Am I the only guy that turtles with seth 99% of the time?

I pretty much run away the whole game, throwing fireballs/dhalsim punch and when i get near the wall, i do a wall jump so I can repeat it over and over.

The reason why i do this is because

1. I’m a pad player and it’s hard for me to do links, so any combo that requires a link is hard(especially online)

2. because I can’t do links, one mistake=your dead

3. it’s harder for your opponent to gain meter

4. seth has plenty of zoning options and great escapes(wall jump)

i have a 215 win 60 loss record with this tactic and currently at 3070 PP on a 18 game winning streak.

PSN= COWARDPlayer5000

the reason why i do this is because I was a big fan of arturo who used seth for defensive purpose. Ever since then, it became very effective(especially against scrubs online who don’t know how to beat my zoning).

btw, i get a ton of nasty messages after i beat them sayiing “i suck,” “i’m a noob” “no skill at all” “you should kill yourself” “quit fighting games because you suck”

i mean seriously,it’s a strategy, don’t like it? THEN YOU SUCK AT Street fighter. Any1 else play like me?

Wrong part of the forum to be asking this (check the SF4AE Seth section), but to answer your question simply: there’s nothing wrong about zoning with Seth. It’s an option of his that is used less because of his strong offensive tools, but as long as you’re winning while staying full screen then chuck that plasma all you want. He used to be a lot better at zoning back in Vanilla/Super where J. RH existed and made his matchup vs Gief an unbeatable one, but if you can keep someone out with basic Ryu-esque footsies (fireball out of distance of longest jump-in, uppercut if they jump) then you’re pretty much using Seth’s zoning to it’s full ability.

The only problem is that, in high level play at tournaments or possibly in higher BP if people are competent enough, a simple strat like that can be exploited. That’s why you rarely see Daigo, for example, just sitting back and chucking plasma, then uppercutting jump-ins. He has the option to play offensive when he needs to, which is usually how he overcomes any tough matchup. You want a mixture of both, so if being on pad is hindering the offensive part of your style then I would recommend either:

1.) Save up for a stick. If your execution is off by any amount, you will get destroyed by real players. You can beast on scrubs online with anything because most don’t understand the fundamentals of the game. You could literally do the same thing that you’re doing with any fireball character. Wall jump isn’t as safe as you’d think and Seth’s options get hurt in the corner.

2.) Learn how to plink on pad. It’s possible.

3.) Play not-Seth. As much as you have the option to run away for days, you’re not utilizing Seth to his full potential and will get screwed over when someone competent faces you. It’ll get you BP for awhile, if that’s really what you care about, but once you get to the higher ranks you’ll start to realize how flawed running away with fireballs and then walljumping from your problems is.

All in all, pick Ryu or Guile if you really want to do this. Both rely on defensive styles, whereas Seth heavily relies on playing both offensive and defensive no matter what part of the match he’s in.

Also, if you think you get hate mail playing turtle Seth, you should see how much hate mail you’d get for 50/50 Seth. :wgrin: