An interesting thought on XBL and gamer tags

I came across this thread (http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=239410&page=4) and wondered whether I’d be able to use my current alias on xbl (Atheismftw). So I hunted down the XBL TOS and these three sub paragraphs stood out:

How you may not use the service:

-Create a Gamertag , avatar or use text in other profile fields that may offend other members. This includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate or relate to any of the following: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities;

Don’t create a gamertag, profile content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by, this includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate any of the following: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

Don’t create a gamertag, profile content, or in-game content that references controversial religious topics, notorious people, organizations, or sensitive current or historical events that may also be considered inappropriate.

So what do you guys think? I have some answers to the points above.

I think it’s a pretty impersonal gamertag so I’d going for something with a little more flavor but, if you do and they deem it unworthy do you get a name change for free?

nope you do not get a name change for free even if people complained about your tag and they made you change it you still gotta pay!!

and just make that your name if you want and its available then go for it,
i think it only matters when people complain or file a complaint against your tag,
Then maybe you will have some problems…

i agree think of something better

Like everything else in life, though, you might be able to argue your way out of this one by claiming that you’re an old alpha player it’s your favorite game and that this gt is in memory of that great game.

A the ISM ftw

edit: i forgot its v in alpha, and A in cvs2

so argue cvs2 instead of alpha

haha Dander oh that is good stuff man, thanks. But I’ll have to pay greedsoft to change my name should they demand it be changed? Can’t say I’m surprised.

eh u can pretty much use any gamer tag until someone lets there little kid get on xbox live n they see it then report you, or someone thinks its funny to report u sigh. But yeah it will probably last a while if you use it maybe even a year +. If they demand it changed its free but you have to change it or you cant play live

False.

I created a gamertag which I LOVED, but it got banned the next day.

it was: AGuyYourMomBlew

I got a message from XBOX that it violated their policy, and they allowed me to change it for free.

Dpspam I lol’ed at your new tag…Atheismftw to Theism Ftl…

I actually believe in god but I can appreciate a good sense of humor, people need to quit being so sensitive…as for “AGuyYourMomBlew”, also a hilarious tag, but more suited to be deemed offensive. Still shouldn’t have had to change it.

banned for that gamertag. It’s not that bad.
AGuyYourMomBlew…that’s funny! :stuck_out_tongue:

I can also confirm this is false. Back when Xbox live first started I had my original tag for about 2 years and they made me change it. All they do is prompt you to change your gamertag, which is free, and you can’t play until you do change it.