Assisted Seppuku: The Yoshi Team Synergy Thread

So. First time creating a thread. Go me. Might as well make it important, right? Sure.

Updates:
4/10/2012: added videos for teams: Lili, Ryu, Rolento, Kuma, Julia, Asuka, Raven, Ibuki, Zangief, Akuma, Hugo, King, Law, Ogre, Steve, Claw, Jin
Added some of Yoshi’s weaknesses.

I’m going to keep this updated as much as possible, and try and fill in info for characters that you guys aren’t using for three reasons: A) to increase my knowledge of all characters B) in case I find something interesting/abuse-able/otherwise noteworthy for those characters C) learning other characters will help me to strategize with Yoshi not only partnering with the characters, but also fighting against them.

However, there are a lot of characters in the game, and I’m not going to be proficient in using all of them, so please post any info you have with your teams, or link to any videos where you see Yoshi and friends. I’ll try and decipher or elaborate info including optimal combos and the like.

Friends are Fun!
[LEFT]If your main character isn’t Yoshi, and you’re in this forum you’re likely asking the question:[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Why is Yoshi a good teammate?[/LEFT]
[LEFT]For which I will have more elaborate answers later, but for now: picture related.[/LEFT]

Short answer: Specials that keep the opponent standing for multiple hits

[LEFT]Long answer: Specials that keep the opponent standing for multiple hits. Mainly windmill.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Why is windmill spectacular? First, it is his charge move, meaning you can dash cancel it anytime or charge to Ex/super. Because it is so strong, especially against characters that don’t have a projectile or any decent ways to advance without dashing/using a ground move to advance/jumping forwards, you can keep the opponent scared to get hit (or even block) windmill, and charge up to Ex to store a counter-hit fairly easily as you teleport around.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]It reaches nearly 3/4 screen punishing any whiffed normals, the opponent walking forwards, helps you catch people jump-backing into the corner, etc. It loses/trades to deep jump-ins, cross ups, jump backs, and projectiles (a few different possible trades with projectiles in close/mid range). However, it also builds a ton of meter whether it hits or is blocked. If it hits, you have plenty of time and options to do what you like with your partner character: start a combo that ends with a boost chain>launcher bringing Yoshi back in, or finish a big damage combo with that character. Some characters can charge their special to Ex or charge Ex to super. I believe all charge times are universal, but the startup of the supers are different, so some may not work. On block, wait until windmill is just about over, and then set up the mix up of your choice.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Special moves Slap U Silly and Stone Fists also hit multiple times and are useful for switch cancels because of it. Their EX versions have armor, so eat up a jump-in, and if you have a second meter tag in your partner for some easy, big damage. This usually ends up being a far better use for incurring damage through use of meter than through a super. The trade off is whether you want more damage that is recoverable, or less damage that isn’t recoverable.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Gehosen (SRK) launches the opponent into the air and can be switch canceled to continue the combo. EX Gehosen is also a pretty good anti-air and his alpha counter is basically the same.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Poison breath can keep up with single-hit projectiles from long range, but has trouble reacting up close. Lk poison breath is the fastest, while HK poison breath comes out the slowest, but results in a crumple on hit. Ex poison breath also causes crumple, and should be used to set up resets (not for loop combos, seriously).[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Triple Roundhouse is a fun looking situational juggle (check out Vulcan Hades Juri videos below for ideas).[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Yoshi is great at setting up potential damage for his partners. He can teleport around, and is unconventional and therefore able to surprise his opponents, even is he is often unsafe. Your goal in learning Yoshi is to learn his range, when to teleport, when to troll and punish with windmill, when to troll and punish with flea stance> headbutt, and how to condition your opponent for your mixups when you do get in. See the other threads for that info.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]While you’re in here, you’re probably wondering:[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]What are Yoshi’s weaknesses?[/LEFT]

Seppuku: Ending an inevitable Time-out loss with honor
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Yoshi can have some trouble getting in. He relies on mixups and often conditioning your opponent. He strives to be in the mid-range where his windmill is effective, as are most of his medium pokes. If you are playing Yoshi as the first character, you have to learn how to deal with bad matchups without meter, and be able to build your meter for a damaging tag/switch cancel combo while you do it. As Vulcan Hades points out, you’ll need to suck it up and take losses while you learn how to deal with all your matchups.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Yoshi’s fastest normal is 4 frames. There are plenty of moves that are faster and mashable on wakeup to beat your light normals. Therefore you have to get accustomed to waiting, baiting and punishing whiffed normals or specials. Yoshi’s teleports make this a bit easier than it sounds. If your j.hp is blocked, if you teleport off the blockstun on a shoto or a julia/hwoarang srk, they’ll be mashing and whiff. Of course as you get into higher level play you’ll have smarter opponents, but teleporting in the right direction or distance will be safe as you disappear, but not as you reappear.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Be sure to check out the matchup thread for more in depth strategy, and if you don’t see any info for the matchups you’re concerned about then ask about it or let us know what you’re getting destroyed by. We need all the info we can get![/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]So with this main post I’m going to compile info per teammate in the appropriate spoilers, and reserve the second post for videos with each teammate, also in spoilers. I’m gonna separate both into Street Fighter and then Tekken characters respectively, in alphabetical order.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Street Fighter Teammates[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Abel

