Ammy Point? Middle? Anchor?

Was thinking of picking up Ammy. Just had a few general questions.

1. Where does she excel and why?
  2. Can she pull of all positions?
  3. What are her weak points?
  4. What are her best normals.

Please any help will be greatly appreciated!

1. She has many tools to handle any matchup on point. The problem is using them at the right time, and her risk/reward. She must typically get 2-3 combos to get a kill. Characters that have powerful DHC’s are recommended.

2. Yes. On point she has the tools needed to beat most of the cast. On second slot she has the best lockdown assist and a 95% DHC into OS or VoM. As an anchor she’s one of the best. She gets Glaive infinites and sick confirms into death.

3. Full screen hypers are a pain, causing her to stop air dashing, limiting her air mobility. Flight characters are a pain to chase down. Low damage air to ground combos. Her biggest flaw is her low health.

4. Cr. L, st. M, Glaives’ F+hhhh chain, and j. H, and st. H, and Glaive stab, Rosarys’ j. H, Solar Flares’ F+hhhhh chain, j. L, j. M, and finally Solar Flares’ j. H.

OMG! Thank you so much.

I’m a bit confused by this part though : ( i’m completely n00b with ammy

What’re you confused with specifically?

I get it now. I watched 1 & 2 so far of the videos you posted last night. I’m at work but I’m gonna watch the rest here in a bit. Slow day at the office. I was just confused on which weapon weapon we were talking about for each of these normals but I understand it now.

I was kind of having a bit of trouble grasping her basic combos. Learning ammy really starts with just learning how to switch weapons on the fly and being able to switch from Solar Flares to Glaive for more dmg without dropping the combos correct?

That’s what I was practicing for a bit last night. Confusing a bit. But from what I was in the videos it looks very rewarding to learn how to play Ammy because she has such a aggressive (looks aggressive at least) rush down as well as decent zoning with the help of an assist.

She’s holding my interest which is really good. I tend to just pick a character up, learn a few combos then get bored of it before I ever really take it into some games. Hope that doesn’t happen here.

Yea. She rewards good fundamentals. It’s her design. She was literally made to overcome any matchup. It’s hard at first because you keep dying, but if you keep playing her, trust me. You’ll love her :slight_smile:

She has such a flexible playstyle, and many things that make other characters jealous. But it takes longer to know when and how to use those tools. When you do she won’t let you down.

This. This so much.

I’ve been telling almost everyone that Amaterasu is one of the most mentally stressful and experience-demanding characters in this game. That still hasn’t changed.

In fact her glaring weakness just happens to be that she doesn’t specialize in anything.

If you try to play her without flexibility, she’s just going to be dead weight. It’s the flexibility that makes her a good character, capable of making any matchup at the worst a neutral matchup. But you can only learn to exploit her full flexibility with experience.

I’ve been playing middle Amaterasu since vanilla Day 1, and I only actually began to unlock her true potential just a few months ago. She’s just that demanding. (also for the fact that I don’t have a console at home lol)

Well. I got good with Ammy by playing her on all positions, playing numerous characters in the cast, and using what I’ve learned from online play.

Also, knowing when to switch her weapon plays a huge part as well. Using the Reflector will only get you so far with characters like Dante or lvl 4/5 frank.

Anchor is by far her best position. She’s a great comeback character, can fight any other anchor in the game fairly well and with alot of leftover meter is a beast. I also think she has trouble making the best of some of the game’s better assists due to the range of her normals, so she’s best going solo. Plus being last means both your first and 2nd characters get access to Cold Star.

She’s okay on point, very very good at getting and holding a lead, and again can play every matchup with good fundamentals. The problem is she’s only really good with a select few assists, and the worst problem is that she doesn’t hit hard enough. Her health can also be a liability against chip-heavy characters.

2nd is… alright, better if you can do her infinite. She has safe DHC’s and you still get access to her infinite. However if you have a character up front who wants to make use of her THC, this is her worst position because you’re rarely gonna have enough meter to use it. Okami Shuffle is a very low-damage DHC also.

I recommend running her on point so you can learn her fundamentals, movement, combos, etc., then when you feel you’re ready promote yourself to an anchor Ammy team. Speaking of which, what team are you interested in running?

You know what, everytime I see someone mention anchor being Amaterasu’s best position, I feel bad a bit; because my anchor Ammy is SO BAD and my teams that excel actually have usually Amaterasu on point (though my most successful team is Amaterasu second).

Well maybe that’s an exaggeration; I still get the Amaterasu comebacks even without X-Factor, but I end up wrecking more people with Amaterasu on point than in any other position. I feel that Amaterasu being second in my team is really what’s holding my main team back (since it’s usually Felicia that does all the work and when she doesn’t, Amaterasu has some pretty weak defensive options on incoming), but Dante is just the better anchor and second is Felicia’s worst position… In fact it’s the order crisis that’s pretty much making me force Amaterasu on second. Which is weird because Amaterasu is my mainest-main (lol word) yet she’s the one I can’t fit.

Honestly, I feel it depends on each different and unique team. One of my mains teams are Ammy/Morrigan/Vergil, and I can get through the match just fine thanks to my awesome use of her flexibility. VoM into Astral Vision gives me such a huge opportunity to chip or even Switch out to Vergil, get a combo going, and then switch back out to Morrigan or even Ammy to keep my momentum. Again, I feel it depends on a person’s personal taste in their options for building a team.

Interesting. It took me awhile to figure out what order I wanted in one of my teams and I decided that it would be Ammy/Morrigan/Vergil.

Ammy is on point to take advantage of her high flexibility that enables me to abuse Morrigan’s DH assist and use rapid slash to help her neutral and convert combo enders into cold star L/M or I can end it with OS or VoM into AV, then either use her soul fist to rush down or wall the opponent out. Depending on the opponent I’m facing I can raw tag out into Ammy or even Vergil if I get the soul fist juggle to keep my momentum going.

Morrigan is second because she is the ‘glue’ of the team that supplies virtually infinite meter and DHCing into AV opens up MANY options of action. Raw tags, zoning, mixups, rush down, and lockdown. I have three good assists backing her in case I want to get in or stay away (Bloom for infinite AV=massive chip, cold star=insane chip and/or mixups, and rapid slash aids in both).

Vergil is on anchor because of the godly lvl 3 xfactor buff, his great assist and surprisingly, he enables my team to get more damage with his wall bounce extension, raw tags with his lunar phase, roundtrip, and helm breaker. And I can even put him on point with cold star helping with combo extension and granting insane lockdown and chip. The DH assist means I have all the meter I need with no worries (meaning spiral swords can be spammed over and over).

Other than rewarding good fundamentals for using her on point, she is one of those rare ‘filler’ characters. She can be put on literally any team because of her two great assists, great DHC’s (despite the low damage), awesome THC, ok TAC’s, and a amazing lvl 3 X-Factor.

There is no wrong way to effectively play with her.