Arms: Nintendo Switch Fighting Arena Game

Why are people calling this a fighter? It looks like a 3rd person shooter.

Why delete it? What you said is correct. Motion controls are the optimal way to play the game which means that it needs to be played that way in order to be played competitively.

Ahhh… didn’t see that… fuck Nintendo in this regard

So basically couch co-op only works with two joy cons. Garbage

Shooters aren’t RPS based and usually aren’t 1v1 either. And it doesn’t really look much different than other arena fighters.

It’s RPS based? I didn’t realize that.

Thats the single joycon button scheme
It was never going to be good in that one. What matters here is the pro controller schene

You have attack, block and throw and they work like in any fighting game.

It’s exactly the same when using the Pro controller (at least if EDGE is to be believed). Probably to avoid that Pro users have an advantage over single-Joycon users when matched together online.

Motion controls is really the way to go with this game. Which also means it’s inferior in handheld mode unfortunately.

I accidentally double posted, lol

lmao.

As for the game, and the switch as a whole. No thanks until some actual good shit comes out.

It sounds like people are saying it’s not a fighting game because it’s an arena game, or it’s optimized for motion controls. Does it have to be enough of a Street Fighter Clone to be a fight game? Is Super Smash Brothers not a fighting game because it’s four player or has platforming aspects and has more simple controls? Is Power Stone not a fighting game because it takes place on a plane, has weapon pickups, and, for number 2, is 4 players?

Personally I think the fighting game community ruined Smash Bros because of the insistence on no weapon pickups. I don’t play in the ranked modes because they suck the fun out of it by taking away all weapon pickups, at the request of the serious fighters. Frankly there no point in playing Smash without the pickups. Is Bomberman a good competitive game, despite the fact there’s random power ups (and downs)?

I think it comes down being number 1 at more than one game. Pros would like 100% of the skills they learn in one game to translate into another. It’s like a good NBA player insisting on being a good basketball player in the Naismith game. One rule change fundmentally changes the nature of Basketball, the dribble rule. In the old days you couldn’t dribble the ball. There’s people who play Naismith style basketball, just as many as play Super Street fighter 2 for the Genesis. You can’t drive to the hoop in Naismith style basketball, just like there’s no supers in SSF2NC.

Unfortunately for sportsmen, fortunately for game companies, innovation, not stability rule in the game making world. There are constantly new games coming out which shakes up the pot. Frankly the motion controls are what defines Arms. Even though the twin sticks doesn’t have a Virtual On control, where you have to manually pivot to face an opponent, which I was expecting, it gives you great control of your punches, rotating your wrists to throw curve shots. The analog-ness give it a personality and makes video games in general a competitive sport.

People are saying if it doesn’t have crossups, or high/low, or any small detail it’s not a fighting game. Hence why Baseball is different from Football (Soccer, American, and Australian) That’s why people who do one thing well enough to be pro usually don’t do another well enough to be pro. There are execptions: Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Bobby Lashley, Brock Lesnar,

I know someone who was famous for being an all around great gamer. He specializes in contests where the game that are played are unknown until competition time. There are some gamed he never played before and does well in them. He doesn’t do THAT well when it’s one game known and practiced well in advance. A quote on the show describes him perfectly. To paraphrase: You may beat me in one game but put up 3 or 4 other ones, I’ll whoop your butt. It seems like the number 1 player of game 1 wants to do well in every game. When you’re the jack of all games, you are usually the ace of none. (with ace being the number 1 practiced one game 8 hours a day.)

Yes, Smash isn’t a fighting game.