[details=Spoiler][/details][/LEFT]
[LEFT][spoiler= Akuma][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Balrog (Boxer)

[LEFT][spoiler= Cammy][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Chun Li

[LEFT][spoiler= Dhalsim][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Guile

[LEFT][spoiler= Hugo][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Ibuki

[spoiler=Juri]Wreiteup by Vulcan Hades (videos in post 2):
Juri covers almost all of Yoshimitsu’s weaknesses. She has great damage output, great anti-airs, good zoning and counter zoning tools. So basically if there’s a matchup where Yoshimitsu struggles I can just tag Juri in and she’ll take care of those zoners.
Yoshimitsu has SlapUSilly, Stone Fists, Windmill, EX Poison Breath, EX Suicide and EX SlapUSilly. All of which keep the opponent standing. So his main role is basically to setup Juri’s ambiguous crossup pressure. Yoshi is also great at carrying the opponent into the corner (EX SUS, teleport when self cornered) where Juri really shines and rapes people very hard.
In addition, they are both able to build a lot of meter very quickly so they always have a way to remain safe on block or deal 450+ damage on hit.
Average damage output:
Meterless: 300-350 dmg
1 bar: 410-450 dmg
2 bars: 460-550 dmg
3 bars: 500-560 dmg
It’s not really practical to use more than 1 meter for a combo unless it’s going to kill, get you a time out or carry the opponent into the corner where Juri rapes. Using 1 bar equals 450-478 guaranteed damage and you build back a full bar of meter in the process.
Yoshimitsu has many special moves that keep the opponent standing so it’s often better to go for resets instead of very long combos because they deal 300-370 guaranteed damage for 1 bar and can potentially lead to 300 more. That’s a total of 600-700 damage for 1-2 bars which is better than the best Cross Art in the game. But the best thing about it is that you build back a full bar of meter in the process. So even if my reset fails I still get something out of it (meter building/pressure).
Pros:
+Great synergy (tag combos and reset potential).
+Fast meter building.
+Air control and ground control.
+Good mid-range and keep away game (easy to run away when you have life lead).
+Very easy to carry the opponent into the corner where Juri rapes.
+Juri covers Yoshimitsu’s weaknesses pretty well.
Cons:
-Yoshimitsu doesn’t really cover Juri’s bad matchups.
[LEFT]-They both have low health which means you can die very quickly if you’re not careful.[/details]

Ken

[LEFT][spoiler= M.Bison (Dictator)][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Poison

[LEFT][spoiler= Rolento][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Rufus

[LEFT][spoiler= Ryu][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Sagat

[LEFT][spoiler= Vega (Claw)][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Zangief

[LEFT]Tekken Teammates[/LEFT]
[LEFT][spoiler= Asuka][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Bob

[LEFT][spoiler= Heihachi][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Hwoarang

[LEFT][spoiler= Jin][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Julia

[LEFT][spoiler= Kazuya][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
King

[spoiler=Kuma]Writeup by Killonater-
Yoshi and Kuma cover each other’s weakness pretty well. Basic tag out BnBs lead to 600 damage with gems.
Pros-
Amazing synergy.
Very high damage.
High reward on any hit confirm.
Close-Mid range games are in your favor.
Mix ups on knock down.
Kuma has very easy combos that do stupidly high damage.
Cons-
Againist heavy turtles, some trouble getting in may come.
[LEFT]Requires proficiency with both Yoshi (execution) and Kuma (footies)[/details]

Law

[LEFT][spoiler= Lili][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Marduk

[LEFT][spoiler= Nina][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Ogre

[LEFT][spoiler= Paul][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Raven

[LEFT][spoiler= Steve][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT][spoiler= Xiaoyu][/details][/LEFT]

Videos:
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Street Fighter Teammates[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Abel

[LEFT][spoiler= Akuma][media=youtube]hlEEZmDQh-k[/media][media=youtube]hqbsDNVIkvA[/media][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Balrog (Boxer)

