Aren't I supposed to be improving?

If u continue to call people random ass it shows u have no desire to win. Fundamentals beat randomness anyday. Even randomness is totally legit because if u suprise yourself chances are u r going to surprise ur opponent. If a pro does random its called yomi, daigo himself does random stuff that makes no sense. The japs believe in randomness like Dieminion. If u r not random u r predictable. If u r predictable u get blown up. Once u learn to have a solid base then look out for those moments u expect randomness then punish it. Be random, but safely random.

Really loves this post…kudos to you. The bold ones remind me of this:

I didn’t mean to piss off Da-Stangy…but this is the truth.

http://www.stickfreaks.com/images/flowchart_ryu.jpg

Its better to press ALT-F4 (during selection screen)
rather than stuck in this kinda of fight…even worse, if its against Ryu. Yyyawwwnnn

The amount of stupid that has filled this thread is overwhelming…annnnnnnnnd here comes either Sorrow or ugo with another response thats just going to prove my point.

Im definitely avoiding alerts based on this thread from here on out. Lates.

Some people have been playing this game for nearly 5 years now. 3 months is nothing.

Learning to play against bad players is something that is overlooked quite often, but it’s a very necessary skill in newer games like SSFIV and UMvC3 because they give beginners powerful tools. There are so many things that you need to be wary of in these games that you can sort of overlook in older titles. One of the key things is to know what these things are:
eg. What does the opponent do on wakeup? Reversal? Backdash? Focus Backdash? Jab? Jump? etc. Also, it’s also important to look at what they don’t do. They might mixup all their defensive options but completely avoid blocking.

How do they defend against offensive pressure? Block? Mash reversal? Backdash? Counter-throw/poke?

What do they do after a throw is teched? Do they take offensive initiative? Do they guess a counter-attack (like pre-emptively jumping over a fireball)? Or do they wait and react?

How do they react to fireballs? Walk forward and block? Neutral jump? Guess jump? Focus backdash?

At what range do they prefer to play at? Are they comfortable at footsie range or do they want more space between you and them?

Learning to read patterns and habits will take you much longer than 3 months of play, but it will help you make better decisions against all types of players. Knowing that someone likes to mash DP can also be an indicator that they can’t handle pressure very well. Those Ken players with “random ass playstyles” might not seem so random once you figure out what makes them tick.

As Daigo remarked in one of his first interviews about his performance in SFIV:
“I can instantly tell opponents apart and categorise them into groups and types according to their personality and weaknesses.”

I can assure you he did not acquire this skill during those few months that SFIV was out. You’ll also find other interviews of him talking about how he approaches a match vs an unknown opponent. He’ll start by throwing fireballs to see how they react, and then he uses that knowledge to form a strategy against them.

Just stick it out and play more matches. Try to spot player habits and patterns and learn to exploit them.

hahahaa, call me out whenever you feel like it, unfortunately there is no point in dragging with you, SF is relatively simple you win you played great, you lose you got out played. you lose to a random you got MAJORLY outplayed and its your fault for pushing buttons.

In this discussion I think you’re caught up too much by the usage of the word ‘random.’ People don’t mean ‘random’ in terms of statistical predictability (or lack thereof), in this case, they mean thoughtless and uncalculated.

Randomness in these games should be a calculated gamble, where the favor of the gamble is dependent upon already gathered data.

I mean, you can’t expect to be taken seriously in an argument when you promote a statement such as ‘Even randomness is totally legit because if u suprise yourself chances are u r going to surprise ur opponent.’

The difference is, you can’t expect people who are random without the knowledge of the potential outcomes of their decision. If you don’t know exactly what the outcomes are, you’re not winning through skill, because you simply don’t know whether it’ll work or not. You’re winning through chance. Instead of playing Street Fighter, you should play Coin Flipper.

And the biggest reason it’s bad, is because it is mathematically TERRIBLE. Even if you have a perfect cycle of randomness, that in itself is mathematically bad for say, a tournament setting, because you can lose just as easily as you can win, and the outcome isn’t up to you, but your enemy. If you are perfectly random, the entire outcome of the match depends only on your enemy, because you aren’t even making any decisions.

As for OP, you have to learn how to identify players by looking at their behaviors along with general safe stuff to do that make these players freak out.

To be honest, I think that playing against scrubs does help you get better. The fact that they use “scrubby” tactics and get away with it means that you haven’t understood how to counter it yet. So, I suggest you might as well grind it out and continue researching how to play the footsies aspect of your character (setups aren’t going to teach you what this game is fundamentally about - the ground game).

Owh i see what you mean, its the same like Kikuichimonji post earlier.

I think its better and nicer to call it “blind execution” rather than random…
(due to uncalculated gambling and solely-known zero outcome “dice rolling”)
if we use the word random,
sounds like we don’t respect other type of game,
(e.g: Texas hold Em’ Poker, yahtzee or other boardgames)

Actually its not the word random that bugging me much,
its the ragemail i receive says
i just randomly pull out illegit ultra,
thus entitled me for “just luck” victory…
so offending eh?

Ragequit…yessss, most of online scrub did rq after my ultra finish them off completely,
suprisingly, sometimes during casual and tourney, my dread dust of u2 did turn-off their
face expression into a such dissapointment.
but thing will be different if they finished the casual game
by rushdown (ok by me) or “worse”, turtling…

and when i asked other people’s opinion why (my local friends and other forums),
they came out with same phrase…“that’s just a random Cody shit save your ass, dude”

so how can i wanna have fun if my opponent stressed-out, hate randomness and eventually avoiding me?
i play a lots of slow approach, ground normal + AA, keep-away ruffian,
hit n run commands, footsies and cheap string (NeutralJ-HP, Cr-HP + ZonkMP = chunk meaty life!),
Still, I do read their bad habits of spamming …
(outreach sweep, post-blockstring sweep/footsies, kara-attempt, and blind-throwing projectile)
So, is it my fault to pull unwarned dread dust of u2 after i anticipate all the possibilities based on above basis?
e.g:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/75478492/ragequitter12112012.jpg

Relax bro…
we just got insulted by underage puberty kids.
no biggie…

Final point is that when the announcer says ‘FIGHT’ everything you or your opponent do is fair and legal. Your job is to win, if he’s throwing caution to the wind then it shud be an easy win. That’s all I’m trying to say

How many of these threads do we really need? In the future, people wanting to lament their leveling up woes in a new thread: please make a B-line to the Saikyo board. Thanks!