Article series for introducing "e-sports" to the FGC

I don’t know what happened with MLG at EVO2005. Tell me about it, I’m curious now.

It was on inkblots old front page article. Basic gist of it is, when the MLG and EVO teamed up to host EVO 2005, the MLG took up most of the floor space despite having less competitors and, for all intents and purposes, tried to run the show.

The wariness is a relevant topic of discussion just not in the context of this conversation. This topic comes up 1-2 times a month in the Newbie forum. “Hi I come for the Starcraft, LoL, Halo community and am becoming more interested in fighting games. What do I need to know?”

What they need to know is
Find a game that they like,
Learn actual spacing, footsies, etc. and don’t mash buttons
Don’t whine that things that beat you are cheap
See if there is a local community around you
General rules for attending an event

They don’t need to know about EVO 2005 in an intro conversation about the fighting game community just because they play Starcraft.

I mean tell them if they ask, but if the goal is just to introduce them to the FGC then going into that area is just side tracking from the purpose.

This part is laughable because (a) E-sports (or more specifically MLG) has done everything they can to piss on the FGC and try to shovel their model down our throats, and (b) the FGC has long decided they don’t want to travel down the direction of E-sports and will never bulge, it’s up to the E-sports folk to decide if they want to travel up the direction of the FGC and give us what we want.

It’s irrelevant in the big picture, because there’s already more than enough things to complain about in their recent efforts.

I think it’s important they know about important figures on SRK not being able to argue without taking sentences out of context, given this thread.

Lovely.

You should also do some articles explaining eSports to the FGC audience. All they know is they hate eSports because they’ve been told to hate eSports.

Like this. The event was put on by both organizations but it was totally MLG’s fault that fighting games had less space.
Damn, I’ve never been to a fighting game tournament that wasn’t cramped.

The amazing thing is that they’ve managed to feed Capcom this MLG-is-the-devil line.

MLG knows all the players hate the continuation rule yet they won’t budge from their position to enforce it. It’s how they act now that makes them unpopular with people who don’t feel like they really need them.

And by players, we’re not just talking the FGC. Even those from other games/communities hate it too.

What the heck is there to explain other than money money money money money money WAHHHHHH!!! LOOK AT HOW THOSE “PROS” ARE SUFFERING AFTER HAVING NO JOBS AND SPENDING 10 HOURS A DAY ON FIGHTING GAMES!!! THEY NEED MONEY!!!.

The article does’nt seem bad. But hopefully the next entry does reference some of the stuff that some FGC members feel the overview lacks,

The next article is going to be dry, I am going to explain what games are popular in the scene at the moment. I will be including Smash Brothers due to EVO 2013.

Edit: Not even popular per-say, but relevant. I.E. Vitua Fighter and Melty Blood.

You might want to avoid using the world relevant when it comes to discussing games. That will lead you into a bigger cluster fuck than using the term “Fighting Game Community.”