[LEFT][spoiler= Cammy][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Chun Li

[LEFT][spoiler= Dhalsim][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Guile

[LEFT][spoiler= Hugo][media=youtube]mn0ZlZNEf-w[/media](match starts at 8:30)[/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Ibuki

Spoiler

[media=youtube]c0Zsfmw-sjY[/media]

[/LEFT]

Juri

[details=Spoiler][media=youtube]mx1q2dr_yXg[/media][media=youtube]zFhNITfVPYo[/media]

[media=youtube]Si2hppnE0TY[/media]
[media=youtube]Z7H_y82_HOg[/media]
[LEFT][/details]

Ken

[LEFT][spoiler= M.Bison (Dictator)][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Poison

[LEFT][spoiler= Rolento][media=youtube]m-L17qKcx5k[/media][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Rufus

[LEFT][spoiler= Ryu][media=youtube]L5Gtul7s1BI[/media][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Sagat

Spoiler

[media=youtube]DTD8JP4qUNI[/media]

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Vega (Claw)

Spoiler

[media=youtube]Z11myLq0N1Q[/media]

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Zangief

Spoiler

[media=youtube]LeMHLZxOZ-A[/media]

[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Tekken Teammates[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Asuka

Spoiler

[media=youtube]oq3tGojJogY[/media][media=youtube]0lHVR01z4rA[/media][media=youtube]N2mK65XQbk8[/media](match starts at 29:36)

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Bob

[LEFT][spoiler= Heihachi][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Hwoarang

[LEFT][spoiler= Jin][media=youtube]i_YIZiH2SP0[/media][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Julia

Spoiler

[media=youtube]5QGQS6JL-xo[/media][media=youtube]rK9UPHNMI4I[/media]

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Kazuya

[LEFT][spoiler= King][media=youtube]kse8UokIcX4[/media][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Kuma

Spoiler

[media=youtube]YfNAZ4K-GHU[/media]

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Law

Spoiler

[media=youtube]wv4m2cL5WPY[/media][media=youtube]U7KEN3D1OP4[/media]

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Lili

Spoiler

[media=youtube]CgkXPIbNx_I[/media]

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Marduk

[LEFT][spoiler= Nina][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Ogre

Spoiler

[media=youtube]n7ILedWwaZg[/media](match starts at 24:41)[media=youtube]Z1lzKmWoA60[/media][media=youtube]wdrzjo7ZgPk[/media]

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Paul

[LEFT][spoiler= Raven][media=youtube]Kpx6PHPqXBw[/media][media=youtube]kTIzqqEtXpc[/media][media=youtube]32Vd3PE9Jd4[/media][/details]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Steve

Spoiler

[media=youtube]n7ILedWwaZg[/media](match starts at 28:03)

[/LEFT]
[LEFT][spoiler= Xiaoyu][/details][/LEFT]

Great thread. :slight_smile: I might as well contribute for my team:

Yoshimitsu + Juri

Juri covers almost all of Yoshimitsu’s weaknesses. She has great damage output, great anti-airs, good zoning and counter zoning tools. So basically if there’s a matchup where Yoshimitsu struggles I can just tag Juri in and she’ll take care of those zoners.

Yoshimitsu has SlapUSilly, Stone Fists, Windmill, EX Poison Breath, EX Suicide and EX SlapUSilly. All of which keep the opponent standing. So his main role is basically to setup Juri’s ambiguous crossup pressure. Yoshi is also great at carrying the opponent into the corner (EX SUS, teleport when self cornered) where Juri really shines and rapes people very hard.

In addition, they are both able to build a lot of meter very quickly so they always have a way to remain safe on block or deal 450+ damage on hit.

Combo video:
[media=youtube]Z7H_y82_HOg[/media]
Average damage output:

Meterless: 300-350 dmg
1 bar: 410-450 dmg
2 bars: 460-550 dmg
3 bars: 500-560 dmg

It’s not really practical to use more than 1 meter for a combo unless it’s going to kill, get you a time out or carry the opponent into the corner where Juri rapes. Using 1 bar equals 450-478 guaranteed damage and you build back a full bar of meter in the process.

Reset video:
[media=youtube]Si2hppnE0TY[/media]

Yoshimitsu has many special moves that keep the opponent standing so it’s often better to go for resets instead of very long combos because they deal 300-370 guaranteed damage for 1 bar and can potentially lead to 300 more. That’s a total of 600-700 damage for 1-2 bars which is better than the best Cross Art in the game. But the best thing about it is that you build back a full bar of meter in the process. So even if my reset fails I still get something out of it (meter building/pressure).

