Any tips against the Trish matchup?

I just realized a huge majority in my group of friends (like 3 out of 4 people) are playing Trish on their main teams. Everytime I go up against Trish, all they do with her is just super jump back, lay down traps, and throw a low voltage at me, and they’re really no surefire way of getting in on her with those traps in the way. I play Zero/Doom/Arthur so I have no way of teleporting behind her and getting in, and even with Doom missiles backing me up, it’s hard for me to get in with Doom without Trish going for a dive kick and getting a free combo. What is the best way to get in on Trish with Doom while avoiding the traps?

Play it equally lame? Stay in your top quadron of the screen and throw finger lasers (1, fly, 3, unfly) until she decides that game is boring and rushes in on you. Mix it up with hidden missles when you get the space on the ground and it shouldn’t be too bad?

Hi Alex, If i am not mistaken, you can lame her our more so than she could vs your doom. What I mean by this is if you also super jump up-back followed by an air dash up back, fly, shoot lasers(photon shot), she cannot continue to play lame if you have the life lead. (do this by shooting a finger laser at the start of the round for chip and do as i have stated above.) Furthermore, if she decides to continue to play lame and user her flight followed by a round harvest, you can fight this using the butter gun and spacing (j.HP)

My advice is to pester her like she is pestering you(give her a taste of her own medicine ;)), doom has a difficult time being in-your-face offensive without taking the risk of getting smack while tri-jumping to get close. This is why a large portion of players who use doom like Strider Vajra behind him, so the opponent doesnt just press buttons while running away from dooms offense.

one more thing, if you are directly under Trish as she is about to dive kick, tri-dash to the other side and go for an air grab. (this is usually done before traps are placed)

If the Trish is dive kick happy, try using HARD KICK( f.HP), its really fast and can stuff a large amount of moves, but its risky to mistime it or if you spam it, on the other hand, if you hit her out of her dive kick with hard kick, you get a combo of your choice.

Hope some of these tricks help.

Everything SehMehNov said is good advice and in addition, here is my mentality when dealing with Trish

Fighting Trish is a matter of discipline which means you have to think less about opening her up and more about winning the battle of attrition. I’m not saying don’t capitalize if you see a chance, but I am saying that her defensive options are hard enough to deal with since they can stop a lot of approaches.

1. Gain Air Superiority: Trish can’t function very well unless she is above her opponent, which means you should always be looking to attack her from a higher level. A single hidden missile is a great tool as it is relatively safe against her when she is hovering in the air as it forces her to move around. Your goal is to get her to have to descend and then get above her to start inflicting damage. Also, on the ground photon shot is another good option as it more or less forces her to the ground while you can get above her.

2. Chip is the name of the game: Trish has low(ish) health and low chip damage and Doom has moderate health and high chip damage. Play this to your advantage. If the Trish player wants to hang back, pester her with photon shot and a hidden missile. Then, instead of trying to go in on her (her normals beat Doom’s normals), Rain on the chip. One way I deal with Trish players is fire a hidden missle and on her way down, pin her down with Dorm Black Hole Assist and fire of some beams from the sky, cancel into fly and get away from her (since she lacks any real AA that covers a high vertical distance.) Rinse and repeat. You can literally take 150,000 easily off of Trish with this as it is completely safe for the most part and she is really forced into burning meter to try and punish you. The real game starts when Trish wants to play rushdown as she is not exactly built for rushdown.

3. Take advantage of Trish’s lack of a good ground approach: Trish has incredible normals and is relatively safe with them so you aren’t going to win a footsie match with her. Her standing :h: alone is enough to dominate some matchups, but her biggest weakness is her inability to really dominate the ground and keep you pinned at the same time. Use this to your advantage. Plasma Beam :l: is something she can’t really fight against and since her projectile is kind of slow, you can use Rocks for their intended purpose of soaking up a projectile and then gaining momentum. This leads to Trish having to basically wave dash (or square jump) to get in which shouldn’t be hard to avoid if you have decent movement with Doom.

4. Meter is where the battle is: Trish needs meter more than almost any other character as her boomerang super can literally shut down an opponent for a bit (and setup brutal mixups/unblockables) and Max Voltage is a really good punishment tool. When she has meter, be cautious and always try to be attack from two angles. For example if you call Arthur to throw some daggers at her from ground level and then attack her from the sky with Plasma Beam, she can’t really do anything since Max Voltage doesn’t cover her in the air. By always trying to attack from an angle she can’t attack, you can also basically negate her excellent uses of meter. Doom on the other hand has mediocre hypers but in this case, they can serve their purpose really well. Use photon array to make space if Trish is too close to you and it’s okay to use Sphere Flame as an AA, since it really hard to punish if someone is coming from above you and you use it preemptively.

Trish is IMO one the hardest characters in Marvel to both fight against and play because her style is very unorthodox and different (especially when you consider the system mechanics of the game). However, once you treat the match-up more like a zoning / chip battle instead of a rush down bonanza (like how most marvel matches are) you’ll quickly see she’s not all that bad, just really annoying.

Hope that helps!

Strider Vajra assist helps a lot. I try to throw out ground photon shots and hidden missiles mixed with vajra because they all either track or take up the full screen. Gets her to do something else other than stay up in the sky and then eventually take a more grounded approach. If something crazy happens and you die any way…Strider is coming to do something good.