on stuff in the past, like Batman: Year One and some Daredevil comics. He came to my attention when he did the artwork for the graphic novel version of Paul Auster’s City of Glass, which is probably the best traditional novel to graphic novel adaptations of all time. In fact, it’s much better than the original because of the ability of Mazzucchelli to illustrate emotions and the abstract so expertly.

I highly recommend everyone to check out Mazzucchelli’s newest book. Apparently, he self-published a 3 book series called Rubber Blanket, which I’m going to try to find now.

Yeah, I am gonna get this soon. I’m excited for it.

I have City of Glass, too. That really is a classic, but no one really seems to know much about it. Everyone else here seems really concerned about which dead guy will rise from the dead to menace the Green Lanterns. Either that, or they’re reading lousy Daniel Way Deadpool comics. Those unwashed fanboys are too busy for our good pretentious comics.

Haha, where you at, Painy, Clinty?!

Yeah, I’m a Literature major. One of my professors is really into graphic novels, so he and I recommend stuff to each other all the time. He recommended City of Glass about a year ago, and I pretty much fell in love with Mazzucchelli right away.

The only Mazzuchelli art I’ve ever been exposed to is the ‘Born Again’ story from the pages of Daredevil, yet he is one of my favorite artists to this day. I hadn’t heard of this until now, but I’m definitely interested…although I may be too much of an uncultured fanboy to enjoy it.