Pros:
+Great synergy (tag combos and reset potential).
+Fast meter building.
+Air control and ground control.
+Good mid-range and keep away game (easy to run away when you have life lead).
+Very easy to carry the opponent into the corner where Juri rapes.
+Juri covers Yoshimitsu’s weaknesses pretty well.

Cons:
-Yoshimitsu doesn’t really cover Juri’s bad matchups.
-They both have low health which means you can die very quickly if you’re not careful.

Contributing:
Yoshi/Kuma

Yoshi and Kuma cover each other’s weakness pretty well. Basic tag out BnBs lead to 600 damage with gems.
Pros:
Amazing synergy.
Very high damage.
High reward on any hit confirm.
Close-Mid range games are in your favor.
Mix ups on knock down.
Kuma has very easy combos that do stupidly high damage.

Cons:
Againist heavy turtles, some trouble getting in may come.
Requires proficiency with both Yoshi (execution) and Kuma (footies)

Thanks guys, I’ll update the main posts with your info when I get to my computer tonight. Good jerb.

Whenever I get home from work I’ll contribute my Lili stuff.

bump

updated the video posts with a bunch of characters, matches and combo videos.

gonna do some research on Yoshi/Abel, i’ll post up my findings soon.

Cross Assault Tech
Cross Assault Shenanigans:

[LIST=1]
[]Windmill into Partner’s command grab, recommendation: Gief’s Super
Not a true unblockable but with the timing right jumping won’t help.
When Sandwiching (opponent in between Yoshi + partner) you can do StoneFist/SlapSilly instead.
[
]Repeated teleports to break your opponent’s guard when partner is attacking,
alternatively partners like Abel and Raven can return the favor.
[]When Sandwiching, Medium Poison breath can be used to extend hitstun creating new combo possibilities for your partner and possible infinites.
[
]In corner or sandwich, you can charge windmill into super with the right partner doing a long combo.
[*]Since you get a free Super until the cross assault ends, here are 5 high damage ways to end your Cross Assault (When Sandwiching):

a) Partner sets up a Ground/Wall Bounce or Combo into G/W Bounce then Super.

b) During C.Assault, you block your nearest opponent, so if your partner does a block string you know/plan, you can perform a super just as the block string ends catching your opponent off guard.

c) A variation of (b) would be performing a series of teleports that end with you on the opposite side of your partner(Sandwich) just as the block string ends, then Super.

d) With Gief “on point” (C.Assault ends with Gief out), you can perform a block string with Yoshi. If your opponent does anything to succesfully escape the block string Gief can lariat for a free volleyball combo or Yoshi assisted lariat loop.
Ogre/Gief/Blanka/Guy/Ryu/Ken are the only ones I can think of who can hustle out of this.

e) A variation of (d) is letting Gief charge up his super, if your foe does anything punish with Yoshi’s Super.
[/LIST]

Team Synergy
Teams
Yoshi can partner with pretty much anyone, what is important is most important is your partner nullifies your Yoshi’s weaknesses E.g Yoshi/Grappler to compensate for damage.

Team Tech
Cross Cancel Tech
A lot of the cast have supers that can be easily combo’d after a Sword Poke Windmill E.g.Paul Pheonix.
Also check if your partner has a move that can cross cancel into Yoshi’s Super.
Learn how to capitalize on a cross cancel that has a Crumple, Juggle, Wall Bounce, Ground Bounce etc.

Yoshi/Grappler Roundup
[SIZE=4]Retrospect of available grapplers to aid choosing a partner[/SIZE]

[SIZE=7]Pros[/SIZE]
Abel
Mobility, Attack Speed, Roll, Anti-Air Throw, Armored Special, Armored Super

Hugo
Biggest Character, Easy Damage, Anti-Air Throw

King**
Mobility, Attack Speed, Jaguar Step, has Counters
Has Armored, Crumple, Knockdown and Unblockable Normals
Kuma
Big Size, Easy Damage, Hunter Stance, Target Combos
Has Armor, Groundbounce, Knockdown and Wall Bounce Normals,
Marduk
Big Size, Easy Damage; Anti-Air Throw, Target Combos, Unique Wake Up options
Has Armor, Launch and Ground Bounce Normals
Zangief
Big Size, High Damage, Handles Projectiles Easily, Grapple Range

Cons

Abel
Cannot perform his Super on reaction,

Hugo
Biggest Character, Mobility

King**
Very specific moves, prediction

Kuma
Big Size , Bad Air vs Air Normals, poor Crossup, Hunter Stance Proficiency is Essential

Marduk
Big Size, No Basic Anti-Projectile
Zangief**
Big Size, Walk Speed

Here’s a Christie combo video that shows some of the synergy with Yoshimitsu:

[media=youtube]j0C2FtgY_8k[/media]

Christie also has good reset potential because she can keep the opponent standing a number of different ways:

-ABC chain ending with s.hp xx Switch
-Rasteila Chibata (c.lp, s.mk, c.hk, s.lk) last attack hits twice so you can tag cancel it
-Hit confirm into Helicopter/Batucada xx Switch (Yoshi can then combo into HK Poison Breath for a free crumple)
-MP Wheel Kicks xx Switch (most damaging and can lead to a SUS/Windmill Reset, suicide reset or a overhead/low mixup
-EX Twister Sweep or EX Batucada (Christie remains on screen for a while which allows for funny and interesting situations)

Paul can get a full BnB from a tag cancel during Yoshi’s specials. A solid 380-400ish damage from one meter.
Both of them are very slow and it is hard for them to get in (where Paul shines).
Yoshi can tag himself in off a mountain raze or an upkick and follow up with forward roundhouse target combo.

Meaty set-ups from both characters can create some tricky tag cancel situations.

Both got great air to airs (Paul’s neutral fierce and jumping short, Yoshi’s fierce and air target combo).

Super low tier team though -_-

I think for the most part both characters are very good but they (especially Paul) suffer from the games designs (runaway, pressure).
I also think Paul’s groundbounce should be normal and not require a counterhit like Heihachi.

Sakura’s jump fierce/roundhouse have the dumbest cross up hit boxes I’ve ever seen, it’s such a free opening off a blocked windmill. Once they figure that out, you can do empty jump low into tatsu combo for the 50/50.

Fun stuff you can do, is when Yoshi lands a windmill, TC Sakura in, and do cl.hp xx lk tatsu, cl.hp lk tatsu, lk xx mk xx hk xx launch, Yoshi combo of your choice. It will give you enough meter back that you can just do it again, and if they’re in the corner you can extend Sakura’s combo even further.

Nice tech, too bad I won’t use Sakura. Anyways I found new tech today, not too sure where to post it, might as well post it here.

Yoshimitsu solo C.Assault tech
If like me you have no partner you can find this tech quite useful.
In a nutshell:
[LIST=1]
[](Opponent in corner) Combo into launcher (with Yoshi)
[
]Combo into cross assault with partner
[*]Immediately Super with Yoshimitsu
[/LIST]

It will give you about 500 damage + splits health if done successfully without risking happy birthdays
if your partner does an instant shoryu or something else to ruin it you’ll still do about 400 damage.
It’s good cause you’ll do 30% or 50% damage depending on your luck (partner randomness) and excecution.

Any midscreen followups Yoshi has are unreliable as your partner will almost always do something ridiculous to mess it up, diffence is; in corner only instant,high hitting moves like DPs will ruin the tech.
This tech is most useful if your partner cannot juggle with their super e.g Abel, Marduk, Gief or your partner has a lame juggling super e.g. Lei. Otherwise you want to use your partner’s super instead cause Yoshi does step 2 easier than many characters and your partner probly has a midscreen hitting and higher damage super.

This tech was tested with Lei, but characters like Dhalsim and Bison who don’t have ridicuous juggles will be great for this.

just curious for your input but how good of a fit do you think Dudley is w/ Yoshi? i know overall dudley is a great character but he does lack a cross up. and because of the amount of hits most of their moves do the combos those two would have would scale terribly.

I think Dudley works well with Yoshi. Simply because Dudley shines up close and he doesn’t have the best mid-range / neutral game. You could do some pretty devastating resets using Yoshi’s windmill/SUS/Stone Fists/Suicide to get Dudley in then do his magic with his scumbag overhead. :slight_smile:

Also, Dudley lacking a cross-up doesn’t matter when you have such a good overhead. Plus, he would be your anchor most likely. Let Yoshi do the ambiguous stuff and tag Dudley in for big damage and end with a relauch or tag back to yoshi.

Number of hits within a move doesn’t matter for damage scaling. Only the number of normals and moves you use.

thanks for advice. i was thinking of potential of resets and amazing damage i could get from them both by landing an overhead hidden by a windmill from Yoshi or a HMGB from Dudley, waiting til the last possible second throwing out the overhead and getting another full combo. the problem is learning the cast match up w/ Yoshi >_<

What you guys think of Yoshi/Ogre or Yoshi/Paul ?